Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon Dunes-beach camping?

HanksLBZ
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
I am planning a week long trip in early November. I am thinking Winchester Bay, Coos Bay or around Florence. I have never been there before but would like to camp in the dunes and ride our quads from camp. Can anyone give me information on which area might be better and where to stay?
Thanks everyone.
06 CHEVY 2500HD Duramax diesel/Allison tranny(with some Xtra power)
04 Attitude T23AK
15 RZR 1000 XP Desert Edition
09 Yamaha YFZ450 (hers)
04 Yamaha YFZ450 (mine)
25 REPLIES 25

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
They started something similar a few years back for youth riders and now it has expanded to ALL riders from what I hear. My son and I did it a couple of years ago (Its long and repetitive if its the same...)and received the card but have never been stopped and asked to show it.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Y-Guy
You can also beach camp in Florence if you actually want to camp out on the dunes. There are designated camping spots just for this at the South Jetty. Be aware some sites end up under water during the winter months due to heavy rain.

You also need to know about the Oregon ATV training courses which are required for ALL ATV riders as of Jan 1 2014. Getting the cards isn't difficult, but you do need to take care of it before you go. We've camped with several people that had to go into Florence at the Library to take the test and print out the certificates or they wouldn't be riding. There are exemptions, "Yes, all non-residents riding in Oregon are required to take the online ATV safety education course and carry an ATV Safety Education Card. They are exempt if they possess another state or country’s ATV Safety Education Card."

www.rideatvoregon.org

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

HanksLBZ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've never had full hookups before so that might be nice but not a big deal if I don't have it. I'll keep you all updated.
06 CHEVY 2500HD Duramax diesel/Allison tranny(with some Xtra power)
04 Attitude T23AK
15 RZR 1000 XP Desert Edition
09 Yamaha YFZ450 (hers)
04 Yamaha YFZ450 (mine)

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
We camp at one of the large group sites at Half Moon Bay campground in Winchester. No hookups but you can ride right out of camp to the dunes which are just across the street.

https://www.co.douglas.or.us/parks/view_park.asp?id=57&features=&cnt=
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Quick_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.duneguide.com they have great info on dunes everywhere.
2015 Renegade Classic Volvo D16
2015 RZR 1000 Magnum Offroad #553
2014 RZR 570 Magnum Offroad #437
2012 RZR 570 Holz #553
2014 Trophy Kart JR-Mod #437
2011 RZR 900 Turbo

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
Mike E wrote:
Jesse Honeyman SP in Florence has full hookup sites that you can directely access the dunes from this time of the year.....the gate is closed during the summer, but they open it up for the 'offseason'

You will want to reserve in the back of the park, I believe it is loop H. They also have full hook-ups in that loop. This is a really nice state park with easy access to the dunes.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mike E. wrote:
Jesse Honeyman SP in Florence has full hookup sites that you can directely access the dunes from this time of the year
Great park.

Good advice. This is where I would go as a "first time" dune visitor on the Oregon Coast.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winchester bay RV or Salmon Harbor is off limits to riding. However there is a place right aceoss the road that the off roaders go. Plus just down the road there is another private park that is closest to the dunes. There are also NF parks like Spin Reel that have direct access to the dunes.

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jesse Honeyman SP in Florence has full hookup sites that you can directely access the dunes from this time of the year.....the gate is closed during the summer, but they open it up for the 'offseason'.
Great park.

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Riley Ranch County Park is about 7 mi N of NorthBend. Its not a bad place at all. Only water and elec. $25. Horsfall is just across the bridge and its like parking in wallyworld, but no h/ups. Lots or dune canpgrounds but a long way to drag your trlr out there. Only 2 places ive stayed. I would do Riley Ranch again.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
HanksLBZ wrote:
Hello all,
I am planning a week long trip in early November. I am thinking Winchester Bay, Coos Bay or around Florence. I have never been there before but would like to camp in the dunes and ride our quads from camp. Can anyone give me information on which area might be better and where to stay?
Thanks everyone.

Winchester Bay has a nice large private full service RV Park but is a little pricey. Across the street is 2 county parks which adequate but not all sites are full hook ups but cheaper in price. I have seen RVers go right out to dunes areas and park their RVs there. These sites are about 1/2 mile down the road. I think you have to be self contained in the dunes areas.
There is also RV parking in the boat harbor on black top areas but no hook ups but price is relatively lower than the private RV park. Personally I like the Private park even with the higher price because there are sites where you back your RV right next to the ocean.