cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miles per day

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling a 40' 5th wheel. I was wondering how many miles per day you all drive on a long trip? Has anyone ever used the Ohio turnpike RV rest stops?
50 REPLIES 50

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a 40' 5er - Central MA to Goshen, IN (839 miles) in August. Pulling ~425 miles+- each day. May be able to head out of the house earlier night before and get a 100 or so miles out of the way to give us a head start.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
250 is our preference but it may be more or less.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my last fiver, a 40 foot toyhauler from Marietta Georgia to Waldorf Maryland in one day... I was exhausted. I only did it because I was transferring from one base to another and my wife was already settled into our new home in Md.
If I have to travel long distance, normally no more than 6-8 hours or 400 miles.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Jim_and_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have been pulling for 5 years now So Cal to Oregon, Washington,Arizona and we have found 350-450 Max is our duration. You need to allow your self time to fuel set up,eat or whatever . We generally pull at 65-70 mph. depending on poasted speed and road conditions. We are preparing to pull our 5vr to Fairbanks Ak.in 3 weeks and we are planning on 7days for 2900 Mi.

JKrussow
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't used the Ohio rest stops but we travel by the clock and not the mileage. We hit the road no later than 10 AM (usually 9:15) and start looking for a place to park around 2 PM and pull over for the night no later than 4 PM.

We use to get up early and drive till almost dark but the next day was not fun. We really like our new arrangements but everyone is different so try it and see what you think.
John & Rana along with Kato & Punkin
2004 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A DRW CC, Banks IQ w/Econominder, Speedbrake & CAI, Curt Q5 20K
2011 Heartland Big Country 3650RL

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on if you have a specific destination and limited time. Probably 300 to 400 miles per day max so as to not overtire.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years