cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My tire story - Big O tires

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last October, on my way north, I had 4 tires replaced on my 5er at the Big O in Nephi UT. They put on LTs.

Fast forward to one month ago, in WA. One of the tires is showing significant ozone cracking near the rim. The others are showing that also, but not nearly as bad as the one. I called the Nephi store, and was told to take it to any Big O. I took it to the Kennewick WA store.

The store manager examined the tires, and conceded that the one tire was a warrantable replacement. He said they don't have that tire in stock (of course) but, he emphatically said that my trailer should have ST's on it. He also went so far as to say that if any of his employees had put LTs on, he'd be fired. The manager said he could replace all the tires for the bargain basement price of $500. Uh, ok, the tire is warrantable, but you want to upsell me tires?? I didn't care for that offer, I thanked him, and left with the same tires I came in with.

I called the Kennewick store back yesterday. I asked if the one tire could be replaced. The manager wanted his boss to look at it. I'm 100 miles from there, so we agreed pictures would be ok. After a couple days, the boss said pretty much the same thing... I needed ST tires. I immediately called the Nephi store and spoke to the manager, who said he'd be contacting the Kennewick store.

You wouldn't think this would be that difficult.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
65 REPLIES 65

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Stranger wrote:
My Big O experience.

2005, moving from CA to IN. Wanted to put 3 tires on the boat trailer. Went to Big O. Got 'em done. Don't remember the price or size. Fast forward to our arrival in Greenfield, IN. Wife was driving the lowered 1 ton, pulling the boat. I had the Fiver. The SPARE tire carrier on the boat trailer blew up and the SPARE was dragged on the pavement for about 30 miles.

Wore a hole about the size of my fist. Took it to the Big O in town, was told to come back tomorrow. Came back to pick up my tire/wheel. Asked "How much?", was told, "Nothing, ROAD HAZARD covered it. Have a nice day".

Flabbergasted? Yes. Will I go back to Big O. Yes. In fact I already have for 4 on the Envoy and soon for 4 for the Durango.

Actually your experience should be SOP....why not?

GY (& dealers) regularly replace Marathons that "blow up" - with more of the same.....and usually GY pays to repair damage to trlrs caused by the tire/s.
(Even though the standard "line" -including court testimony by GY- is the tires were run with inadequate pressure, run too hot, too fast, or ...damaged due to road hazards).

Happy ST Marathon owners..:C
(What's a little "down time"??)

BTW - since you and/or the DW can't remember much about your tires - or what's happening "back there" - maybe a TPMS would be a good plan...:@

~

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
My Big O experience.

2005, moving from CA to IN. Wanted to put 3 tires on the boat trailer. Went to Big O. Got 'em done. Don't remember the price or size. Fast forward to our arrival in Greenfield, IN. Wife was driving the lowered 1 ton, pulling the boat. I had the Fiver. The SPARE tire carrier on the boat trailer blew up and the SPARE was dragged on the pavement for about 30 miles.

Wore a hole about the size of my fist. Took it to the Big O in town, was told to come back tomorrow. Came back to pick up my tire/wheel. Asked "How much?", was told, "Nothing, ROAD HAZARD covered it. Have a nice day".

Flabbergasted? Yes. Will I go back to Big O. Yes. In fact I already have for 4 on the Envoy and soon for 4 for the Durango.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Tire replaced. I removed the wheel/tire and took it on a 200 mile round trip. They replaced it within an hour, which was good. They weren't happy about it, and said if I had any more trouble, the Nephi store would have to deal with it.

Congratulations - Persistence pays off!..:C

Too bad it req'd a month - and a 200 mile RT.

~

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire replaced. I removed the wheel/tire and took it on a 200 mile round trip. They replaced it within an hour, which was good. They weren't happy about it, and said if I had any more trouble, the Nephi store would have to deal with it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got off the phone with "Jesse" at Big O in Kennewick.

He's agreed, although somewhat reluctantly, to replace the one cracked LT tire, which I said was ok with me. He wanted to replace all 4 with STs, but not for free. The OEM sticker on the coach specified LTs, so he said ok.

I guess what this comes down to is the personal preference (and maybe store policy) of what kind of tires to put on a trailer.

