cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RVs.....A Few Newbie Questions

etcsthorne
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I'm retired Navy (23 years) and getting ready to retire from my second career (Civil Service). My name is Mark.

I'm going to purchase a fifth wheel and towing truck in the next six months for the wife and I to live in, travel and enjoy retirement.

I live in Eastern Virginia and will be purchasing here and traveling to eastern Oregon at least initially, since our relatives live out there.

My cash budget to purchase the fifth wheel and truck will be $150K. I've spent about a week reading about the various RV makes, quality and reliabilty "opinions" and such. Any recommendations on the best quality RV fifth wheel for around $75K? I can figure the truck out myself and have targeted RAM 3500 and Ford 3500 deisels for further analysis before I buy those. Don't need all the bells and whistles that would drive truck prices up to 90K or so.....I think I'll be in a truck for around 60K with the specifications I want.

Thank you!

Mark
28 REPLIES 28

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
etcsthorne wrote:
Thank you for the thank you (service). I'm torn on the diesel part because I know what you say is true about fuel and repairs. Will the larger gas trucks pull the fifth wheels? Electronics Technician in the service and database analyst / program manager in Civil Service and this of all things seems like rocket science to get the weights figured out! LOL! I feel so newbie'ish.

Depends on how big of a 5th wheel (GVWR).
- 16,000lb+ Diesel is the way to go.
- 10,000lb or less, I would lean toward Gas for simplicity and lower up front cost

The days of saving money with cheap diesel fuel to cover the up front cost are long gone and it's nothing for a gas truck to last 200-250k miles, so you really won't gain anything in terms of longevity.

Between those numbers it's a spectrum...the higher the weight and the more miles (particularly in mountains), the more I would lean toward diesel. Also, if it's a full height overhang, that creates more wind resistance favoring the strength of a diesel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

etcsthorne
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
SUMRX4 said the same thing I was going to say as well about attending the Hershey show. Do you have a floorpan in mind already? If so, look at those on factory websites and IF going to the Hershey show, call the mfr up of each brand/floorplan your interested in to see if it will be at the shoe. If not, then what dealer would have it that you could drive to see it within "X" mile radius. DON'T buy on BLING !!!!!! A lot of mfr's/dealers will load/dress them up w/ everything to get your attention and OUUUUUUU, AHHHHHHHHHH. Look at floor plans that meet your criteria and , "we can make it work" if it doesn't.

As you've read on this forum, many folks are partial to their brand wether it be RV, truck, hitch etc. Most will agree too that anything over 15k total RV weight is DRW territory. Translated: over 3k in wet pin weight and 15k in overall weight or max weight of RV. Do you want gas or diesel? Diesel will net better pulling and mpg's but they can be $$$ to fix along w/ other factors. Look at gas stats. Will you be in a lot of hills or flatlands?

Lastly, THANK YOU for your service to our country and helping the rest of us to be safe and enjoy the freedoms put in place by our forefathers.

Thank you for the thank you (service). I'm torn on the diesel part because I know what you say is true about fuel and repairs. Will the larger gas trucks pull the fifth wheels? Electronics Technician in the service and database analyst / program manager in Civil Service and this of all things seems like rocket science to get the weights figured out! LOL! I feel so newbie'ish.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
x-2 on RV outlet USA good people and service, They carry the Keystone lines, but have almost no inventory right now, but may be worth ordering through since you have time. RV outlet USA
K-Z you have a dealer near West Point Va. Scenic view rv
General RV carries quite a few Grand Design, but I would recommend just perusing the units, I would look elsewhere to buy.

Also if you are looking Ram, while out in Danville area check out Kernersville Ram/Dodge
One of the bigger Ram dealers in the area and usually have plenty in stock.

I'll second the KZ suggestion. I'm pretty happy with our '17 Durango 1500 277RLT. Currently, KZ has 3 model lines for Durango, the Durango Half-Ton (used to be 1500), the Durango (used to be 2500) and the Durango Gold, their top of the line. For the money you have budgeted, I'm sure you could get into the mid-level Durango (as opposed to the Durango Gold), new. If you shop around, you just might luck into a Durango Gold trade-in.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to full time in it (or anything that equals "a lot of time") you probably want something that is truly "4 Season". They are going to have better insulation (for hot and cold purposes) and other similar amenities.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
SUMRX4 said the same thing I was going to say as well about attending the Hershey show. Do you have a floorpan in mind already? If so, look at those on factory websites and IF going to the Hershey show, call the mfr up of each brand/floorplan your interested in to see if it will be at the shoe. If not, then what dealer would have it that you could drive to see it within "X" mile radius. DON'T buy on BLING !!!!!! A lot of mfr's/dealers will load/dress them up w/ everything to get your attention and OUUUUUUU, AHHHHHHHHHH. Look at floor plans that meet your criteria and , "we can make it work" if it doesn't.

As you've read on this forum, many folks are partial to their brand wether it be RV, truck, hitch etc. Most will agree too that anything over 15k total RV weight is DRW territory. Translated: over 3k in wet pin weight and 15k in overall weight or max weight of RV. Do you want gas or diesel? Diesel will net better pulling and mpg's but they can be $$$ to fix along w/ other factors. Look at gas stats. Will you be in a lot of hills or flatlands?

Lastly, THANK YOU for your service to our country and helping the rest of us to be safe and enjoy the freedoms put in place by our forefathers.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
x-2 on RV outlet USA good people and service, They carry the Keystone lines, but have almost no inventory right now, but may be worth ordering through since you have time. RV outlet USA
K-Z you have a dealer near West Point Va. Scenic view rv
General RV carries quite a few Grand Design, but I would recommend just perusing the units, I would look elsewhere to buy.

Also if you are looking Ram, while out in Danville area check out Kernersville Ram/Dodge
One of the bigger Ram dealers in the area and usually have plenty in stock.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know you said "can figure truck out myself", but a couple of thoughts. Long beds work best for full timing. In a standard bed 6.5 bed, Ford has more clearance rear axle center to truck rear window.

In any new truck, used for FW towing, the fifth wheel prep option, is a great choice, and I would get the B&W hitch that fits it.

Welcome to the forum,

Jerry

etcsthorne
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very kindly for all the detailed (and quick!) replies. I will take what I've read here and apply it. I've bought vehicles in Danville, Va in the past because this area is just rediculous in pricing for everything. I will be hooked up for the most part once we get to Oregon. I don't see us boon docking much. Thank you again!

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are currently in the same boat. We have been looking at floor plans off and on for months but are finally in a position to get serious about it. Have visited a few dealers to actually walk inside units and look at fit and finish. Not sure if you are aware but there is a big RV show coming up in Hershey, PA Sept 16-19. Our hope is we can see enough models to decide whish one we want. Then we will start shopping dealers for pricing. For what its worth, RV outlet in Danville seems to have a pretty good inventory and pricing as well.
Made the mistake of stopping at General a couple weekends ago simply because they typically have a large inventory. Was disappointed that they didn't(at least in the floor plans we are looking at). They seemed to think the world would stop turning if we didn't make a decision and buy their unit today so be forewarned if you go there.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with what wanderingaimlessly stated. When we decided on a FW, we went to every local dealer and "tried" them out. Opening the cupboards, paying attention to how they felt. Were they flimsy, etc. We asked the salesman to bring in the slides so we could see what the living space would be when we stopped at a truck stop for the night en route or when we just stop for lunch. Could we access the fridge, sink, stove, bathroom, bedroom, shower? All that was important to us because after 4 previous TT's, especially our last one, we couldn't access the fridge with the slide in and had to pack a cooler for traveling. To some that may not be a big deal, but to us it was. Since we work full time, we often leave after work and drive as far as we can staying with truckers overnight if we have to, so putting the slides out is not an option. Most new FW's in that price range come with residential fridges. For us that would not work, at all, an RV fridge is a must since most of our camping is boondocking or FS. We don't care for RV parks, only staying in them as needed to wash clothes or to dump our tanks and fill up again for the next dry camping stint. We purchased our FW brand new in 2010 and love it. Very solid. In comparing it to a Montana, it had all the same fit and finish, but with a few more options. Our tanks are big enough that we can dry camp for a week and still have water left over. Glad we spent the money.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
In that price range, you have lots of options.

Truck and trailer should be considered together as much as possible.

Do get a good idea of the GVWR of the trailers you are looking at and make sure the truck is suitable (you list 1 ton trucks but don't clarify if you are looking at dually). Figure 25% of the GVWR sits on the hitch as a good starting point.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
You have Chesapeake RV solutions and TAC RV center both in the Chesapeake area. Tac is just across state line in Moyock NC. Both of these dealers carry nice units.
As a suggestion, I would look at what floor plans appealed to me and not let length get in the way. The only appliance I would think carefully about is whether you plan to boon dock or primarily stay in full hook up cgs. We went with a residential fridge as we do not boon dock.

We have owned several including a dp motor home and this last time we narrowed it down to the rig in our sig and Grand Design. Floor plans and the extra insulation made our decision. It is almost a guarantee that whatever you purchase will have something that needs tweaking.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You can spend some valuable time searching this Forum for various topics one of which might be the make/model of the RV you are considering. Someone has probably already purchased it and spent some time in it so you can get experience and not even have to leave your house.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on retirement, From an Old Coastie also retired in Va.
First suggestion is to look at some lines in person. You can get ideas on floorplans as to what configuration you want, rear living, maximum interior space etc, but once you get an idea on that you need to go look at the lines. Appliances and equipment are pretty standard across all lines, build of the structure and finish varies greatly.
Filon or other exterior will be pretty standard in the price range your looking at but whats under it will vary.
Just like in a home cabinets and furnishings will tell you some. Particle board covered in a shelf paper type material is the cheapest, and will show wear the quickest. Plywood is better, and hardwood is better still. Staples are the cheapest joinery, nails and screws are better with screwed and glued being better still.
Stand alone furniture tends to be better than built in in quality.
How do you plan to use the unit? Always in a campground with hookups? or mostly Boondocking?
Tank sizes become important when having to self sustain, they lose importance if going from established campground to established campground.
Length can be an issue in some older campgrounds, especially the older National Park campgrounds, but can often be overcome by moving outside the park.
As to brands, in your price range the upscale Keystones, Avalanche, Alpine, Montana's and Cougars are popular, others would be Grand Design, K-Z, and Jayco. These lines also give longer warranties than most of the others. And if you intend to buy and immediately hit the road, consider that most dealers are so backed up on service that they tend to work with their own sales customers first, finding a service location while on the road is usually best done by independents and some manufacturers are better about working with them than others, again the brands mentioned above seem to have better reviews than some others.
Dealers, Look for the NON chains. Most of the big chains bring with them all of the scurrilous practices from the used car business, from doc fees to prep charges to PDI cost. Look at the websites for the dealers and if they don't state up front pricing, get a list of the horsecrap fees up front so you can directly compare pricing. Some independents price their units out the door.
Raleigh NC host a couple of RV shows a year, most lines will have dealers there. Va Beach has a smaller show as well.
Happy Hunting