Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need dry camping spots recommendation

jblake240
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I or retiring soon and
will be doing a great deal of travailing
in our 41ft FW, and would love to dry camp.
If anyone could recommend there favorite spots,
it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank Blake
10 REPLIES 10

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
never returned oh well
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Blake I can't tell you where we camp, but weLOVE Co,Az, and NM.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Desert SW has miles and miles and miles and miles and miles...of nuttin'. Biggest problem with a rig that size will be getting there. Personally, I prefer forests and that's a major reason that I don't want anything > 30-31' in OAL. Your size will also prohibit you from using many older campgrounds. You might fit in a spot, but you won't be able to =get to= it due to narrow, tight roads.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
jblake240 wrote:
My wife and I or retiring soon and
will be doing a great deal of travailing
in our 41ft FW, and would love to dry camp.
If anyone could recommend there favorite spots,
it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank Blake

The very best place to dry camp would be Mays restaurant parking lot. But if you want to travel check out the NATCHEZ Trace, Beaches in Louisiana and Texas in particular Holly Beach Louisiana and Crystal Beach Texas and any beach in Galveston county. $10.00 PER YEAR to dry camp right on the beach. Tonto National forest around Lake Roosevelt has many boon docking opportunities. In addition they have campsites for as little as $3.00 per day with the Geezer pass. PM me for particulars if you care too
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I've always thought of dry camping as being in a campground with no electric/water/sewer but with designated spaces and boondocking as parking where ever out in the open. If your talking about out in the open and park where you please, comes to the desert southwest. Lots of great places.

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
"dry" camp? stay away from gullies, swales, etc ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
www.forestcamping.com is a great resource for national forests. Once you find something there, go to the NFS site and check it out.

Almost all NFS sites are primitive, although some have electric. Most in the east have potable water, many in the west do not. To my knowledge all NFS developed campgrounds have toilet facilities, usually vaults.

Given the size of your rig, check the site descriptions carefully. It's a good idea to call the ranger district to verify open dates & amenities, sometimes there are closures due to flood, storm damage, etc.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Also check BLM and www.recreation.gov
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
In traveling all over if you stay at state parks many will have electric only sites. Try Reserveamerica.com for areas of your interest. Many in the Midwest Northern states... think Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Dakotas/Wyoming have dry camping as the winters are pretty brutal on plumbing if not deep enough.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires