cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting the Garage?

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last 10 years, the garage (white in color) has developed numerous scratches, etc. I would like to paint it with something durable (or not) and just wondering if anyone has done this and their recommendations for type of paint or other product.

Thanks,

Brendan
13 REPLIES 13

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
I have painted in our TH, right over the wallpaper. Actually turned out great, I did not use any special primer, just quality paint. I did a 2-tone with a chair rail in our large slide out (sand color with a light blue) and the DW likes it so much she wants the entire coach done now. It has held up perfect with a 2 year old and a 12 year old full timing for about 6 months now. You can patch holes in the luan with plasti-wood filler and sand a bit before painting.

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
Wifeee says its not white paint but wallpaper.

Y-Guy
bkirkpatrick wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
When I had our Raptor...
That was like 10 years ago brother. I actually thought about doing the same thing. Running the Diamond plate up high after I painted.

Yeah it's been 10 years since we bought it.

I did put some up on the front of the garage, but of an oops with the wall and my son's ATV. I wouldn't paint under the diamond plate, instead scuff it up and use some liquid nails to adhere it to the wall and a few screws into the aluminum studs. Once the LN sets its pretty solid. I saw my Raptor about 5 years ago, still had the diamond plate in the same spot.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
Copy that. We have a metal shop close by that sells it.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
When I had our Raptor...
That was like 10 years ago brother. I actually thought about doing the same thing. Running the Diamond plate up high after I painted.

They make some inexpensive and light weight diamond plate that is stamped and polished that most of the manufacturer's use. "Real" aluminum diamond plate is pretty thick and heavy.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
When I had our Raptor...

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
Walls.

O ok, well i suppose you can paint it with a quality paint, no big prep outside of maybe washing the walls first.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Y-Guy
When I had our Raptor my thought/plan was to put up diamond plate around the bottom 2-3" to protect the walls and the seems. Then you could sand and prime the walls above that and paint how you like.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean the floor or the walls?
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Bed liner would be great but it you don't want to spend the $$ and effort my next suggestion would be one of the deck paint options....remember it is all about the prep.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Bedlam
Perhaps one of the lighter colored bed liner sprays? I would check with a local Line-X shop.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
First you need to prime the surface with something like Kilz. Then paint using your favorite brand and color.