cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Protection..Why So Few Have If Really Needed?

fairhaven
Explorer
Explorer
For the past month I've been paying particular attention when I walk through camp grounds (both private & state parks) to see how many actually have power protection (not just a surge protector) for their rv. We camped 23 nights in June (5 different parks) and I only saw 7 protectors plugged into the power pedestal. These were all on large fifth wheel rvs. I talked with probably 1/2 of the owners and with the exception of the before mentioned 7 and motor coaches (which all had hard wired units) the owners didn't see the need for that kind of protection. So, 5 parks, 173 owners talked to, and only 7 with power protection that would take care of low voltage issue. Am I missing something on all the hype about needing this kind of power protection?
2014 Palomino Columbus 365RL,2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box, Aisin Transmission
Myself(Bob) Retired (25 Years USAF)
Tami(Wife/Retired 25 Years USAF)
Ashley-13(Daughter)
Nick-10(Our rotty)
76 REPLIES 76

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I never read the owners manual very closely but I did discover something the other day. Normally when we connect I have my wife watch the remote panel on my hardwired EMS 50 unit so if there are problems I can cut the power. We reversed the procedure on the last stop and I watched the panel. I then discovered that the unit went thru all of it's checks, displayed the voltage, current, and HZ on each leg. It then showed E-0 (zero errors) and then applied power to the RV.

I wasn't aware it did all the steps in that sequence before ever applying power to the RV. That makes it even better. I know some have said they bought the portable unit so they can check the voltage etc. before plugging in the RV but the way the EMS50 works makes that unnecessary.

On our current 30 day and 3500 mi trip (so far) it has tripped 3 times. Twice for low voltage at a state park and once for a bad ground.

All 3 times were very temporary (seconds) and probably just a glitch in the power grid but I did feel better about it knowing it was working.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
crcr wrote:
gdweb wrote:
progressive industries ems models can be had online with free shipping. the hardwired and portable 30 runs $219. the hardwire 50 $289. the portable 50 $309. we use the portable emspt50c. progressive also has a lifetime warranty on their units

Re the price for the PI 30 amp portable, $219 ... well, sort of... Camping World has it for 219.99 right now for internet sales, but with sales tax and shipping, you're right about $247 delivered, which is the same price I can get it from Amazon delivered, and I get a 4% Amazon store card rebate there.

If anyone knows where to find that model for less money than that, I would love to know the source.

Go to http://www.progressiveindustries.net/wheretobuy.htm and they list 2 dealers. I used Lawrence and was well pleased (I had it in 3 days). The 30A Portable is $219 with free shipping. No tax.

The names are confusing but only PI has a lifetime warranty and 24hr tech support.

Great! Thank you for that! I just bought one from Lawrence.

trustymopars
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there is a by-pass switch on the display unit. JT.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500QC CTD SRW
2015 Montana 3611RL Progressive 50W
Husky 16 K Slider

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way to bypass with the 50 amp hardwired unit?

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
gdweb wrote:
progressive industries ems models can be had online with free shipping. the hardwired and portable 30 runs $219. the hardwire 50 $289. the portable 50 $309. we use the portable emspt50c. progressive also has a lifetime warranty on their units

Re the price for the PI 30 amp portable, $219 ... well, sort of... Camping World has it for 219.99 right now for internet sales, but with sales tax and shipping, you're right about $247 delivered, which is the same price I can get it from Amazon delivered, and I get a 4% Amazon store card rebate there.

If anyone knows where to find that model for less money than that, I would love to know the source.

Go to http://www.progressiveindustries.net/wheretobuy.htm and they list 2 dealers. I used Lawrence and was well pleased (I had it in 3 days). The 30A Portable is $219 with free shipping. No tax.

The names are confusing but only PI has a lifetime warranty and 24hr tech support.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
jjj wrote:
Can you use the 50 amp portable on 30 amps with a adapter with no ill effects. I would like the 50 amp one but I use 30 amp at a campgroud we use fairly often.

Yes, plug it onto the end of your 50 amp cord, then your adapter and plug the adapter into the post.

I have the PI 50 amp installed and use the 50-30 amp adapter often when we only have 30 amp power available.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
gdweb wrote:

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Can you use the 50 amp portable on 30 amps with a adapter with no ill effects. I would like the 50 amp one but I use 30 amp at a campgroud we use fairly often.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Temp is over 90 right now. The CG is full & the Progressive 50amp protection is inline. Also have a voltmeter plugged in inside.

You won't know what is going on unless you have something to tell you.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 50A progressive industries hard wired unit in our 2014 8289WS. Had it shipped for less than $300.00, took about an hour to install. We have about 3000 miles of towing, camped in several different parks. So far so good no power trouble yet but it's nice to know the protection is there if needed. Had the 30A in our previous 5r, it tripped off several times in over three years and about 20K miles.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Desert Captain! I'll look into that one.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
davosfam wrote:
We are looking at getting one of these for our new 5er. Does the power come back on automatically once the voltage comes back up? We have our 5er on a lot and keep things in the fridge. Would hate to get there and discover that the power had been off for a long time.

The Progressive Industries EMS have a 128 second delay from the time you plug it in until power flows through to your rig. This delay also kicks in whenever the EMS trips off and then comes back on when the power returns to acceptable voltage. As long as the power is restored to acceptable levels the PI will restore power to your rig and is automatically reset in anticipation of any future problems.

:C

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at getting one of these for our new 5er. Does the power come back on automatically once the voltage comes back up? We have our 5er on a lot and keep things in the fridge. Would hate to get there and discover that the power had been off for a long time.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax