cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Managed to screw up new camper

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
Our driveway is very steep. When we returned home yesterday, the truck hit the fifth wheel making that turn and damaged the camper. We are thinking about gluing something over this until we can take the camper back to the factory for repair. Any ideas or advice?

Here's the driveway:

Also, this is our first fifth wheel but we are assuming we can adjust these bolts to raise the camper to give us a little more clearance on this turn:

thanks, Pam
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs
14 REPLIES 14

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SteveB wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
duct or gorilla tape would do it for me.

+1
Mine is scuffed up from the PO. Raise it. Check the level hitched. Make more adjustments. Enjoy using your new camper. You did not say how much clearance on level ground but you should have 6+ inches.

X2 For the temp fix.

If it were mine and New, new, I would get the panel replaced. If like my 5er that panel is width of the nose, and about 4' long.

For more clearance drop the pin box down the one set of holes, then maybe raise the hitch one set.

Then find a level place to see how out of level you are and go from there.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
PamfromVA wrote:
I finally calmed down enough to think this through ๐Ÿ™‚ We live near Smith Mountain Lake and I found someone who repairs boats. They are comong out next week to look at the damage. And about camping on the property, we have 55 acres with our house and garage and it is set up for three friends to bring their campers when they visit. One of the spots will be used this weekend. This is our retirement home and we realize we are very fortunate. thanks all.

Myself and many others want to know if we can be your friends too and camp at your home 20?

BEAUTIFUL view!!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
jwireman89 wrote:
Eternabond to keep moisture and insects out.

Yep. Basically a permanent fix. And considering the location, not really something that will be very visible.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
I finally calmed down enough to think this through ๐Ÿ™‚ We live near Smith Mountain Lake and I found someone who repairs boats. They are comong out next week to look at the damage. And about camping on the property, we have 55 acres with our house and garage and it is set up for three friends to bring their campers when they visit. One of the spots will be used this weekend. This is our retirement home and we realize we are very fortunate. thanks all.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Their fix was to screw a giant piece of aluminum diamond plate over it (rounded and fit, of course). Got to say that it actually looks pretty good.

X2 I would just glue it on, no screws.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the factory is doing the repair I would give them a 1-800 and find out what they suggest as a temp repair until then.
You don't want to use a product that makes the repair harder.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jwireman89
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond to keep moisture and insects out.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

+1
Mine is scuffed up from the PO. Raise it. Check the level hitched. Make more adjustments. Enjoy using your new camper. You did not say how much clearance on level ground but you should have 6+ inches.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
I've had ours rub on an occasion or two, but (so far!) never damaged the trailer. Before raising anything, find a level parking lot or something and see if the whole rig is level to begin with. Raising your pin that one hole will give you only an inch or so (which may be enough). Raising your hitch will also give you some, but I wouldn't go any further than you need unless you can flip your axles so they're under the springs & raise the whole trailer some.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are I'd live with that little but of damage. I know its new and you don't want to have to deal with something like this right off the bat (like scratching a new car), but hey, it'll pale in comparison to what the damage of a blown tire or piece of road debris can cause. Unless it can be fixed for free or without inconvenience, I'd leave it alone.

The previous owner of our 5er hit the front hatch door (beneath the nose) with something and knocked a hole in it. Their fix was to screw a giant piece of aluminum diamond plate over it (rounded and fit, of course). Got to say that it actually looks pretty good.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

brdprey
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
That is a beautiful driveway, and sorry about your camper, but the pin box looks like it can only be lowered one bolt hole. You might have to raise your hitch in the truck just a little.

yea im with you that is a sexy view. hell i would camp in that drive way

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a beautiful driveway, and sorry about your camper, but the pin box looks like it can only be lowered one bolt hole. You might have to raise your hitch in the truck just a little.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
From the damage I can see, it should be an easy repair. I don't see a need for a temporary patch.

More important, need to make sure it cannot happen again. When you are hitched up to the truck, how much clearance is there between the bed rails and bottom of the camper? Conventional wisdom says you should have at least 6". Mine has about 7". Now you know why first hand. Yes, you can adjust that pinbox lower to improve the clearance. Question then is, how far out of level will the camper be when towing? A little high in front is okay, but you want to be fairly level when towing.

Your driveway does not appear to be all that steep. You will see that sort of terrain at any given time.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver