cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mission accomplished!!! (Bearing service)

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Serviced my wheel bearings today. I haven't done a service on them since I have had the trailer. I found out the 5er has EZ lube axles.

After I got the first one apart I took the bearings and seal to the local trailer supply. I had them match up the seal and look at the bearings. I didn't think they looked wore out. One of the mechanics checked them out said they looked ok.

Just for the heck of it I asked how much for new bearings and seals. It was only about $14 an axle for new bearings and grease seals so I bought 5 sets. Decided to buy an extra set to keep in the trailer.

Went back home and completed the job in about 4 hrs. The EZ Lube works pretty well. This is a job I will definately do probably every two years from now on. It really wasn't hard to do, just labor intensive. (First time I have ever done trailer bearings)

We have about a 1,000 mile trip coming up and I had a nagging feeling I was going to endup on the side of the road with a bearing failure. Now I can rest assured I have take the steps to prevent this. Now to load the 5er up. It's going to be a long week at work I feel.

Oh Oh!! Almost forgot!! When I put each wheel back together I adjusted the brakes as they seemed weak. Well guess what??? Two of the four didn't work at all. Both of them had what looked like cut wires on the backing plate. Can't wait to try them out now!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
30 REPLIES 30

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
Believe me, the next time I do a service on the bearings I will replace all with Timkens. Oh and I won't metion it here. Thanks for all the replies, John

Yeah some folks tend to dog pile for whatever reasons. The first 2-3 replies warning about matched race sets was plenty and after that there simply wasn't the need = dog pile.
I wouldn't worry other than do a normal once a year wheel check that you should be doing anyway.
And every fuel stop or rest stop hand feel the wheels centers temp (hub temp) and feel for the hotter one or use a hand held laser temp gun.....especially after a long run at interstate speeds.

When I was on the road the temp gun wasn't born yet so we felt tire/wheel/hub temps and thumped the tires. Get a gun which makes it quick and easy...and fun. I find it amazing I can now shoot the back side of the hubs on the other side of the trailer from underside looking for a hot running hub/bearing. You will also find tires/wheels and hubs can run much hotter on the lee side of the trailer in strong sidewinds.
Check out Dexter website for maintaining trailer brakes http://www.dexteraxle.com/faq_s
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny_H wrote:
Gib3633 wrote:
Come on Guys: We haven't questioned OP's ability to properly adjust those mismatched bearings. That is always the most controversial topic in these forums. We must get that one going.

That and the fact he probably let his kids be born naked or something weird like that. Is it best to replace races with bearings yes, is the fact that the OP didn't and the bearings he replaced were not actually hurt probably going to cause the wheel to blow up and aliens come steal his naked babies, probably not. However I do not understand why everyone has to jump over this. When he purchased the bearings it would have been in his best interest if the salesman would have recommended races, but chances are he didn't have a clue. So to the OP, now that you know how to get in there and change the bearings the next time after your trip and you have a few hours to kill go and get yourself some quality bearings and races in a matched set and just redo what you partially done this time and maybe the aliens will bring your naked babies back and maybe you won't get the **** beat out of you on here again and you can feel better about life in general, but please do not state which particular grease you chose to use since that would start an entirely different beating. In the meantime, enjoy your trip and have a great day!!!

Totally agree, hopefully the OP learned his lesson reporting something on here. Only thing I can add is hopefully everything was wiped clean ,and the bearings were hand packed, and set right. If so he is good to go

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
Gib3633 wrote:
Come on Guys: We haven't questioned OP's ability to properly adjust those mismatched bearings. That is always the most controversial topic in these forums. We must get that one going.

That and the fact he probably let his kids be born naked or something weird like that. Is it best to replace races with bearings yes, is the fact that the OP didn't and the bearings he replaced were not actually hurt probably going to cause the wheel to blow up and aliens come steal his naked babies, probably not. However I do not understand why everyone has to jump over this. When he purchased the bearings it would have been in his best interest if the salesman would have recommended races, but chances are he didn't have a clue. So to the OP, now that you know how to get in there and change the bearings the next time after your trip and you have a few hours to kill go and get yourself some quality bearings and races in a matched set and just redo what you partially done this time and maybe the aliens will bring your naked babies back and maybe you won't get the **** beat out of you on here again and you can feel better about life in general, but please do not state which particular grease you chose to use since that would start an entirely different beating. In the meantime, enjoy your trip and have a great day!!!
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
After all that theory, I bet you are going to be on edge for the upcoming trip. :h

I don't disagree with all the theory here, however I am assuming you wiped the races clean and made sure they looked good. If so i would go with the following advice:

I would monitor hub temps with a IR thermometer though.

It's not like the $15/axle bearing sets were run in at the factory to match the rollers to the races. They just get a cage out of one bin, a race out of another and wrap them up together.

I use my paws instead of the IR shooter.

If all feels god after the run in of 100 miles or however you want to use as a yard stick, you should be good to go.

Oh and don't forget to let us know that the trip went well, so all of us theory folks can immediately come back and say you were lucky.

Thanks Dave for bringing some sanity to this thread. I thought I did something right but I guess I only did it half right. I know that the races should really be replaced at the same time, I was just trying to save a couple of bucks. I will do as you advised and monitor the bearings.

I was happier that I found the cut wires and repaired them than the bearings.

Believe me, the next time I do a service on the bearings I will replace all with Timkens. Oh and I won't metion it here. Thanks for all the replies, John

Maybe I should have titled this thread "Mission half accomplised!!!

My post (quoted by Dave) wasn't meant to rain on your parade. I've replaced many bearings in old races back in the day and often reused the grease seals, I haven't always had the disposable income I have now. I don't once remember one of the frankengearings failing on me prior to its next service inspection. Monitor the temps looking for differences between the wheels. I've used my mitt for this in the past until I left a good bit of hide on one, quickly p
Learned to the spit test before touching. If the spit sizzles there's s problem. A squirt from a water bottle works too if you're so inclined
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
I never put new bearings in old races. They should be sold in sets. And replaced in sets. I know that you can buy them sepearate. Bearings can vary in demenions if made by different manuafctors. It's a gamble but its your trailer.

The mechanic's coments would be correct if you were reusing the old bearings. Even then the bearing should be placed back in the original race.

I agree, my Dad taught me how to work on vehicles and he always told me to NEVER repace bearings without replacing the races. He said the races become "grooved" from the bearing and not replacing the races will cause the bearings to wear out quicker that they should.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you hand packed the bearings with grease instead of just hitting with a grease gun.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
John, hate to keep beating this dead horse, But the last time i bought Timkens they were not made in the USA?

:R I thought camping was spose to be fun. :W

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
After all that theory, I bet you are going to be on edge for the upcoming trip. :h

I don't disagree with all the theory here, however I am assuming you wiped the races clean and made sure they looked good. If so i would go with the following advice:

It's not like the $15/axle bearing sets were run in at the factory to match the rollers to the races. They just get a cage out of one bin, a race out of another and wrap them up together.

If all feels god after the run in of 100 miles or however you want to use as a yard stick, you should be good to go.

Oh and don't forget to let us know that the trip went well, so all of us theory folks can immediately come back and say you were lucky.

Thanks Dave for bringing some sanity to this thread. I thought I did something right but I guess I only did it half right. I know that the races should really be replaced at the same time, I was just trying to save a couple of bucks. I will do as you advised and monitor the bearings.

I sometimes feel the information given is not wanted as it is said BUT another person does not know what you or me is thinking and give what they feel is what they would do. I overkill everything so I have to be careful telling others information. So let it go and remember safe is best.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
shadows4 wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

I don't think anyone was criticizing YOU for what you did. You obviously thought you did the right thing.

Personally I think the parts place should have advised you to just replace the seals and re use the bearings if all the bearings looked like the one you showed the mechanic.

i think the comments on this thread were good info for those that really don't know about these things and I am sure some novices appreciated the comments.

Don't loose any sleep over it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
shadows4 wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

Was in the farm equipment business for 50 years. Seen more than my share of wheel bearings being replaced. Saw tons of perfectly good bearings thrown in the trash. Seen many bearing cones replaced without replacinging the cups. Believe me most of the time it's no big deal unless things were destroyed. There is always folks on the forum going to try to burst your bubble. Just don't come on and tell them what your pulling with, they will unmercifully bust your butt. LOL

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave H M wrote:

2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:
$14 a set for bearings and seals? I installed all new Timkem cones and cups (no Chinese) and it cost a bunch more than that.

OP didn't replace the cups so cost was lower but still seemed low to me.

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
The good thing about the EZ Lube hubs is that you don't have to pull wheels & drums to repack (and replace seals). The bad thing is that while you're rotating the wheel & slowly pumping grease in, sooner or later you've got to scoop out the old from the opening - the edge of that thing is like a razor and can cut your fingers easily! I've regreased mine three times now and still get at least one nick or more.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.