cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable electric heaters

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious to see what are the safest and most popular electric heaters you all use? Going camping soon and want to augment the propane heater in the evenings.
Thanks in advance.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
31 REPLIES 31

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We always winter in our trailer. Most of the time in Florida and the nights do get cool to cold sometimes. We just shut the bedroom door and use a regular electric heater with fan and stat. Normally this lasts for 4 or 5 years before the fan wears out. Works great for such a small area. DW gets up first to first to turn on coffee and either the fireplace or the furnace. Works for us for the last 12 years.
Oh yeah it helps a lot to have a trailer that is designed for heat and cold, Jayco has a nice insulation package.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also use the oil filled heaters, unlike all the others, they put out a steady flow of heat even as the heating element cycles on and off. Just more compatiable with the constant heat loss in an RV. I also use separate thermostats at the wall plug since the premeter of the RV is also the coldest.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Ceramic heater preferably with a "tip over switch". Read the labels carefully to see if the heater has a tip over switch.

Rv's are small and these units are usually placed on the floor where it easily can be knocked over.

Which finding one with a safety 'tip over switch' is becoming harder and harder to find since UL caved in and changed the laws and says they are no longer mandatory because lobbyist says its too costly for the manufacturers. :R

I digress IMHO buy a heater with a tip over switch. It tips over and it shuts off immediately.

The new safety functions.....when the heater tips over it will only shut off when it touches something and catches fire to raise the temp level high enough to shut off. A little too late for me.

Off my safety alert soap box. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I'll second the recommendation for the Vornado.
We have been using a Vornado electric heater for the past several years. It circulates the heat very well with a large, quiet fan, and has a thermostat and adjustable heat output. We have been very pleased with its' performance during temps down to as low as the high 30's in our 30ft trailer. You can barely hear the fan running when it is on high position.
Barney

X2

Vorando comes in several different models, but that is the one we have been using and are well pleased with. ๐Ÿ™‚

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll second the recommendation for the Vornado.
We have been using a Vornado electric heater for the past several years. It circulates the heat very well with a large, quiet fan, and has a thermostat and adjustable heat output. We have been very pleased with its' performance during temps down to as low as the high 30's in our 30ft trailer. You can barely hear the fan running when it is on high position.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
Vornado: one standard, one infrared, maintains temp in whole coach, avoiding the use of the furnace as supplemental. Several safety features for tip over, over heat, heat of housing, etc.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
We use a small cube style heater from Walmart. Adjustable thermostat (no numbers, just a dial from low to high) and 2 fan speeds. Very quiet fan. Works great in a 25' trailer. We've camped down to mid-20s and never needed the furnace.

Same here but maybe sometimes we use 2, have them in the kitchen, one pointing towards the front and one pointing towards the back. I put the thermostat on the furnace on as well for a backup but so far it has never come on.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the small cubes. We keep one in the bedroom and the other in the living room. They keep the camper at a comfy setting during the day, without needing the furnace. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The oil filled do a nice job. But, the little ceramic cubes take up less space and do a good job..

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a small electric rotating portabe when our furnace started giving me grief on the road,it works well as long as shore power is available and is quieter than the furnace.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Another volt for oil filled.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Dyson on sale. Love it
Also doubles as a fan as the temp is adjustable

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a small cube style heater from Walmart. Adjustable thermostat (no numbers, just a dial from low to high) and 2 fan speeds. Very quiet fan. Works great in a 25' trailer. We've camped down to mid-20s and never needed the furnace.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
i like the convection type quiet and put off alot of heat

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
the oil filled ones are very nice since they are quiet but they take a long time to get heated up. the small ceramic are also nice, they do a great job keeping the cold out