cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Payment of new Camper ordered

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you that bought new campers paid for it up front minus trade once the camper is built before you pick it up. Is that normal.
23 REPLIES 23

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
Never paid up front - Car, RV, even a House.
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
I put $5,000 down. A month or so later my dealer called on a Sunday afternoon asking or another $20k- I politely declined. I went to my PDI and paper signing with a cashiers check.

However, I have heard of the situation where high volume dealers do want payment ahead of time. In each case, nothing bad has happened- just seems weird to me. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with it.

They may ask, but all they will is a deposit until the unit is delivers and a has passed PDI! They will jump to fix items to get the dollars in the bank.
Real good dealers will not ask.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input at this point I am not sure what I will do

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I put $5,000 down. A month or so later my dealer called on a Sunday afternoon asking or another $20k- I politely declined. I went to my PDI and paper signing with a cashiers check.

However, I have heard of the situation where high volume dealers do want payment ahead of time. In each case, nothing bad has happened- just seems weird to me. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
I sent you a private message, but we bought our RV from a wholesaler and paid the entire amount up front. Actually we did this on the last TWO we purchased. No problems at all. Highlife4me1 is corrent that this is common when purchasing from a wholesaler. We feel we saved about $8,000 over the price we got from any dealer and were even able to have some items custom built dealing directly with the factory.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The last TT I bought new was a factory order and I only put down a $200 deposit until it arrived and I inspected it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never made a deposit on either new camper we've purchased. However several family members have done business with the same small, local company and there's an established level of trust. Matter of fact, we've done all PDI's at our seasonal site at the campground after delivery. I never even saw our current camper until it was delivered to our site. Financing was finalized after that, all online. These wonderful folks will do repairs and warranty work on site too. I guess loyalty has it's advantages.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered 3 new - down payment of about 5% only ever!

In one case we were financing part of it and the bank would NEVER make payment until they would have paperwork within 3 days.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Deposit only, pay balance after inspection. If the dealer doesn't agree go somewhere else.
HR

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Deposit only; the more you owe at time of delivery, the more control you retain until you take posession
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

I believe we paid around $500.00 ?? I would NOT pay in full till after the PDI is completed and all is fine..... No way...no how...Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
IllinoisCheesehead wrote:
My dealer asked for $2k deposit before ordering.

Deposit is normal, payment in full before delivery is NOT.

That takes away all you dealing power on issues, the dealer has your money, he could care less.

At least they can!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

highlife4me1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are purchasing from a RV wholesaler like RV Direct it is common to pay for the trailer before delivery. They aren't really a dealer and don't have the staff like a regular dealer would so they don't want to get stuck with a trailer if a buyer were to back out at the last minute. I bought my 5th wheel through them and have not had any complaints at all. I saved about $5000 vs. buying from a dealer. Oh and by the way I have had not had any problems with service or warranty work through my local dealer like others assume. I would buy from them again.
2006 F150 SCrew
2012 Jayco 23.5RBS

IllinoisCheeseh
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer asked for $2k deposit before ordering.
2012 Keystone Outback 298RE (Soon to be traded)
2014 Columbus 365RL (On order)
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie, CCLB, DRW, 6.7 CTD/Aisin
Equal-i-zer WDH
B&W Companion RVK3600