cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Montanas

Snowbird67
Explorer
Explorer
I know the older model montanas were top sellers, but what do you think of them lately..been told their quality has gone down hill and not sure I want to look into those..buying one of these is so hard when you dont know what to get so you dont end up with mega troubles
9 REPLIES 9

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Montana (bought new in 2013), have wintered in Texas twice, pulled to the top of The U.P., The middle of PA,and 90 miles to our own private camping spot many times. We have about 12,000 miles on it with no issues. Our only expense has been one battery and one tire. I feel it is a good unit. Go to the Montana Owners Club website and ask as many questions as you can think of. Learning is cheap from the friendly folks over there.

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 2003, 2006, 2010 Montana and traded the 2010 for a 2013 Landmark which was a piece of junk. Just traded back for a 2015 Montana Legacy. Much better built than the more expensive Landmark.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new Montana and a new diesel PU two and a half years ago. The Montana has had fewer issues than the truck. We snowbirded in it for two years, so it got it's share of use.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We did a ton of research prior to purchasing our first fiver. Due to being rated pretty high we located a gently used Montana and started with it. We then traded for a new Montana, which we currently have.

RV dealers and manufacturers are nothing like car dealers/manufacturers. Sometimes getting warranty work done or getting warranty parts is next to impossible. If you get a new unit that doesn't have issues then you will love it, if you get one that needs a lot of attention then good luck.

We should have stuck with used units. Let someone else buy the new ones and get all the problems worked out first.

I think Keystone Montana is no better or no worse than most other ones out there. They have some pretty nice floor plans, the fit and finish is good, and they are priced fair. Would I buy another brand new one? Only if they sold it to me at 75% off.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

TopSlink
Explorer
Explorer
go to the montana owners site plenty to read some with no problems or minor others with a s---load

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
There have been many posts on the Montana owners forum about the quality recently. The original Montana was a higher grade unit, but priced higher too. In general i think the concern is valid. We are working through the "infant mortality" period with ours and have had to resolve a number of problems due to lack of quality in the original contruction. But then, i think most rigs in the same price range suffer a comparable amount.

In general, you get what you pay for.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know the older model montanas were top sellers, but what do you think of them lately..been told their quality has gone down hill and not sure I want to look into those..buying one of these is so hard when you dont know what to get so you dont end up with mega troubles

Obviously from your post you are a little unsure about going forward with a Montana. Why not look at some others that have a relatively good reputation for minimal issues like Arctic Fox.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Agree they still claim number one seller, for last 14 years. Better or worse? Really don't know. Our 2007 has been as trouble free as I could have possibly hoped. But as stated above, you may get one trouble free, and you may not. But if you visit other brand owners forums you will find the same some good/some bad comments with similar problems across the board.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
They are still "allegedly" the #1 top selling 5th wheel. They are no better no worse than any other brand in the price range.
Buying a Rv is a******shoot anyway.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L