cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pickup bed step

N6761U
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of step do you use to access the front of you pickup bed and to hook up your 5th wheel
35 REPLIES 35

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Amp bed steps for my work truck and I do have a few reservations about them. While they are nice to have I think the rear step under the corner of the bumper comes down too much. The difference between the first step and the bumper corner or tailgate is a huge difference. The bed step2 is almost useless in a dually application. Sure, I can get into the tool box, but accessing the bed for parts or hooking up the goose neck trailer is out of the question as the step mounts too far forward. Too bad too cause they got some good ideas. Just a little too generic for every truck. It needs to be designed for the dually and somehow mounted farther back for better access to the bed. On a short bed it may work better though.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
AMP Research BedStep

I checked those out when looking for steps and they scared the cr^p out of me. I could see me catching my foot on the tailgate cable.

I use the Bully sidestep when hooked to the fiver.

Access thru or over the V gate when unhooked.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several manufacturers that make a wheel to wheel step bar. It extends almost to the rear tire so you can stand there and reach the hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
I have wheel to wheel bed steps. Work well for accessing the hitch to latch.

Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
N6761U wrote:
What kind of step do you use to access the front of you pickup bed and to hook up your 5th wheel
None. I don't have one of those high 4X4's, or a dually.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
N6761U wrote:

None.

But, if one was needed how about a heavy-duty step stool?..:@

~

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
None.
HR

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on bed step

newk
Explorer
Explorer
oweninthekeys wrote:
I have a plastic two-step that works nicely for that purpose.

X2

I originally bought it for my old TC in the early 90s. I also use it for washing the windshield, windows on the camper, etc. I once left it at a service station after cleaning the windshield. I discovered it was missing several hundred miles later. Stopped at the same service station a few days later on the return trip and picked it up. It's ugly, so nobody would want it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
We use this from Bully: Side step
One on each side of the truck. Works great.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a stool that I keep in the back of my truck-been there more than 10 years.Useful for checking the engine conpartment also.

Hazema
Explorer
Explorer
I use my tip toes.
2014 Dodge 3500 Cummins
Jayco Eagle 331 RETS

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a tire step for years. Works great. Camping World stocks them.

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on bedstep
Use plastic 2-step stepstool also