cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe a new 5er.

bubbatraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi forum group it's been awhile.the boss and I are thinking of buying a new 5er.I have a 2013ford 250 power stroke 6.7 with 3.37 r.end Firestone airbags and husker 16 k slider hitch.we have been looking in the mid sixty to mid 70 s. Any recommendations on make and a company that stands behind their5er.thanks
13 REPLIES 13

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Heartland Big Country/Bighorn as well as Cedar Creek. Aim for a pin wt of around 2,000. length: 35'-39'. PM me if you want name of a great deal dealer.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can pay a tech a lot of visits to your driveway for $9,000.

trainman6899
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all you lucky travelers. We are in process of buying our first 5th wheel and have searched wide and far. Been to the huge box store type dealers and were convinced working with a local smaller dealer is best.we could travel 2500 miles to pick one up and save 9000 dollars, ya lots money but break it down. When something goes wrong, and it will, so rely on a dealer to have mercy on your sole,good luck with that. Taking a two week vacation and spending hundreds on gas etc.,not me. Buying a Colombus 366 from Toscanini RV in Los Banos Calif., long established people.Was guaranteed by them during and after warranty, if it can be fixed in my driveway they will be there, and I believe them, so we all must ask ourselves,"How Lucky You Feel". We own a 2016 f350 long bed 4x4,should do trick for us what you think

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
bubbatraveler wrote:
Rob,we have seriously considering the grandesign 337rl.how has it been on workmanship and quality since you bought it.we are also looking at a montana high country 352rl.

Most GD owners seem to be happy with them, and how the manufacturer stands behind their product. You are familiar with the Montana line, and the High Country should of similar or better build.

The OP is used to towing a fair sized FW, and I'm sure he understands the capability of his truck. Although class 2 rated, it will be pretty equal to the 350 SRW in design.

Enjoy your search, hope you find just the right one!

Jerry

bubbatraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dear group.we now have a montana mountaineer 295 rkds.it's aboutv35 feet long and comes in at around 9500lb dry.we want a rear living plane of some type but we'll made and a manufacturer that stands behind their product,just like everyone else that has a rv.Again thanks to all fot your opinions it does help.love this group.

bubbatraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Rob,we have seriously considering the grandesign 337rl.how has it been on workmanship and quality since you bought it.we are also looking at a montana high country 352rl.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the majority. Our 36' "mid-profile" fifth wheel comes in right at 3,000 lbs. on the pin. This puts us a few hundred over the GVWR for the 2WD 3/4 ton truck - and just under the GVWRR and tire ratings. And this is with a hitch that weighs less than 50 lbs - not a slider.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
I agree a 40 ft is a little.much for a 250. Our 38' 10" Keystone Alpine 3500 RE is about 13.5k lbs loaded and pin wt is about 2650. Out the door CA was $57k fully loaded new with sticker of $81k. Use the $13k savings and put it toward a 350 for a total of $70k.

bubbatraveler
Explorer
Explorer
No not from the year 65 to mid 70s.I was referring to 65 to 75 thousands range in price.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oops, already changed.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You really expect to tow a 70s era 40 foot fifth wheel with a 250? Good luck my friend.
Oh wait do you mean your budget is 70s?
Thats a different ball game. But theres still no way your going to haul a 40 foot fiver with a 250. For that much your going to want a dually.
Whats good? There mostly all the same. You might or might not get a good one from any mfg. But I would start looking at Northwood Mfg.

bubbatraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry forum.wife and I are looking at rear living or rear den.length 40 ft or less.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
What floor plan are you looking at?
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel