cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like Redwood is bringing back Carriage

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I knew that THOR purchased the rights to the Carriage name at the Carriage auction after the closure of Carriage as we know it today. Well, it looks offical that Redwood is going to reintroduce the Carriage line. This should be interesting. Lets hope that they make it on a real frame and of some real construction and quality like that of the former Carriage line. Phillip

http://redwoodrvfamily.com/
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL
15 REPLIES 15

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
After buying several units that werre mostly trouble I found Carriage. Bought a 2011 Cameo and suddenly reallized what quality is. I cannot not see Thor building anything close to Carriage. Ive heard a lot of bad on Redwood and doubt if their new unit will be much better.. second if on a Lippert frame, I would stay a long way away..
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

rving4us
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the last Carriage Cameos off the line. Ordered in May 2011 picked up in August 2011 just a month or so before they closed. I may be an orphan but I would buy another used Carriage before some of the new stuff Thor offers. This is our second Carriage and no problems except minor and most of that was outside vendor products.
Our 2011 was ordered with every option except generator, including 17.5 tires and full body paint. Wish it was 102 in.
Lifestyle is building the same rv, they have actually adopted the former Carriage owners. If I ever trade again it will be a Lifestyle rv.

Cary
2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC, Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo37ks3,17.5 tires,disc brakes,full body paint.

Wingnusa
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
If you're really interested in buying a carriage they're being manufactured almost exactly as in the past by Lifestyle. Many of the prior employees and expertise are working there. They build using the same frame techniques.

http://www.lifestylelrv.com/

Thor just bought the name. It will never be the same.

This is the closest to a Carriage that I've seen. We were getting ready to buy a carriage when they closed up. We looked hard at the Lifestyle this last weekend. Quality looks good. Heck of a lot better than the cheap Redwoods...
Scott and Brenda Schnelle
Sierra, Twila and Keira Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

FT Class of '06
Lifetime Good Sams
Lifetime NRA
Firearms Instructor
Photographer, Shootin' Scotty Photography

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dont get me wrong I really like Carraige products, however, Carraige bit the dust and Thor is still building RV's. I guess Thor is building and selling what people want so you cant really argue with that.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
Thor has a formula throughout their various brands for building pretty RV's with low internal quality that is profitable for them. So I would doubt that they will match the previous Carriage quality.

agree

Jim

x2
Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:
Thor has a formula throughout their various brands for building pretty RV's with low internal quality that is profitable for them. So I would doubt that they will match the previous Carriage quality.

agree

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Artemus Gordon wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:

Vist the site Lost! Way too much plywood for me! The went out of business for a reason. Thor did not purchase the intellectual property, frankly cause it was sadly outdated. Toured a new Lifstyle Friday. Not that impressed! First slides were vent deep and floor plan seemed cramped! Kinda like your old 40 plus RV you hate and write about so much!

Funny stuff. Just like Thor has made a name for itself (cheap build). But just somehow there is "value" left to the Carraige name. :h

The rest of what you describe is vague. What's wrong with plywood? Is OSB your preference? Vent deep? Maybe it was in a "full side slide" that you saw? Hanging out 3 ft wouldn't be practical from a engineering observation. If you think the floor plan looked cramped you probably need a bigger truck because there is plenty of room in the larger models.

I'm sure Thor will build on the same lippert platform they build the rest of their products on. My Carraige was one of the last off the line. I have had virtually zero problems with it in over two years - except the cheap Duro tires that were on it. I certainly can't say the same for the Montana I had or any of the other Thor products we've owned.

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
Artemus, what would you suggest they use instead of plywood?
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:

Vist the site Lost! Way too much plywood for me! The went out of business for a reason. Thor did not purchase the intellectual property, frankly cause it was sadly outdated. Toured a new Lifstyle Friday. Not that impressed! First slides were vent deep and floor plan seemed cramped! Kinda like your old 40 plus RV you hate and write about so much!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:

Exactly!!! phillip
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

et2
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
et2 wrote:
If you're really interested in buying a carriage they're being manufactured almost exactly as in the past by Lifestyle. Many of the prior employees and expertise are working there. They build using the same frame techniques.

Yeah, YOU and I know that! LOL Phillip

Sorry, didn't read your profile. 😉

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:

Yeah, YOU and I know that! LOL Phillip
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

et2
Explorer
Explorer

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer