cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack a Mini Cooper in a Toy Hauler?

natalie_lewis
Explorer
Explorer
We're wanting to take our Mini with us as we road trip across America with our kids. Since the hubby will be working and using the truck, the kids and I need a car to zip around and explore. We don't want to add length to the rig so thought we'd just stick it in the toy hauler garage. Looking at the Voltage 3800. I know there's concern about the angle of the garage lift gate and low center. Has anyone actually taken a car in this manner?
Natalie Lewis
Home School mom, wife, believer
16 REPLIES 16

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
How about a classic mini. My wifes 1969 Mini weights in under 2000 pounds with a driver and full tank of gas 6ft wide and can't quite remember how long.
2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.7L
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Some THs max garage weight is 2500-3000 lbs.....My ramp max is 3000 lbs and no more than 1000 lb at each wheel. Work & plays would be the best toyhaulers to do it but others will work.......

h2guy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd make sure the trlr was hitched to assure the front won't get airborne when loading.
Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver

clydengail
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Mini Cooper Hatchback
WIDTH 5 ft. 6.3 in. (66.3 in.) HEIGHT4 ft. 7.4 in. (55.4 in.)
LENGTH 12 ft. 2.6 in. (146.6 in.) Curb Weight - 2535lbs. From Edmunds..

Looking at Voltage specs Mini is too long for 3800, but looks like it would work in a 3818 (18 foot garage and total length 44ft!)
TV - 2007.5 GMC Duramax 4x4 Ext Cab
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
rattleNsmoke wrote:
Best check the weight of that smart car. They can get pretty hefty for their size. Your trailer has to be up to the task as the OP stated.
Mike

I hear ya, but in this case the capacity was just short of 3000 pounds and the smart comes in at just under 1800.

I think the Cooper's are heavier.

I do too. Somewhere around that 2550 depending on model. They are also closer to 12 feet I think.

Ramp weight limits need to be taken into consideration as well. The one we had at the show had a 3000 pound sticker on the door.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camped next to a bumper pull toyhauler in TX that was hauling a Mini in the garage. He was pulling with a Toyota pickup. Didn't talk to him as we were only in there a night or two. Didn't look like something I wanted to do...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
With the right TH it is more than possible. I met a guy when I used to race my Corvette at Willow Springs Raceway in California who carried his Viper in his TH!!! Unfortunately this was about 4 years or so ago and I have no idea what brand the TH was but it was a gorgeous high-end TH. TV, TH and Viper were all color matched. He and his wife lived in Arizona, were retired and traveled all over enjoying their Viper on racetracks all over the country. I've always wanted to find a TH and do the same thing.

Anyway, long winded but it is obviously very possible if you can find the correct trailer.
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
rattleNsmoke wrote:
Best check the weight of that smart car. They can get pretty hefty for their size. Your trailer has to be up to the task as the OP stated.
Mike

I hear ya, but in this case the capacity was just short of 3000 pounds and the smart comes in at just under 1800.

I think the Cooper's are heavier.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
rattleNsmoke wrote:
Mike

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
This would do better over in the Tow Hauler section. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
instead of a car take a couple moto bikes. better millage then a car, far easer parking than a car, lighter weight than a car,
with a blue tooth deal you can talk back and forth about the sights.

and the best part is how much better most any rd is on a bike.

not wanting a "bike" how about a trike?

Unfortunately, the op has kids and motor bikes aren't easily setup for kids.

natalie lewis wrote:
with our kids
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
instead of a car take a couple moto bikes. better millage then a car, far easer parking than a car, lighter weight than a car,
with a blue tooth deal you can talk back and forth about the sights.

and the best part is how much better most any rd is on a bike.

not wanting a "bike" how about a trike?

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
No sweat. I put our smart car in one of the toy haulers we had set up at sturgis north.