cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miles per day

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling a 40' 5th wheel. I was wondering how many miles per day you all drive on a long trip? Has anyone ever used the Ohio turnpike RV rest stops?
50 REPLIES 50

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Last May we towed 833 miles from the California coast to Albuquerque non-stop except for fuel. By the time I got there my whole right side from my waist to my toes was numb and I could barely walk. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again if I had to but I doubt I would do it willingly. Not to mention the fact the for the last 4 hours of the trip my wife wouldn't speak to me she was so mad. Took her until breakfast the next morning to warm up.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I still tow 12 to 13 hours a day as I like to get where I am going as soon as I can. Yeah, I know, I should break it up into two days but that's just the way I roll. The DW and I married over 55 years so she is used to it
samsontdog:o:W

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Tennessee to Detroit non stop on 1/2 tank ,since I got the tractor I can drive 30% farther in a day, not getting beat up by the load is a major difference.
Start the next day rested and ready to do another 10 hours.
๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Also depends on your age...
I have found that the older I get the fewer miles I want to tow each day.
My marathon 700-800 milers are behind me.

Amen to that, pulling a trailer or not! ๐Ÿ˜„

Our miles/hours have also changed to the lesser side as we aged a bit. We used to run from Tampa to just north of Richmond VA the first day,, not anymore. It all depends on the traffic flow and family mood! We now decide as we drive and don't push like we used to,, I guess a rule of thumb could be that we try for 400/600 or 8/10/12 hours at the very most depending on stuff..Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
I am heading from Nebraska to the Eastern Side of the Adirondack Mountains. I have 3 weeks with nothing I plan to see in between. I route across I80 to 80/90 to 90, take a short cut, then I87. It is about 1400 miles. I have pulled this far before but with a smaller TT. I typically stop at a truck stop every 150 miles to check everything and rest. I certainly appreciate the input from everyone.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
On our wither outings we seldom have intermediate things to see.

Man, I did not know that you could even get the drive train warmed up in 300 miles. :W

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
In the younger days I drive 950 from 10 pm to 4 pm next day.Have limited vacation days and try to get the most out of it.Now I get older and drive only 500.When I retire I will have more time and drive less hours.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

sele
Explorer
Explorer
we tag team on long trips and still do well both time and milage. I start and at first fuel stop the DW drives for a two, three hours while i cat nap rest then will do a second fuel stop and i take the last 2 or three hours. So on a long trip we may run 7 to 8 hours and not be over taxed.
scott

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim and Barb wrote:
Well I have been pulling for 5 years now So Cal to Oregon, Washington,Arizona and we have found 350-450 Max is our duration. You need to allow your self time to fuel set up,eat or whatever . We generally pull at 65-70 mph. depending on poasted speed and road conditions. We are preparing to pull our 5vr to Fairbanks Ak.in 3 weeks and we are planning on 7days for 2900 Mi.

Please report back on how many more than 7 days it was for the 2900 mi trip to Fairbanks. That is averaging over 400 miles per day. You are going to have to be passing a lot of slower rigs. Or drive REALLY long days. Friend got in a hurry coming back from Alaska and busted up a lot of spring hangers and shackles.

And how do you pull 65-70 in California???

So please let us know how your plans worked out, as I thought the trip to Alaska was all about seeing the sights, not flying by them.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
Well since I am still working I have to get to my destination asap, most I have done is 1000 miles from Arkansas to Silverton, Co. many times. Of course that was without my Wife, she gets cranky after about 4 hours. If I had my choice I would like to drive about 6 hours a day.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
The worst part of over extending the driving distance is the re-coup time when you get to your destination. I will typically pull off and stretch like others have stated... I also found that coffee does not help me stay alert like a No Doz even at 43 years of age. I like to take one to keep me as alert as possible. I tend to get tired after 4 hours of driving. Heck,,, sometimes not even that long.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
Used to do 650 miles in one day easy.
Now at my advanced age and with a wife who gets very cranky it's down to 250 maybe...

your wife just recently got cranky? count your blessings.
I like to go about 250-325 per day myself. arrive at 3 pm or so and get set up and relaxed.
bumpy ๐Ÿ™‚

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven solo 850 miles from Garden Grove CA to Albuquerque balloon fiesta twice. Not a lot of fun, and it takes a day to recover. That was in a pickup with a camper, and much easier to drive a long distance than my current class A motorhome. And I was able to drive around 70 back in the $1 per gallon fuel days. I did stop every 4-5 hours for a 2-3 hour nap.

Now I am much more likely to drive less than 400 miles per day, and might streach it a bit to make it to the destination in one day if it is only about 500 miles. But would rather break it up into two days, and not have to spend the next day recovering and sleeping all day.

If you have kids along, plan on a lot of video games or less than 300 miles per day. That is about 6 hours driving and figure you average about 50 MPH while driving 60, to take into account fuel stops, and restrooms.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

cougar88nw
Explorer
Explorer
Most ground covered was 2200 miles in 34-36 hours with the TT. That's when we were moving from SC to AZ, so we didn't have time to stop and explore. I had to drive straight through since my wife will not drive while the TT hooked up.
250-400 a day is the max we like to travel in a 24 hour period.
Pilot---Mark :C, Co Pilot (boss)Nancy:R
Children:
Alyssa :?, Corey :p, Matthew:h, Kaylyn :B

Dogs: Shih-Tzu's(other children)
Max , Shelby, Twiggles

TT 2001 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE
TV 2004 Ford Super Duty F-250 Diesel 6.0
Yamaha EF3000iSE/Honda EU2000i