cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for newer RV; How to calculate weight

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are trying to make an educated choice on a new/newer 5th wheel. We now have a 92 Lance 24 foot unit. I am an electrician and do most of our home remodeling and repairs. I don't want some type of super cheap RV that every time I touch it for repairs the RV falls apart in your hands, and is a nightmare to repair. Looking to keep this upgraded 5th wheel for 10 years plus hopefully.

Pushing it, my wife says we would be travel for up to four months straight each year. I would like to find a nice used 5th wheel because RV's depreciate so fast: 50% within five years.

So, I heard that Redwood 5th wheels are at the top of the quality list and yes, very pricy, starting around $65,000 and upward to $135,000. At this time I would like to have a budget of $30,000 to $50,000 for a nice used unit. Maybe we are just out of our league and dreaming! Also trying to compare Montana, Cedar Creek, Jayco and Hitchhiker, for example.

In the near, say three years, I plan on retiring and would like a new or newer truck and a nice 5th wheel. I find myself questioning about spending close to $100,000 to go RVing four mouths out of the year. But on the other hand what did we save for and after working in subfreezing weather, summer heat, putting two kids through private school and college; just maybe we earned the right to sit by a mountain stream in a comfortable RV. I guess we all have our little dreams.

Please tell us about your Redwood RV or any other suggestions. If you could be of any help it would be much appreciated.

One of my biggest struggles now is to find out exactly how much my existing truck can safely tow. It seems that it is very difficult for people on this forum to explain to someone who knows very little about this subject what the following words mean: pin weight, GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, GHWR. I need to know the exact meanings of these weight words, how to find them, what the safe percentages are to use in calculations.

I am anxious to find out the answers to both of my topics -- please help!
Chuck
18 REPLIES 18

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck: I see the weight police are out in full force. We see them very often throwing around letters and numbers, and things get a little complicated.

The model fifth wheels you're talking about buying are what they call full size fifth wheels, and many will have 3,000 lbs. Pin weight and a total trailer weight pushing 14,000 lbs.

To keep things simple, a full size fifth wheel takes a 1 ton dual rear wheel diesel truck as a tow vehicle.

I already have a 3/4 ton crewcab diesel pickup that's good for 2,500 lbs. pin weight and 13,200 lbs. trailer weight. I just bought a 2015 Grand Design Reflection 37' 4 slider bunkhouse trailer that weighs 11K and has a Pin weight of 2,050 lbs. I'm under on total weight, but max'd out on tongue/pin weight. But with a 60 hp tow tune on the engine, it can yank my trailer.

Wait around, read a lot and join all the manufacturers' owners blogs. Follow them closely, and listen to what owners are saying. And go to any RV Shows that are in your area. You will figure out pretty fast what brands and models suit your specific needs. You can certainly meet your needs with what funds you want to put out--maybe even new.

Gary42
Explorer
Explorer
When you look at used trailers and find one you like, ask dealer or owner of trailer to furnish you a copy of a certified weight ticket for that particular trailer. The weight ticket is the only truthful thing about the trailer you can use to make your decision. Weigh your truck, don't depend on a brochure for your real truck weight. Use those weights prior to making a final purchase decision. Dealers or trailer owners who balk at doing this are probably not someone to do business with.

spickens7
Explorer
Explorer
Went through this earlier this year. The links below will help you determine what your vehicle can safely pull. You may need to get the towing guide for your vehicle from the manufacturerโ€™s web site.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-how-to/trailer-tech/choosing-the-right-tow-vehicle/

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a towing capacity guide for quite a number of trucks..
1999 truck towing guide, multi-model
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op asks wrote:
One of my biggest struggles now is to find out exactly how much my existing truck can safely tow. It seems that it is very difficult for people on this forum to explain to someone who knows very little about this subject what the following words mean: pin weight, GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, GHWR. I need to know the exact meanings of these weight words, how to find them, what the safe percentages are to use in calculations.

Agree with anaro on looking at the redwoodowners.com and thor.com forums for input from other Redwood owners.
Same with the other brands...its best to go to those brands forums also for lots of input.

I see on another post you have a '99 2500 Dodge/Cummins with a 8800 GVWR and a 6084 RAWR. Asking for legal weight advice on a RV website is always a hoot. My advise is see your state size and weights guys for how much load your truck can carry safely/legally.

I also see in another post you ask about what are your legal weights.
GVWR/GCWR isn't part of any legal numbers for how much weight any truck can carry or pull.
GHWR ?? Never heard of it.
Axles/tires carry the load which in the case of 5th wheel trailer its the pin weight on the trucks rear axle/tires.
Run some approx numbers here from another post you say your trucks rear axle weighs 2760 lbs. Subtract that from the trucks 6084 RAWR leaves approx 3300 lbs on the rear axle/tires for a legal payload per your states max weight code which will be legal everywhere.

Don't confuse that 3300 lbs with how much pin weight your truck can carry as the hitch and other gear will be subtracted from that number.
Basically your looking at a 2300-2400 dry pin weight for that year model 2500 truck.

Now how much weight can your 2500 pull ?? Depends on axle ratio/manual vs auto tranny but it runs from 9900 lbs with a 3.54 to 14000 lbs with a 4.10 rear axle ratio.

IMO a older OEM '99 2500 Dodge/Cummins isn't up to towing a 16k GVWR trailer.
Edit; changed wording
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck,

what truck do you have?
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've missed up on weights more then once. Decided to get it right as we aim to get a larger trailer. Last March I began to study a truck that would handle a larger Lifestyle. Settled on a Ford F350 DRW, camping package, and towing package. I wanted max towing and max pin capacity. You need to know your truck. Then you stated you want quality. I've heard very little about a redwood having quality. Pretty, but many problems. Carriage built an excellent product. It would serve you well. Also Excel, Hitchhiker, Mobile Suites, and probably Open Range would be OK. I've been through all those without quality. I've had it with poorly made trailers.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
All RV's have their quality control problems. If you purchase a new fiver chances are you will have it back at a dealer prior to your warranty expiring.

I think anyone starting out, especially if they are starting out as full timers or long timers, should take their time and find a good clean used unit. The key with a used unit is you have to make sure there are no hidden problems, but generally speaking most of the "bugs" are already worked out.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
RedWood is nowhere near the top. A used Carriage product, Excel, DRV, Montana, Lifestyle, would be my choices for a quality built used rig that can withstand extended use.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a friend who owns an established RV dealership (in Canada.) He picked up Redwood when they first came out. Six months later he dropped them due to quality problems.

If dealers do not like the construction quality, what next??
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

randeez2001
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck - In September 2013 we bought a 2014 Redwood 36RL. We just traded it in on a 2015 Landmark Newport. Our time with the Redwood wasn't a pleasant one. It was in the shop more than on the road and when we were living in it, there was always numerous warranty issues that we were having to deal with. We took a beating on the trade-in, but we had lost all confidence in the Redwood unit. We're hoping the Landmark will go better for us, if it doesn't, we're just going to quit RVing all together. Good Luck!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I are trying to make an educated choice on a new/newer 5th wheel. We now have a 92 Lance 24 foot unit. I am an electrician and do most of our home remodeling and repairs. I don't want some type of super cheap RV that every time I touch it for repairs the RV falls apart in your hands, and is a nightmare to repair. Looking to keep this upgraded 5th wheel for 10 years plus hopefully.

Just a suggestion. You might look into a good used Arctic Fox. They are built strong.

Pushing it, my wife says we would be travel for up to four months straight each year. I would like to find a nice used 5th wheel because RV's depreciate so fast: 50% within five years.

So, I heard that Redwood 5th wheels are at the top of the quality list and yes, very pricy, starting around $65,000 and upward to $135,000. At this time I would like to have a budget of $30,000 to $50,000 for a nice used unit. Maybe we are just out of our league and dreaming! Also trying to compare Montana, Cedar Creek, Jayco and Hitchhiker, for example.

In the near, say three years, I plan on retiring and would like a new or newer truck and a nice 5th wheel. I find myself questioning about spending close to $100,000 to go RVing four mouths out of the year. But on the other hand what did we save for and after working in subfreezing weather, summer heat, putting two kids through private school and college; just maybe we earned the right to sit by a mountain stream in a comfortable RV. I guess we all have our little dreams.

You might compare four months of hotel/motel expenses that bring back nothing in resale later to help think through the costs of an RV. That could be around $12,000 a year for a nice hotel for four months.

Please tell us about your Redwood RV or any other suggestions. If you could be of any help it would be much appreciated.

Start with the manufacturer's towing guide for the truck you have or want. It is pretty well laid out in most guides. Ford does a very nice job even explaining the power penalty differences by altitude between normally aspirated gas and turbocharged diesel engines; and the 'frontal' area deduct for towing a travel trailer or a fifth wheel. Just be sure to get enough truck for the fifth wheel.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I think your first step is deciding on a general size and floor plan that you both really want. If you come up with such a target make/model then you can start studying how much it weighs and try to figure out how much truck you will need to pull it. Just remember all your "stuff" will add significant weight to the factory listed weight. We added over 2,000 pounds.

Step two for you would be to get the truck. I would get a little more truck than you think you actually need. We were under on all of our weight limits with the first fiver. Now with the new one we are right at the maximum.

I also did not want to spend $100,000 so we decided on what we wanted and began looking for used. Our goal was to get "the most bang for our buck". Our first fiver was only 5 years old, perfect condition, 38' long, and purchased for way under $30,000.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
You have received some good info regarding weight. To find out more about the redwood, you might want to check out The redwood owners forum and the Thor owners forum as thor is redwoods parent company. You will find all manufacturers make great trailers and all manufacturers make lemons. The key is to find the trailer that fits your needs and your budget. The one brand that tends to stand heads and tails above all others has been the arctic Fox. Some of the older cruisers and carriage fivers had great reputations too.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014