I was getting nowhere with emails. Sometimes a good old phone call is the best way to deal with some businesses. He apologized for this taking so long, which I appreciated. It shouldn't be this difficult.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
gkainz wrote:
this has been around forever, and it's only getting worse
In that cartoon I don't see the back-up beeper...the loudest and most obnoxious noise at a construction site.

That's when the horse farts.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz wrote:
In that cartoon I don't see the back-up beeper...the loudest and most obnoxious noise at a construction site.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
If ST tires did not fail at the rate they do, we would not be having the conversation. To all that think ST are the way to go I say enjoy, just do not come back whining that the side of your trailer is ripped to pieces when one fails for no apparent reason other than that is what they do way to often.

I am not a great fan of poly carcass LT's on heavier trailers. The XPS Rib or R250 do much better with their steel ply sidewalls. Find a post about one of those two failing. They have a better track record than the GY G614.

The real issue is why are people being forced to continue to use substandard ST tires?

Chris

Will agree with your assessment on those tires Chris. Since 05-06, GY G614's seem to be a better tire..I've had zero issues with mine and again, the one that did "throw it's tread" was a product of a weak spring pack that only allowed about 1" of clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well of the 5er( build date on tires were 0606).....so I've been using G614's since 07 and no failures due to bad actual tire failures.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
taken wrote:
To further the confusion, what are my Goodyear G614's? They were LT and still have "LT" in the official sizing info but if you look at Goodyear's site it states their "position" as trailer. I was arguing for LT tires on another forum and a guy pointed out that my tires were now ST. LOL. I love em either way...

The things we hear on the net LOL.
This short email from Goodyear to my question "what does the RST stand for" on your G614 tires.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 200
Innovation Way Akron, OH 44316-0001 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site. RST for "Regional Service Trailer"
is correct.

Jennifer - Consumer Relations.

The G614 is what it says it is and a LT used for regional service trailer.

Similar situation with the new euro all position tires used for vans/trucks and trailers. Some misinformed folks say their a ST tire even when the tire maker tells us they are not.

I had an almost verbatim e-mail from Goodyear also when I personally questioned if they were actually LT tires...So that's what I call them, the exact same thing Goodyear calls them.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a week's time, I emailed the guy in Kennewick. He replied promptly and asked, again, what the tire size was so they will have some ready for me.

I've asked what the details are so I will (hopefully) know exactly what they're doing before I get there.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I think all or most tire stores are watching more about what tire/size that came on the item that the tires are being put on and not wanting to stray from that because of the liability that is involved.
That would or could be a nasty lawsuit for both the trailer owner and the tire store if an LT tire blew out on a trailer that was suppose to only have ST tires and caused an accident causing a death. I'm betting the courts would rule in the victims favor that ST tires should have been on that trailer.
Just my .02 and something I always try to keep in mind.

My opinion also ... more lawyering up on everything in our life ...

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If ST tires did not fail at the rate they do, we would not be having the conversation. To all that think ST are the way to go I say enjoy, just do not come back whining that the side of your trailer is ripped to pieces when one fails for no apparent reason other than that is what they do way to often.

I am not a great fan of poly carcass LT's on heavier trailers. The XPS Rib or R250 do much better with their steel ply sidewalls. Find a post about one of those two failing. They have a better track record than the GY G614.

The real issue is why are people being forced to continue to use substandard ST tires?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I think all or most tire stores are watching more about what tire/size that came on the item that the tires are being put on and not wanting to stray from that because of the liability that is involved.
That would or could be a nasty lawsuit for both the trailer owner and the tire store if an LT tire blew out on a trailer that was suppose to only have ST tires and caused an accident causing a death. I'm betting the courts would rule in the victims favor that ST tires should have been on that trailer.

Keep in mind we used light truck and P tires on our trailers years before ST tires were ever made.
If your theory was true then why do trailer makers use P and LT tires as OEM ...... and have since folks have pulled trailers.

Hell a 11500 GVWR Domani 5th wheel trailer used a P285/50/20R Goodyear Fortena on it as a option and was placarded on the trailer that way. One member couldn't find a replacement for the 20" P tires as Goodyear no longer made the tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP