cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New interstate speed limits

madbow43
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a road trip with the family Outback . Traveled US 93 , I 15 , I 84 . In Nevada, Oregon , Idaho and Utah. Limits are from 70 to 80mph , posted speed , well everyone is plus 10mph , myself included. My question is , while towing our 5th wheel my speed is about 62mph , sweet spot . Should I run with my 4ways on? I saw a car in Idaho doing just that traveling in the slow lane at 60-65
39 REPLIES 39

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
otrfun wrote:
Agree, you shouldn't make a lane change with your hazard lights on.

What's your point? We should never turn on our hazard lights because we may forget to turn them off for a lane change???

I guess it only happens to me. My point is you are trading one hazard for another. IMO disabling the turn signals is a bigger hazard than just going slow in the right hand lane.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ALL vehicles towing in California have a speed limit of 55 unless the posted limit is less. I travel at 62 as do most trucks. Cars and pickups towing often pass us.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the world of our US Gov't and semi driver's about speed limiters on semis. No agreement on top speed (62,65, 68) has been thrown about. Most if not all newer trucks are computer controlled and speeds can be set per the company or owner operator. Do you recall states w/ split speed limits for cars and semis? 55 for semis and 65 for cars! It has been argued, fought and finally some sense came to the powers that be, that split speeds are a accident waiting to happen. So now there are very few if any states w/ split speed limits. Might have reduce speeds in some states at nighttime. Don't think you will ever see speeds for semis/RV's much above 65-70. May be wrong, but IMO, that's just not safe especially for TT's.

As for use of 4-ways, only if you don't have lights except 4-ways at night, broken down, going at least 10+ mph slower than traffic on hills or if in driving rain storm/snow. Another use of them is if you see traffic or are coming up on traffic that is going REAL slow to alert those behind you that something is up. Not all behind you will head what your doing as they will probly try and go around you only to say "OS". Have seen it done many times driving my semi.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
otrfun wrote:
We as drivers get used to seeing a lot of things on the interstate--all the time, including "10'+ high walls". Monotony and boredom can easily result in a tired, pseudo hypnotic state for a lot drivers---especially after driving hours non-stop at 75-80 MPH. Sometimes hazard lights are the last option we "slower" drivers have, to alert, wake-up drivers behind us that something is amiss, out of the ordinary, ahead.

It's customary for truckers to use hazard lights when their speeds drop on inclines. I think for the vast majority of drivers, hazard lights mean one thing---use caution, watch-out, I may be stopped or going slower than you think.

Why wait until you're already in an absolute emergency (i.e., accident) before you turn on your hazard lights? One of the first things to go in a rear-end collision is your hazard lights. What good are hazard lights at that point?

Yes and the monotony of driving with hazards on is often forgotten when making a lane change.
How do you deal with NO TURN SIGNALS?
Agree, you shouldn't make a lane change with your hazard lights on.

What's your point? We should never turn on our hazard lights because we may forget to turn them off for a lane change???

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
otrfun wrote:
We as drivers get used to seeing a lot of things on the interstate--all the time, including "10'+ high walls". Monotony and boredom can easily result in a tired, pseudo hypnotic state for a lot drivers---especially after driving hours non-stop at 75-80 MPH. Sometimes hazard lights are the last option we "slower" drivers have, to alert, wake-up drivers behind us that something is amiss, out of the ordinary, ahead.

It's customary for truckers to use hazard lights when their speeds drop on inclines. I think for the vast majority of drivers, hazard lights mean one thing---use caution, watch-out, I may be stopped or going slower than you think.

Why wait until you're already in an absolute emergency (i.e., accident) before you turn on your hazard lights? One of the first things to go in a rear-end collision is your hazard lights. What good are hazard lights at that point?

Yes and the monotony of driving with hazards on is often forgotten when making a lane change.
How do you deal with NO TURN SIGNALS?

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't know why the states even put up speed limit signs any more. No one reads them any more. Like who's going catch me anyway. Law enforcement is not even out there any more. So I'll just keep on driving my low/ posted speed, so when you come on me, try not to run me over.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Even though I do not like to drive at 70 mph in my DD or 60 in my MoHo, I think the CA Highway Patrol and our legislature have the collective heads up the behinds and in outlying areas like I-5 n/o Castaic where the truck speed should be 60 to 65.

There are areas in CA where 45 is too fast for us big guys and sadly I must admit my home town of Los Angeles has some of the worst drivers during rush hours(those are from 06:00am to +/- 09:00pm. It is not exclusive to L.A but all Big cities in CA.

With that said, if we turned our flashers on when the real time speed is less than 45mph, we would have them on all the time. But in the mountains and away from city traffic, 45 to 40 is when I turn mine on.

As far as me being a hazard driving in the far right lane at 55 to 60 in my rig in a 70 to 80 mile zone, I don't really see that. It is far safer than those drivers that feel 70 mph in the right lane is a God given right when the left lane is averaging 65mph.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kansas use to have signs for minimum speed limit, 45mph. Lot of truckers drive 65 mph. I personally tow 67 to 70 mph on interstates. If you drop down below 45 mph on the interstate I would run the flashers any speed above 45 I would not.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
Oregon is still 60 when towing. I also like towing at 62 but I usually find a trucker and follow him. As for the four way flashers I turn them on if I'm climbing a hill and doing under 45 mph.

Is that for trucks or does it apply to fifth wheels also?

I've towed at 65-70 in Oregon with no issues in areas with limits that high.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
In the past two years we have driven a good many miles in those 70-80 mph Western states -- and at 65-68 MPH. not only were we passed by many, we passed our fair share. The only time I recall feeling any sense of danger was one time in Utah that I almost ran over some knucklehead driving his 6 figure class A at 45-50 mph, no signals, in an 80 mph lane. I doubt very much that I held up any interstate traffic, that it could easily get around me if they so desired. Would I prefer to drive along at the flow of traffic speed? Sure, but not in my pickup hauling our 12,000+ pound 5th wheel. So, flashers - not if you are driving 62-65. At 45-50, probably be a good idea

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a long time since I took my CDL test but I believe if you are over 15 mph under the posted speed limit you are required to turn 4 ways on. This warns those coming from behind that you are traveling considerably slower than they may be.
If you can't run near the posted limit, then maybe drive off the interstate.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
General rule of thumb for truckers is flashers on when you drop below 40, usually when climbing. Otherwise, no.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
When we were in Utah and Nevada this summer they have signs saying to turn flashers ON when running slower than the flow of traffic.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Bothers me in Cali with their 55 mph towing speed limit when everyone else is flying by at 70+ (usually 80+). Dangerous. I applied some yellow/black caution tape to the back of my trailer.

*Most* truckers (and others towing) in CA will be traveling at approx 62 mph.

*Many* will be traveling faster than that.
Both commercial and non-commercial (towing boats, trailers, etc.)

No different than the folks *NOT* towing - driving 80 in a 65.

CHP has other things to do - and they like to keep traffic moving.

As long as you're not the "point man" - chances of being singled out of the pack are slim and none.

Hope your tape helps!

~

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
NEVER use the hazard flashers . . .
sch911 wrote:
No! 4 ways are only for emergency situations.
Terryallan wrote:
IF they can't see that 10'+ high wall. Hazard lights ain't gonna help them.
I disagree.