cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Tire Problem!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, I replaced my fiver's spare tire with a new Towmaster tire. A few months later, I was at home and heard a loud noise outside. I checked around, and the spare tire had completely ruptured, blew off the tread and split the sidewall. It is a load range "E" tire and I had it inflated to 70psi. It was covered with a white tire cover. I attributed it to just a "bad" tire, even though the temp here in Arizona was about 105 at the time. There was no evidence of sun damage anywhere on the tire. It was replaced under warranty by Discount Tire. It had never been on the ground.

Yesterday, the exact same thing happened again! This tire had a Date Code of 2011 (week 24). Exact same kind of rupture. Now, Discount is telling me to bring the rig in and have all the tires replaced (at no charge). Has anyone ever had a blow out on an unused spare tire that was inflated correctly and protected from sun damage? Especially when it had never been in use.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
32 REPLIES 32

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
The ones on the ground appear to be okay, but the spare has "rapidly decompressed" two times now.

is the camper parked so that the spare is exposed to more direct sunlight than the tires on the ground

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question guys.

I started out with Carlisle tires from the factory.
They cracked along the bead the first year I had them.
Local tire shop recommended Tow Masters.
That was 3 years ago.
I just pulled off all 4 tires to do maintenance on the hubs and all 4 are fine.
No cracks and the tread looks great.
They have about 4,000 miles on them.

I have a fairly light 5th wheel.
Are the Tow Master issues occuring just on heavier trailers or are you seeing this on all their tires.

In another year or so I will have hit the "4-year you should buy new tires" mark.

I hate to replace these prematurely.

What are your thoughts?

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Carlyle and wasn't impressed. I am on my second year with Maxxis and doing ok so far. I would pay what little difference there may be and move up to E rated Maxxis. Also get metal valve stems and a TPMS. That's way cheaper than repairing the damage. JMO
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
OH! He is watching!! He watches all threads about tires. I would be surprised however if he will posted to this thread!! The picture above may look a little to much like his latest tire failure that he blamed on a road hazard.

There have been many reports over the years of tires blowing on spare racks. When you have tires that are as cheaply made as most ST tires, lots of weird things can happen. Many people have reported that they closely inspected each tire in the morning and drove less than 5 miles and had a massive failure.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
That is the EXACT same failure mode I had.

Ya know TJ, I'm starting to think that perhaps these tires are made for indoor use :B
hahaha! I love it!

Where is Fast Eagle?
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Ya know TJ, I'm starting to think that perhaps these tires are made for indoor use :B
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Had a tire blow while in your neck of the woods and ended up in Sierra Vista at Discount Tire. Whenever I lose a tire, all get replaced. Tire that blew was the passenger rear, so I chose the driver front to replace my 7 year old Maxxis as a spare (don't get me started on Maxxis). BTW, I had 15" wheels and these were LRE's.

I was weeks away from switching to LT's when this happened and was ticked I had to buy three new tires to go with the warrantied blow-out. I know I didn't have to replace the others, but chose to because I didn't trust them.

Got home and changed over to Commercial TA's. Put my tires along the side of the house while being advertised on craigslist. Below is a pic of what happened to the spare (26 months old) as it sat.

Also got that replaced under warranty and sold someone 5 new tires with 7 year old wheels for $350.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
TucsonJim wrote:

So now, it appears that Discount is going to replace them with some alternate Chinese tires called "Carlisle".

Oh My :E That's definitely jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I would encourage you to do a search online and on this forum for Carlisle experiences and problems.
If you want to stay with 15 inch tires for cost reasons I would insist on Maxxis and no others whatsoever.

If you upgrade to 16 inch wheels your selection of quality E-rated LT tires is vast and you will be able to sleep well at night and tow with confidence that you will have no further unexplained bouts of "rapid pressure loss".
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The fifth wheel is a 28 foot Keystone Cougar. The original tires were 225-75R15, Load Range D. All four of them were bad when I got it home, and Keystone agreed to replace them all, including the spare. Discount tire sold me the Tow Master tires in load range E. The first set disintegrated due to weather in about 18 months. They were replaced with the same type. The ones on the ground appear to be okay, but the spare has "rapidly decompressed" two times now.

Every 30 days, I check the pressure in the tires and make sure it's maintained at 70-75 psi. I wipe them down with 303 Aerospace, and keep them covered from direct exposure to the sun.

So now, it appears that Discount is going to replace them with some alternate Chinese tires called "Carlisle".

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
No wonder they are called.."Blow-Masters"
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
kedanie wrote:
Oh Boy, get out your popcorn on this one!!!!!

I'll have some hot butter on mine and a big tall cold one to wash it down.:B
This will be fun listening to all the things the OP is doing wrong to have 2 May-pop's let go while sitting there as an inflated spare tire.
You know those ST's only fail because of owner negligence :R

To the OP tell your tire dealer to sell you some quality E-rated LT tires or move up to some G-rated tires. You unfortunately did not provide spec's of your fifthwheel so we can't give you any specific tire recommendations.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
Happens often here in the desert.
Dick OK

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh Boy, get out your popcorn on this one!!!!!
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran