cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

microwave replacement and venting

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
The control panel is dying on our built-in Dometic microwave so it's time for a new one. A couple of questions: can I replace with a residential one from Lowe's, etc as long as it fits? Can I get one that fits and vent it out the back of the trailer? It is over the stove on the back wall and the vent underneath is the stove "hood." It would be nice if it vented outside instead of in my face while cooking.
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier
8 REPLIES 8

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with most of what you said except for "Almost all over the range micro's are the same size so you shouldn't have any problem finding a replacement". The reason I even bring it up is that it can depend on the year of your RV. In our case, with an older RV, our opening for the Microwave convection is square and for the last number of years the newer RV's have changed to the more rectangular shape so finding one to fit in the original hole could be an issue. I also agree that the newer models should be of a better quality. I can even see a difference in the same make and model of my Sharp with it being about 6 years newer. Hugs, Di
jaybeesmonty wrote:
I recently replaced my dying convection oven with a new one. Very happy with the results as my new one is of much better quality.

Almost all over the range micro's are the same size so you shouldn't have any problem finding a replacement. Just depends on your budget.

As for adding a rear vent on your trailer, I highly recommend this addition. Pulling cooking smells and moisture out of the trailer will be a huge bonus and possibly add a longer life to your rig. This install should be a simple task for a RV facility.

Use the internet for info on the best micro and then shop for the best price. I bought a GE that replaced my frigidaire, night and day in quality.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

jaybeesmonty
Explorer
Explorer
I recently replaced my dying convection oven with a new one. Very happy with the results as my new one is of much better quality.

Almost all over the range micro's are the same size so you shouldn't have any problem finding a replacement. Just depends on your budget.

As for adding a rear vent on your trailer, I highly recommend this addition. Pulling cooking smells and moisture out of the trailer will be a huge bonus and possibly add a longer life to your rig. This install should be a simple task for a RV facility.

Use the internet for info on the best micro and then shop for the best price. I bought a GE that replaced my frigidaire, night and day in quality.

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
Hope they have what you need and it fits perfectly. Good luck. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
question, why not go back with the same? it would save drilling a hole for venting purposes. can't cost that much more, can they
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. We have a Dometic and I believe they make an exact replacement. Since we live in a condo the trailer is stored with a local dealer who will do the replacement and venting, if possible. I'll let you know how it went. We'll head for Padre Island in February but as loyal New Englanders we must spend at least some of the winter here!
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
When our Sharp died, they replaced it. Unfortunately only the outside was the same dimensions. The interior was sooo much smaller. Being fulltimers with no oven, I need my micro/convention to cook so I got a refund and we found a residential Sharp. When the fellow helped Dutch set the box inside our Carriage, as we had to get to an RV park to work on it, the guy looked at the box then the opening several times and finally said "you're going to get this in that opening?. I told him my McGuyver can do anything and he walked out shaking his head. After arriving at the park, we did some measuring. The unit was larger than our opening so Dutch gently and carefully enlarged the sides and the top to bottom opening. One side was easy as there was a cabinet on that side so he had "meat" to dig into. The top to bottom was ok too as we had plenty of wood. He enlarged the other side and fortunately was able to keep the integrity of the wood, albeit not by much. He removed some of the padding from the back as it was a bit longer than our old one too and he cut a vent hole. Fortunately, we found a cover that was pretty darned close to our paint job.
It has worked well for us for years and I hope it continues as it is a real bugger for the 2 of us to pull out and put back in as ours too sits above the stove vent hood.
Let us know how you make out. Hugs, Di

routemaster
Explorer
Explorer
I did in my Everest watch out for a wooden cross beam when punching the hole though I had to move the vent up to miss it.
2017 Landmark Arlington 365
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes and yes.
Mine died last year while we were camp hosting. Best buy had what we wanted, and I installed it on a day off. Check local RV dealers for the outside vent punch a hole, install the flapper, install the new microwave per the instructions.