Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with battery. Experience guy needed

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, (problem solved go the last thread)

As you know i am new to RV
My toy hauler came with a cumins 5500w generator.

On our past two dry camping adventure we experienced dead battery.

We only use the batteries for light, water pump and furnace fan.
I am not surprised to use all the batteries with furnace pump and light but i am surprised that a 3 hour drive (hookup to the TV) and then 2 hours run of generator is not enough to recharge the batteries.

My dealer is telling me that those deep cycle batteries needed at least 24 hours hookup to recharge the batteries

I don t get it?

Also if i buy a solar panels kit is a 100W kit enough?

Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I use in my rig: http://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Voltage-Digital-Voltmeter/dp/B0092KVYGI
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries are
650A @ 0degF
810A @ 32degF
23A AVE 175min

The converter is a progressive dynamics inteli power PD9280
13.6 V 80A

I also have a progresive dynamics auto transfer relay swith PD52

Hope this help

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess that your convertor is behind a removable panel in the front, side bay. It is more than likely a WFCO, which is a poor convertor. Go to a Progressive Dynamics PD80 or similar. Will do a MUCH better, and faster, charge job. Some solar for storage will be very helpful.

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the led this is what i am thinking to buy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSG3AIE/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1WNBZLIQ5L2GL

FYI i chose natural white as this is what we have in our house as we do not like the warm white color

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all

Thanks for all those info and here are some answer and more question:
My rig is a cyclone 3712 and has two batteries
Don t know where is dam inverter? But it is not with the generator and the batteries
It is too dark now and i ll do it tomorrow

But after reading all those answer it make sense now that i need to change things.
First as sone suggest i will switch the bulb for led.

As far as solar i think it is a good idea since the rig is in storage and i have no access to power. The led will help reduce consumption and the solar will help keeping the battery charged.
Sorry but i hate to hear the generator running.
Yes i have a battery disconnect and in the future i will

Disconnect the battery when in storage
Bring the rv at home and plug it for 24h before leaving
But the solar panel may solve those issues

What do you think about this kit

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Panel-Bundle-100W-Monocrystalline/dp/B00B8L6EFA/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403327865&sr=1-2&keywords=100+w+solar+kit

It is expandable
How do you attache the panel on your roof?
Will they handle 120 mph wind? Considering my speed plus a head wind or crossing a truck on 2 lanes road?
How do you run the cable from the roof to the battery compartment?
Do i have to start removing panels inside the bedroom?

Thanks

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
When you store your RV do you turn the battery disconnect off?

Exactly. If the batteries are not disconnected while the RV is stored, expect for them to be completely discharged within 1-2 weeks at best. This type of activity is also not good for the life of the batteries.

Best solution is to have an independent 4-step charger while storing the RV to maintain the health and charge of your batteries. I actually do both the battery disconnect from the RV and use a charger to maintain the batteries to know they are 100% charged before heading out.
I love me some land yachting

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
couple things
check the capacity of your battery and the output of the charger; that will give you an idea of charge times

- the onboard charger maybe puts out maybe 20amps; that'd be pretty generous
- are you sure your rv will charge off your tow vehicle; my last 5er wouldn't but the tow vehicle could be used to run limited 12 volt 'stuff' in the 5er
- charging batteries takes a long time; a couple hours isn't much

example(lets say you have a 50 c/10 battery, so 50hrs at 10amp discharge). If its at 50% and you are putting 10amps into it it'll take 25hrs to recharge it.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a couple of these on hand to measure and test:

Clicky

This is a good source of rv electrical system info and dc info:

Clicky

Our current 5th wheel is our first rv with an on board generator, which to my surprise, uses the dead house batteries to start :h, and doesn't have a rope starter...

So I added a dedicated starting battery maintained by one of these:

Clicky

Which I learned about by asking a question here on rv.net.

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of variables there.
1. The TV will put out 20 amps at best, by the time it gets to the camper it may be down to 10 amps. You would have to drive for 20 hours to charge up a dead battery.
2. Furnace fans pull a lot. On my TH 15-25 degree camping will pull 2 group 24 DC batteries substantially. (Barley starts the gen in the morning.)
3. Like others posted you need to know what your charger is rated for. It's just some math after that.
4. Get you battery tested. 4-5 years is max for most flooded batteries.
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you store your RV do you turn the battery disconnect off?

RVWithTito
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect your battery(s) weren't fully charged to begin with. You can't rely on the bar gauge on your panel for an accurate measure. Also, many stock converter/chargers do not charge at the manufacturer recommended level (between 14.2 and 14.6 volts). So running your generator for 2 to 4 hours with these stock chargers (which charge at 13.7 volts) won't come close to fully charging your batteries. If this is the case, there are upgraded converter/chargers that provide multi-stage charging capability. I upgraded mine for around $130.

The decision to invest in solar really depends on how you plan to use your RV (i.e. Stay in campgrounds, boondock, ?). Nevertheless, the rule of thumb for solar I like to follow is to roughly match the solar output (in watts) to the amp hour capacity of your battery bank. So if you have 220 amp hours of battery capacity, then 200-250 watts of solar is a good match. Of course there are several components in a solar charging system that can make or break your efficiency, but that's a good place to start in my opinion. Many folks start out with a 100W portable system that can be hooked in when needed.
2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

RV Solar, Towing, DIY and Tips on my website RVwithTito.com
Watch My Video Tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How many batteries do you have?
What converter model number?
Have you ever measured actual charging voltage?

Battery should charge from 40% to 90% if the charging system is working as expected.

Probably need 200 to 400 watts of solar if you want to get away from generator charging.
LED lighting would also be a huge help.

Forum Members Solar Installations With Pics

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Need more info..

1. How many battery's you have?
2. Whats the make model or amp hours of battery
3. What make model charge controller in the camper?

Start there. we can help..

TV only really maintains battery's..

If you have a good charger the battery's should charge in 4 hours or so...

Need to run gen everyday. 4 hours or so..

A better charger and more battery's will help...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh