cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new to fifth wheel towing

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to become fifth wheel campers. Have always towed a bumper pull complete with the equalizer hitches and all the fun that goes with that style of hooking up. We are hoping that this will be quicker and easier? We have upgraded our truck from a 3/4 ton gas short bed to a 1 ton, diesel, dually in hopes we will be able to tow up and down mountain roads. The trailers we are looking at are around 16500 pounds. Would love to hear any and all suggestions on this new venture. We had a 26000 hitch installed today, so first time towing is coming soon.
18 REPLIES 18

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Backing 5vr doesn't respond as quickly as bumper pull....at first but when 5vr starts to respond it does so faster.

Also 5vr wheels will track inside of trucks wheels when making turns.

Hooking up.....
King pin plate should be lower than hitch plate so when you back in the king pin rides up hitch plate. This prevents 'high hitching' which is where king pin is not captured by hitch jaws which can happen it king pin plate is higher than hitch plate and lowered into hitch.

After hooking up....
Visually verify hitch jaw(s) have closed around king pin and then do a 'pull test'

Pull Test.....
5vr hitched, umbilical cord plugged in, emergency brake cable attached....raise 5vr front landing gear legs until they just lift off ground (5vr full supported by truck)
Then start truck, engage brake controller manual lever fully (wheel chocks should still be in place), place truck in 'drive' and give the 5vr a good tug.
This checks that hitch jaw(s) are locked.

Go to a large parking lot and practice.......backing into parking spots, maneuvering thru turns (right/left), pulling into parking spots 'straight' (no cutting corners-cause those could be curbs or other vehicles)

Have fun!

Which 5vr are you looking at??????

Step-by-steps are posted here:
Hitching and Un-hitching fifth wheel

You need to see the manual for your actual fifth wheel, but they'll be quite similar.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I'd follow what old biscuit said with one exception. Only follow his hookup suggestions after you read the instructions that come with your hitch and verify they are the same as his suggestions. Not all hitches follow the same rules.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much. We have the hitch, which was part of negotiations in dually purchase. We have not purchased our trailer yet, but have certainly been given a lot to think about. Y'all are terriffic. Will let you know when we finish negotiations and try our first hitching.

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
I personally avoid hitching and unhitching on a hill. Slight incline of a driveway maybe, but NEVER on a hill.

Maybe I should clarify here:R...."hilly areas" as in where there is an incline. Not all campsites are perfectly level.
From the Adirondacks
Him-USAF, Ret. & Her-Landscape Photographer
Cougar by Keystone 5th Wheel
Silverado 2500 Diesel

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I personally avoid hitching and unhitching on a hill. Slight incline of a driveway maybe, but NEVER on a hill.

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, Pipers

We just jumped in and bought another 5th wheel after having owned a small TT and years ago, a 5th wheel. Even after having the best hitch there is with an equalizer, he felt that a TT was more difficult to hitch and unhitch and felt the wind shear of the big rigs more on the interstate.

I don't know the name of the hitch, but we bought a hitch (upon the advice of the dealership service dept.), a hitch that makes it easier to hook up on hilly areas. Noting that you mentioned hills, you may want to look into this hitch.

Enjoy
From the Adirondacks
Him-USAF, Ret. & Her-Landscape Photographer
Cougar by Keystone 5th Wheel
Silverado 2500 Diesel

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest, from the Dowell Schlumberger driving school, before you dolly up, use a flashlight and make double darn sure the jaws are closed around, or the bar is behind the pin. If not you can travel farther than you would think with the kingpin not locked, or engaged over the top of the fifth wheel. This then allows the trailer to ride up into the cab and/or fall onto the bed and the ground. I have seen it and helped recover two trailers where the driver dropped them. A very bad day for all concerned.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a small lightweight chain with a hook on one end so I could hook it on the kingpin. I cut the length so when the end was touching the ground, that was the perfect height for hitching to the truck. I lost the chain but I always carry a small tape measure in the truck to set the pin height for hitching. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you've done some planning! Good for you.
Easier and quicker to hook up and unhook. As said always do a pull test with wheels chocked and front legs just barely off the ground to avoid hitting the bed if the coupler is not latched.
Know you rigs height as 5th are usually taller that tow behinds, so tree limbs and overheads are mmore of an issue.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Print what Old-Biscuit wrote and memorize it! Get in the habit of hooking up and unhooking the same way each and every time. Do not let anyone distract you.

If you are shopping for new fivers, do yourself a favor and get one equipped with the 6-point leveling system. You will be glad you did later.

You are sure starting off with enough truck to pull about anything. But don't expect to be able to park it in every small congested parking lot when using it as your daily driver while traveling.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about quicker but easier, Yes. You should have no issues with the weight.

I have an SRW but much lighter fiver (around 14K loaded) and was able to climb a few 14% grades down in Utah albeit with white knuckles :-).

Just take your time and don't allow ANYONE to talk or distract you during hitching and unhitching. So, easy to forget one step and very unforgiving if you do. Couldn't of said it better than Old-Biscuit.

One of the best examples I've seen for backing a fiver is http://michigantraveler.org/2013/01/22/z-method-for-backing-a-5th-wheel/
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Backing 5vr doesn't respond as quickly as bumper pull....at first but when 5vr starts to respond it does so faster.

Also 5vr wheels will track inside of trucks wheels when making turns.

Hooking up.....
King pin plate should be lower than hitch plate so when you back in the king pin rides up hitch plate. This prevents 'high hitching' which is where king pin is not captured by hitch jaws which can happen it king pin plate is higher than hitch plate and lowered into hitch.

After hooking up....
Visually verify hitch jaw(s) have closed around king pin and then do a 'pull test'

Pull Test.....
5vr hitched, umbilical cord plugged in, emergency brake cable attached....raise 5vr front landing gear legs until they just lift off ground (5vr full supported by truck)
Then start truck, engage brake controller manual lever fully (wheel chocks should still be in place), place truck in 'drive' and give the 5vr a good tug.
This checks that hitch jaw(s) are locked.

Go to a large parking lot and practice.......backing into parking spots, maneuvering thru turns (right/left), pulling into parking spots 'straight' (no cutting corners-cause those could be curbs or other vehicles)

Have fun!

Which 5vr are you looking at??????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Just take your time hitching, your gonna love it. Yeah backing is different, easier in my opinion, just a bit of a adjustment period.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks so much. The combined dry weight and capacity is 16500. We've heard that there is a distinct difference in the way you back between the TT and 5th wheel. I guess that skill will need to be worked on. We have also never had a dually, and I've already heard that curbs have been know to jump out and grab that outer wheel.

After 130,000 miles with a dually I can tell you with certainty that they are not a big deal. Go drive it 300 miles and in some traffic and you will be a pro. The truck is no longer than any non dually truck and no wider than the mirrors. Just be a little careful if you like 'drive throughs' or parking garages. Otherwise the stability is absolutely noticable over a single rear wheel truck especially towing. As to the fifth just remember that once it starts to turn in a backing situation it will turn faster than a travel trailer. Be ready for it, a big parking lot and an hour will get you familiar with it's characteristics.

On another subject I would invest in a bed saver (I think Blue Ox sell them) to keep the truck bed from damage should you have a senior moment and forget to hitch something. Saves lots of truck damage and down time.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.