cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to install inside handrail

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't really find a thread on this so....

Want to install a wood decorative handrail on the outside wall going up to the bedroom.

Anyone have experience or info on this like where to purchase etc...?

Thanks in advance.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel
13 REPLIES 13

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Steel or wrought iron vertical post mounted to the floor butted up against the wall?????
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
When healing from a broken ankle I pulled the wooden handle out of the wall, so DH took the handle and installed it on the left side on the corner. It is quite solid now. Coming down the stairs I was able to use it, and reach over to the screen door handle we put on fairly high and come down the stairs, and get up into the walker! Fun fun!!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our 5er in 2009, we had the dealer install a hand rail on the outside wall(right side going up the stairs). It's sturdy and my wife uses it all the time. I'm thinking it was attached to outside wall studs. It's placed in the middle of the stairs. It's wood and actually is the same as the inside rail at the door. If you're going to install it yourself, get a stud finder and hunt for them. The studs in our 5er are metal.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to use a door hinge side of a wall to connect a handle. The hinge area had additional structural members within the wall to securely attach the handle.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on your particular configuration.

I installed an RV grab handle on the left side. That side had a curved wall and the wall had the small pantry behind it.

Cut a couple of access (square) holes in the pantry wall, glued in the reinforcements for the handle, screwed on the handle from the outside, and then put a couple of luan patches on the interior pantry wall.

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
I was luckily able to mount the upper end of a handrail by drilling through the interior wall of the bathroom using one of the screw holes of the toilet paper holder to attach both pieces of hardware securely. The lower end I secured into a plastic anchor...... so far so good!
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Rockler.com for woodworking parts. A backer would be one way to distribute the force of a handrail. In addition you might consider floor mounted brackets. Or both.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
You might have to install an exposed backer board. This involves making a nicely finished board that span the entire area where the hand rail will be mounted. I have done then in 3/4" Oak with nicely routered edges and a nice stain and urethane finish. This board is screwed to anything and everything that's structural in the wall. It then becomes the mounting surface for the hand rail brackets. You may have seen something similar in public bathrooms, as it's a common technique for securely mounting handicap grab rails to an existing wall, where studs do not end up in places that would be suitable for mounting the bar, and there is no blocking installed inside the wall, between studs.

In another case, I built a custom handicap entrance rail for our motorhome. It is a complicated affair made of 1/2" black steel gas pipe, bent with a conduit bender. The railing is attached to the floor with pipe "floor flanges" and the upper end is welded to a piece of 1/8" thick steel flat stock that spans from a window flange to a door flange, where it is securely screwed tight.

Makes sense...thanks.
Our Trip Journal

MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Unless there was one built in, there is probably nothing in an outside wall to attach to. Mostly the walls are some type of laminated foam with a thin hardboard sheet on both sides. Very little or no framing at all. Suggest attaching a nice well-finished hardwood board to the wall with good adhesive and a few short mollies, then attaching handrail to that.

Good info...thanks.
Our Trip Journal

soren
Explorer
Explorer
You might have to install an exposed backer board. This involves making a nicely finished board that span the entire area where the hand rail will be mounted. I have done then in 3/4" Oak with nicely routered edges and a nice stain and urethane finish. This board is screwed to anything and everything that's structural in the wall. It then becomes the mounting surface for the hand rail brackets. You may have seen something similar in public bathrooms, as it's a common technique for securely mounting handicap grab rails to an existing wall, where studs do not end up in places that would be suitable for mounting the bar, and there is no blocking installed inside the wall, between studs.

In another case, I built a custom handicap entrance rail for our motorhome. It is a complicated affair made of 1/2" black steel gas pipe, bent with a conduit bender. The railing is attached to the floor with pipe "floor flanges" and the upper end is welded to a piece of 1/8" thick steel flat stock that spans from a window flange to a door flange, where it is securely screwed tight.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Unless there was one built in, there is probably nothing in an outside wall to attach to. Mostly the walls are some type of laminated foam with a thin hardboard sheet on both sides. Very little or no framing at all. Suggest attaching a nice well-finished hardwood board to the wall with good adhesive and a few short mollies, then attaching handrail to that.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I want to do this too but I can't find a stud or solid point to mount onto. Tried a stub finder but that didn't work so I follow this thread.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy handrail and brackets at any Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc. The bigger problem is finding something inside the RV of any substance to attach them to.