cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paperwork

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I always have the registration and insurance card with me for the fifth wheel. What other paperwork do you carry with you, if any? I was watching you tube and a Indiana State trooper did a safety inspection and mentioned he needed a log book as well as a certificate of origin.
I never heard of needing either of those.

Also the wife and I are talking about heading out to Yellowstone this year. What fuel card is good along I90?
31 REPLIES 31

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I got stopped in Jan in MD and got a warning ticket for the following
Couldn't find registration (found it before we moved
Handicap permit hanging on rear view mirror
no front tag (not required in NC)
Speeding 45 in a 35
no proof of insurance

Now that is what I call a "shake down."

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Was never stopped in 8 years of full timing my guess is Cops have way more important things to do than pull over some old dude in a RV unless something is wrong or you were speeding YEAH RIGHT.. IF that ever happened I have my papers in the RV somewhere.....I think:B
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you travel with a K-9, have a Rabies vaccine certificate.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
In addition to the required paperwork I carry a complete list of all of our doctors'names, addresses and phone numbers, medications, medical history, and emergency contact information. This is all on a typed sheet, laminated or put into a plastic sheet holder, and taped or put into a cabinet in the trailer and a copy in the glove compartment of the truck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
I left and immediatly went to the local police station and filed a complaint. I never heard back from the Police dept. about my complaint. Thank you Sheriff Arpaio in Maricopa county

Of course, the fox is guarding the hen house.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
This must be the video?

Wave transport company YouTube video

This video is on the Wave commercial transport YouTube channel. The officer identifies himself as a commercial enforcement officer. This isn't a stop on a family out on vacation.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
I always have the registration and insurance card with me for the fifth wheel. What other paperwork do you carry with you, if any? I was watching you tube and a Indiana State trooper did a safety inspection and mentioned he needed a log book as well as a certificate of origin.
I never heard of needing either of those.

Also the wife and I are talking about heading out to Yellowstone this year. What fuel card is good along I90?

I always carry the original bill of sale for my truck and 5th wheel. I was pulled over once in Ariz. by a local cop in a residential neighborhood who wanted to see Registration, insurance card and bill of sale. He said he wanted to run my registration card through their computer system to see if the truck was stolen. The paper registration was taped on the rear window as required by the state of Calif. as I had just bought the truck a week before. My caucasian wife was in the truck with me. I am an Apachie Indian. I asked him why he pulled me over since I had not violated any laws? He said it seemed strange that an "Apache Indian" would own a brand new Dodge truck and be driving in a nice residential neighborhood. I was a high school Principal for the last 20 yrs. in Calif. I left and immediatly went to the local police station and filed a complaint. I never heard back from the Police dept. about my complaint. Thank you Sheriff Arpaio in Maricopa county (:(:(:(:

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got stopped in Jan in MD and got a warning ticket for the following
Couldn't find registration (found it before we moved
Handicap permit hanging on rear view mirror
no front tag (not required in NC)
Speeding 45 in a 35
no proof of insurance

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
It looked like the inspector had stopped a family. This was in a parking area and was done with a good video crew. One thing I did think was funny, the driver handed the paperwork to the trooper on a clip board. looked like a woman handed the driver the clipboard. We keep a record of dog shots with us when we travel.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I carry the title in case I want to get rid of it or an accident forces the issue.

I don't do fuel cards, MasterCard gets me the best deal and I can fuel at reasonably priced stations.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on how long you'll be traveling you may want to have copies of your birth and marriage certificates. Passports too
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
As to the question about fuel card, best is just a VISA or Mastercard. My bank gives a 3% kick back on fuel. Using a credit card and not a gas company type card allows you to get the best price for fuel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
License and reg about all you need for vehicle. May want proof you own RV. Pet vaccination records.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Non-commercial, don't need log book.
Vehicle or parts under warranty? (Tires? Battery?) Good to have proof.
I always keep a copy of shot records for dog in truck. For some time we may need to carry shot records for ourselves.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Was the inspector stopping a private citizen pulling his own recreational RV or a commercial hauler transporting a 5th wheel travel trailer for hire?

That's what it sounds like, the RV was being shipped from the factory to a dealer.