cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pilot/flying J/loves etc...what lanes do you use?

jsrore
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

getting ready to go on our first major 2 week vacation to Moab and Zion with the Ram 3500 and 40' Montana.
we have done over half dozen trips in Oregon.
still new to the 5th wheel/diesel truck part, not new to RV had a 35' class A and toad.

my question is what lanes do you use at the truck stops?
the normal lanes or the trucker lanes and how do the truck lanes work?
i plan out my gas stops ahead of time with several apps i find google maps to be helpful to get a quick look.

thanks

Jeff
2016 Montana 3790RD
2015 Ram 3500 Larmie
1998 BlueWater 18',fish/ski Boat
1 DW, 3 Dogs,
United States Navy 10yrs
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of ALL who Threaten It!
Nothing but the good life,cool breeze plenty of Beer!
33 REPLIES 33

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
A little hard to do when they block you in at the pump while they go inside to buy a 96 oz slurpee.

gmc851
Explorer
Explorer
Try to remember they are on the clock and you are on VACATION. Get in get out.
I could be wrong, your mileage may vary :?
Doug & Jan
06 2500HD 6.6L D/A SB 28/33 Titanium :B

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my Titan Tank tank today. Will be here in 1 week and installed a day after that. Will see you all on the road but not at Loves and Flying J.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Here's another example from current (9-6-16; ~9AM) AZ diesel prices off Gas Buddy.

From PHX:
Love's at 83rd Ave., S of I-10: $2.34
Shell, with truck pumps at 51st Ave., S of I-10: $2.01.

From Yuma:
Love's at Ave. 3E, S of I-8: $2.49.
Baron Fuel on 16th St./Hwy 95 about 3/4 mile E of I-8: $2.08.
41 cents per gallon difference. Why would I =not= give Baron my business?

Even with discounts from Good Sam's, Love's CC, etc., I can virtually guarantee you you're not going to make up that kind of difference, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We use the truck lanes, and the RV Plus Card. It starts the pump - no need to go in. We get in, fuel and DEF, and get out.

Lifetime GS members get $0.08 off of the CASH price for each gallon of diesel. The pumps start out showing the credit price, while the cash price is usually shown on the sign out front.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
eb145 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Those that use the Pilot/FlyingJ card what percentage or cents per gallon do you get off? I get 4 percent with my Visa/Costco card.

It looks like the Pilot Flying J RV Plus card is 6 cents off the cash price of diesel, so about 12 cents per gallon I guess. https://www.rvpluscard.com/

With my Costco Visa card my net price would be $3.36 per gallon. Can you use the RV card at the truck lane pumps?

Here’s an example
Posted Diesel Credit Price . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.50/gal
Cash Price . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.44/gal
Good Sam Member Discount . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $0.06/gal
Your Price . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.38/gal
That’s a savings of $.12 per gallon off the credit price!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
minnow wrote:
After this past week using truck lanes twice and getting blocked in by the "professional" truck drivers, I'm getting a aftermarket mid ship replacement tank installed so I won't have to worry about fueling up while towing. As a side be benefit, I will be choosy as to where I buy diesel. Loves, pilot and flying j seem to be 35-60 cents more per gallon than non truck stop diesel stations. I'm done being taken advantage of.

I agree. The truck stops are usually =much= higher, at least out here in the West, so I use Gas Buddy to find cheaper fuel. Biggest issue that I have is, if I try and use a "truck lane", the d@mn fuel nozzle is too fat to fit all the way into the filler neck of my truck. I have to sit there and babysit it, usually only at half-rate, to keep it from falling out or shutting off. Given that you can find much cheaper fuel if you go 1/2 or a mile off an interstate, it's worth saving $4-5 per tank, IMO. Now, I =have= used a truck stop on occasion, but that was when there was literally no option available. I also carry at least one 7 gal can with me and use Gas Buddy to see what fuel prices are along my route. That allows me to skip a town with higher prices for one a bit beyond my normal range for lower prices.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
It won't help for this trip, but the recommendation by minnow is a good one. With my 60 gal. aux tank I rarely need to fuel up while connected to the rig. I usually try to find a Walmart or something similar for cheaper fuel plus no hassle from rig being hooked up. In the rare instance where I'm connected I use the FJ RV plus card.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the truck lanes. Wife goes in and pre pays - shops etc. I finish and pull ahead. She cashes out - pretty simple. I've only had trouble in Cali in weed and another stop further south where the truckers get very aggressive in the lots with how they drive. Guessing they don't like RV folks.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I use the up front lanes if they have diesel fuel and an easy way in and out. Other wise I use the truck lanes and have never been given any flack by anyone. If I have to make a couple of trips inside I have problem with that. I usually need to move anyway. We used the up front lanes at a Loves station once and had to wait for ever for the person in front of me to finish thier goofing off inside and to move on. Not again if I can help it.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
lak356 wrote:
I am one of those professional drivers you're talking about and when I go on vacation I use the dedicated RV lanes. and if one isnot available I will use the truck lane as quickly as possible. we are not on vacation we are limited to the amount of hours we have to drive everyday. same goes for rest stops are not set up for overnight camping. let's all try to be courteous to each other with no name calling.

Being courteous is a 2 way street in my book. When a "professional" truck driver is done fuelling and pulls away from the pump 15 feet thus blocking anyone else from leaving and then disappears inside the building for 30 minutes is far from being courteous.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Those that use the Pilot/FlyingJ card what percentage or cents per gallon do you get off? I get 4 percent with my Visa/Costco card.

It looks like the Pilot Flying J RV Plus card is 6 cents off the cash price of diesel, so about 12 cents per gallon I guess. https://www.rvpluscard.com/

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We use flying J at the rv area. The worst fuel experiences have been at FJ's because of rude car or rv owners. I had to stop using FJ after they told me I drove off without paying. How using a credit card can you drive off without paying. Finally after the GM credit company changed to capital one I can buy again. convenience not cost works best for us.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
When going inside be sure to tell the attendant you are RV NOT trucker.

Those that use the Pilot/FlyingJ card what percentage or cents per gallon do you get off? I get 4 percent with my Visa/Costco card. Bottom line the wife always needs to use the facilities so going inside is a necessity for her and she LOVES to shop!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD