cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miles per day

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling a 40' 5th wheel. I was wondering how many miles per day you all drive on a long trip? Has anyone ever used the Ohio turnpike RV rest stops?
50 REPLIES 50

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:

(SC, If you are going to be driving an RV after taking pain meds, let me know where you are going so I can avoid he area.)

I think I explained my method on another thread (or maybe another forum) I start out driving with no medication and drive with the pain until I can't take it anymore. When the pain becomes too much to take I take a pill and either pull into a rest stop or campground. I stop rest and nap and wait a few hours before driving again. Depending on how bad the pain is the distance I can drive can vary before I need to take another pill. The pill can take 20 to 40 minutes before it absorbs into my system, and sometimes I will take the pill when I am 5 miles away from a rest stop

=======================================

I am careful to take every possible precaution that will insure I am not under the influence of any drug while driving.mI worked hard all my adult life and I want to enjoy traveling, I do not want to spend the rest of my life staring at a TV because I became injured while preforming my duties

I mentioned this in another thread he is a quote

IT WAS POSTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE ON THIS THREAD

"I also have back and knee problems which require me to take powerful pain killers. What I try to do is start out the drive without any drugs and suffer with the pain, after a few hours when the pain gets to be too much I take a pill and pull over to rest. By the time I have finished my nap the drugs are mostly out of my system so I begin driving again while I suffer in pain. When the pain gets to be too much to take anymore I take another pill and start the cycle all over again. That is one of the many advantages of driving with your bedroom behind you. There have been times when I was driving my car and stopped 2, 3 or more times in one day and paid full price for the room to nap for a few hours."

"Regardless of the cost I will never endanger the lives of other motorists if I feel my ability to drive has been impaired."
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

fastcars
Explorer
Explorer
Travel about 5 hours and we start look for a place to park for the night, open a bottle of wine and relax for the night. Next day get up about 6 and on the road by 10 unless we decide to stay a little longer were ever we stopped. Being retired is great.......

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
10 hrs is a long day behind the wheel. We try to keep about a 8 hr target on vacations, we have done over 10 in the past. We are heading to Florida in a couple of months, we normally do one long day, then a short day on a 12 hour trip.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

vietvet66-67
Explorer
Explorer
I do about six hours at most as a general rule. I may start doing less if I feel the least bit tired, don't really look at the mileage so much.
2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the Ohio RV stops a couple of times. we have a 37ft class a and we tow a car. One place has pull thru sites and we did not have to unhook. actually had neighbors there, and shared a few drinks and stories. The other one we used is back in, so we had to unhook the car. The car is on a dolly, no backing that sucker up! $20, 50 amp power. Both times in summer, and seems safe to us. Saw police patrol a couple of times.

Super_Guy_78
Explorer
Explorer
300 miles or 3:00 PM

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
Not to mention the fact the for the last 4 hours of the trip my wife wouldn't speak to me she was so mad.

So what is so bad about that?:B

cause it should have been 6 hours.
bumpy

socoguy
Explorer
Explorer
250 - 300 5 miles below posted limit. You always pay for long tow days in one way or another.
Ohio rest stops will not accomadate a 40 foot rig in the rv designated spots I believe there is a 30 foot limit.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II

(SC, If you are going to be driving an RV after taking pain meds, let me know where you are going so I can avoid he area.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I've done 600 miles a few days in a row headed down south. Not again. I limit my dirves to 7-8 hrs tops and stop every coupla hours to top the tank and drain the bladder.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Not to mention the fact the for the last 4 hours of the trip my wife wouldn't speak to me she was so mad.

So what is so bad about that?:B
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I once drove 1,800 in one stretch (taking short naps in the car) when I was younger, but I can't do that anymore. The best part about a camper is you can stop and take naps in comfort. I just drove 550 miles a few weeks ago, I stopped every hour or two and took naps that lasted less then one hour to a couple hours. I can't drive long distances anymore without frequent naps because the pain medication makes me drowsy, if I did not have a camper I would have to pay for a full night in a motel even if I only needed a two hour nap. With the camper I can stop for a hour or two then get back in and drive. Pulling a camper requires concentration and it is foolish to drive when you can pull over and take a rest. My max is one to two hours until I get out and walk the dogs and two to four hours before I stop for a rest or nap.

I do not think in terms of miles I think hours behind the wheel

Krease
Explorer
Explorer
I would think your driving tolerance could be based on your occupation, or previous occupation. If you drive/drove for a living, I would understand driving further without feeling complete exhaustion. People with more sedentary lifestyles, or short commutes, wouldn't handle several hours in the vehicle very well.

I myself drive for a living, truck and trailer locally. I used to drive 7-8hrs one way every other weekend to visit with my wife, so the long trips aren't as draining to me. I made that 7-8hr many times without even stopping once. My TDI Jetta could go upwards of 600mi without a fillup.
2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn H.O. Megacab DRW
2012 Montana 3750FL

marspec
Explorer
Explorer
I have stopped at the Ohio Turnpike. They do have a 40 foot limit but I doubt if it's enforced. Sites are back-in. Some areas do not have a fence at the back so you can hang over the grass, others have the fence. At 40 feet you would probably have to unhook and park truck out of the way if traveling during the summer. I traveled in late October so there was only one other rig present. 30 & 50 amp was at the site.
2013 F450
Towing 2013 Lifestyle 37RESL