Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More haul / less "toy"

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I am new here, and hope to be active.

As an age-old tent camper, I have finally decided to get off the ground and dirt and purchase a trailer.

I went to an RV show in Sacramento this past weekend and learned a lot. The main question for me relates to the construction and features of all of the Toy Haulers I saw.

Is there a product on the market that is less ticky tacky and more robust? I see lots of fragile little features in trailers, and would prefer a more substantial construction, less cutesy trim and curtains, and more space for living.

The ideal trailer for me would include the garage feature of a toy hauler, A/C, heat, a forward-located bed, no internal walls, and perhaps even no kitchen or bathroom. Just a lot of cargo space and a bed, suitable for an outdoor kitchen under the awning.
There is something special about camping in an RV.
15 REPLIES 15

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Carson trailer in CA will put only the things you want in there trailers. Not sure if there is one close to you but they will give you a list and you pick only what you want and where in the trailer you want it.

tooldad1041
Explorer
Explorer
this is what the inside looked like when I started. It was an "office/pay" trailer for an auction company before I owned it.

tooldad1041
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the self converted cargo trailer:

tooldad1041
Explorer
Explorer
The Continental Cargo was after converting my own 18ft cargo trailer into a toy hauler. After using it, wife realized how much she missed bathrooms in camper, especially in middle of night or raining. Sold the self converted and bought Continental.

tooldad1041
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a used Continental Cargo toy hauler. It is a cargo trailer with a kitchen and bath package. trailer is 23ft long, + 5ft V. across front is kitchen sink and stove, and on one side is bath with only toilet & shower, on opposite side fridge and pantry. that takes up 8 ft of floor space, remaining 15ft+ is garage with a flip down bed on each side.

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like to me you do not need a toy hauler, you need a plain car hauler and add an AC and heater to it. Place a bed in the front. We converted a PACE car hauler, so it can be done quite easily and a lot less expensive than buying a pre-done toy hauler.

However,for really solid construction in a real toy hauler, I suggest Livin Lite, ATC or VRV.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to take a look at race or stacker trailers. Some of them are quite heavy, but some of the more modest sized ones still have a number of the features you describe.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
Too many folks complained about the spartan conditions in toy haulers, which is why we have TH's today with more luxury appointments.
Very true, and we were some of those who complained. We wanted something to haul our street bikes around the country, but didn't want to feel like we were living in something you could hose out after the weekend was over.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Too many folks complained about the spartan conditions in toy haulers, which is why we have TH's today with more luxury appointments.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember that a heavy duty trailer means heavy duty weight requiring a heavy duty tow vehicle.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
I want less gingerbread

Gingerbread - I will remember that, thanks.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Work & Play
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Y-Guy
The Work & Play line from Forest River comes to mind, but also take a look at the Desert Fox line too, they are very solid trailers, not as much flash but I've known people that have them for years and they love them.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you go to the top of this forum: The new Complete List of Toy Haulers.

I'm sure you will find close to what you are looking for. If I were buying today, I would probably buy a Desert Fox. Enjoy the search, and welcome to the forum.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL