Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to 5th Wheel and looking for information

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Long time RVer, but my first 5th Wheel.

I have a 2001 Jayco Eagle 293 with 2 slides. The GVWR is 11,500. I don't have a TV yet and want to make sure I get the numbers right before purchasing a TV. I had it delivered to where I live and have plenty of time to find the correct TV.

Since I won't being buying a new truck, but a used truck, about late 90's or early 2000's, mainly because I don't want a truck loan and will be paying cash. Brand doesn't matter since I have owned or operated all. I would also like to get a diesel and it will be my daily driver. So I need some help.

1. How to I figure pin weight? I was guessing 18% to 20% of GVWR
2. What size truck 3/4 or 1 ton?
3. Would a 16K hitch be good?
4. Also anything else I may have forgot is open for advise.

Thanks
Arnold
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
13 REPLIES 13

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice so far.....

Diesel trucks - you want a one ton.

Chevy/GMC D-Max - good choice.

Dodge RAM - preferable manual trans. If auto - 48RE - is/was a big improvement over the 47RE. Good to xln't.
(IMO SRW or Dually - long or short bed = your call on what you find).

Ford - 7.3 - good to xln't.
6.0 pass on those = NG.
Sorry ferd folks - it is what it is.

Suggest - visit the diesel forums for *each brand*.
Read and learn, Read and heed!..:W
No brand bashing there - everyone on the forum usually owns one!
Check for "problems" and how solved, etc. - for the various engines, transmissions, etc.
Good-bad-ugly....it's all there.

Happy hunting!..:)

~

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128, is pretty much right on!

My 01 Ram 2500 pulling a 12,320# GVWR 5er is over the TV GVWR, but it is a Camper Package so has 3500 springs, but still a 6,084# GRAWR, which I am still under!
The 5er tows at about 11,000# and I still have about 800# to 900# of axle capacity to go, easy to do when the GVWR is only 78% of total axle rating.

If I were in the market starting fresh and wanted to pull the op's RV I would get the same truck as you but in a 02 with the 6 speed. I have the 5 speed in my white 98 and I find I keep looking for 6th even with 3:54 gears.

The only real problem with that era Cummins was the lift pump would die and take out the injection pump. I will bet well over 90% of these engines have been upgraded to a better lift pump and injection pump.

Another plus as said is these trucks have beefy rear springs/sway bar and with a stick you get the legendary Dana 80 rear axle. Don't waste your time looking at the ratings RAM way under rated those trucks.

Yep, two things I didn't mention, installed a set of gauges, Fuel Pressure, Boost, and Exhaust Gas Temperature, AND a good after market Lift Pump (AKA Fuel Pump).

This is my daily driver and have no issues, the real worl price is a bit of a mystery add run from about $6,000 for high mileage (350,000+) to $20,000+ ("Investment Truck":R). You should be able to find a decent one for $9,000 to $12,000, if the truck is in good shape don't be afraid of 200,000 miles+, I am currently at 274,000.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:

My 01 Ram 2500 pulling a 12,320# GVWR 5er is over the TV GVWR, but it is a Camper Package so has 3500 springs, but still a 6,084# GRAWR, which I am still under!
The 5er tows at about 11,000# and I still have about 800# to 900# of axle capacity to go, easy to do when the GVWR is only 78% of total axle rating.

If I were in the market starting fresh and wanted to pull the op's RV I would get the same truck as you but in a 02 with the 6 speed. I have the 5 speed in my white 98 and I find I keep looking for 6th even with 3:54 gears.

The only real problem with that era Cummins was the lift pump would die and take out the injection pump. I will bet well over 90% of these engines have been upgraded to a better lift pump and injection pump.

Another plus as said is these trucks have beefy rear springs/sway bar and with a stick you get the legendary Dana 80 rear axle. Don't waste your time looking at the ratings RAM way under rated those trucks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
dalmationlovers wrote:
How about pin weight? Are my calculations close?

Probably, but it really depends on the specific trailer. It could be north of 20% but there is no way of knowing until you actually get it on some scales with it fully loaded.

When looking for a truck my advice would be to assume the pin weight is on the heavy side and buy accordingly. I'd allow for a pin weight of at least 2,500 (22% x 11,500) and shop for a truck that could handle that, plus the weight of the hitch and everything else you plan to carry in the truck.

As others have said, go bigger and newer...
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS (trade in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes on the calc. I agree with at least a 1T srw. My dually was my DD for 8 years and I got a second vehicle just to keep the miles off the truck. The dually is way more stable than a srw and DD was no problem. I don't know what's up with the low weight ratings on older trucks, especially my 03 dually. My 03 is far more stable with our 15k 5er than my previous srw was with a 9600 5er. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I will look to get the most truck I can buy, but don't want to sell the farm to get a loan. Doesn't make since to me.

How about pin weight? Are my calculations close?
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dalmationlovers wrote:
Long time RVer, but my first 5th Wheel.

I have a 2001 Jayco Eagle 293 with 2 slides. The GVWR is 11,500. I don't have a TV yet and want to make sure I get the numbers right before purchasing a TV. I had it delivered to where I live and have plenty of time to find the correct TV.

Since I won't being buying a new truck, but a used truck, about late 90's or early 2000's, mainly because I don't want a truck loan and will be paying cash. Brand doesn't matter since I have owned or operated all. I would also like to get a diesel and it will be my daily driver. So I need some help.

1. How to I figure pin weight? I was guessing 18% to 20% of GVWR
2. What size truck 3/4 or 1 ton?
3. Would a 16K hitch be good?
4. Also anything else I may have forgot is open for advise.

Thanks
Arnold

Arnold, you want, at minimum, a SRW 1 ton, as new as you can afford. As it's going to be your daily driver, do you =need= the extra maintenance and hassle of the dually? Check the weights on your FW and see what works with the various ages of truck. The early Duramaxes are a bit wimpy, but still better than the Fords, especially around the 2005 age. Biggest complaint I have with my '02 D'max is that the 5-speed Allison was designed with NO overdrive cutoff, either by switch or by shifter selection. Absolutely BRILLIANT decision...NOT! If not the D'max, the Cummins would be my 2nd choice over the Ford. IMO, if you can afford it, find an '06 or early '07 Duramax 3500 and you'll have better payload (yes, not as good as today's trucks) AND you'll not have to mess with the pollution control b.s.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
What Donn said about older trucks not having the payload is correct. When we ordered our fifth, I had an F250 diesel. Once we placed the trailer order, I started looking at the specs on my truck closer, and because of its configuration, there was an asterisk that said if this is your truck, you can only carry suit cases in the bed of your truck..... Not really, but almost. So I traded for a used 07 Chevy diesel dully, and love it. It was my daily driver in the winter before I retired, but I had a small summer car.

This is one case, towing wise, where bigger really is better.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I understand wanting to have use the truck as your daily vehicle.
A certain caution must be advised though, think about traffic, parking and fuel economy and make certain it's worth it.
If you are driving say a couple miles to a lot around PSNS, maybe it's not too bad. But if you are driving around to Seattle (as one friend was), it quickly becomes a killer. At some point the fuel cost would justify getting an econo-car also.
The previous owner to our truck tried it as a daily, and learned the fuel costs were killing him.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will want a 1 ton along with Don's advice.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
2. A Chevy/GMC 2500 with Duramax & Allison later 2007 or later if you can afford it would be my first choice. Ford F250 with low mileage diesel would be my second choice.

3. 16K hitch is good. I prefer the B&W Companion Hitch.

4. My actual choice would be as big of truck as you can afford. Once I got an MDT (Chevy C4500) I was amazed at how much better and safer it is as a tow vehicle. The guys with the HDTs claim they are even better than the MDTs. It's funny, you can pick up a good HDT with lots of miles left in it for a lot less than you can a same year light duty F250 or 2500.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
That old of a truck get a dually. The older trucks did not have the payload capacities that newer ones have so you really need to upsize more than say if you got a 2004 or newer model. If you were to end up in the Dodge camp be sure to get the manual transmission. If you go Ford, avoid the 6.0L diesel like the plague. If you go GM do not look at diesels. The older ones were terrible. Instead look for a big block gas motor. Of course those will eat you alive in gas bills.