cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Proper kingpin height for hitching

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for any tricks for getting the upper coupler plate the right height for hitching up. Currently doing it by myself I eyeball it after dropping the tailgate, back in some then get out of the truck when I think I'm close and readjust. Not rocket science, but any way I can save getting out and rechecking would be appreciated.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
36 REPLIES 36

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
I use the Level + by Hoppy. You adjust the smaller level to level before you unhitch. Then when you go to hitch back up just raise or lower the 5th wheel till the level reads level again. Super simple. Here is a pic of one.

I use something similar to this but I like this better!!
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow!!!! :S

Four pages of correct height for pin box to Hitch, this thread likely has all the TT folks Rolling on the Floor laughing:B

I never knew hooking up my 5er was so difficult!!! It isn't Rocket Science and based on some replies several of you are flirting with High Hitching!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lowfly
Explorer
Explorer
Lakeside!!! great cheap idea. You are toooo clever. Thanks.
Grand Designs 33' Relection, Ford 2005 F350 6.0 PSD Dully w/turbo, 6 grandchildren, 3 standard poodles, a Shitzu, my best friend Maggie waiting at the rainbow bridge, a spoiled cat, and a good woman of 48 years.

robwhite61
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
You don't need to have the pin level with the hitch to connect, in fact trying to do that can lead to "High Hitching"! You want the pin plate about 1"'lower than the hitch plate, even up to 2" works just fine! You really want the pin plate ride up the hitch plate a bit the will prevent high hitching.

Unless you have a Curt Hitch. Then it doesn't work.

I have a Curt and it works for me. When I am hooking up from camping I always set the trailer a little lower so it will ride up the hitch. When I am parking for storage I leave the trailer at the height I unhitched and simply back in.
2001 Ford F-350 DRW, 7.3L Turbo Charged
2013 Heartland Prowler 31 PRET

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It would take me longer to try some of these suggestions than just getting out of the truck and walking back to see how far I need to lower/raise the trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚ I back up until I'm within a couple of inches of the pin, get out and raise/lower to where I want it, then get back in and back into the hitch. No muss, no fuss.

Get off your lazy can and do it this way! :R
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
thanks folks.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
I use the CHEAP old fashioned way to do it. I have my wife raise/lower the rig after I back up close to it then, after she has it at the right height I back under until she locks.....Works ever time without fail....LOL.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
On flat ground my nose centers on a trailer marker light just above the leg switches when the pin is just the right height for the 5th wheel.

Right height is about when the pin plate touches the 5th wheel hitch plate about halfway up the slot.

Nothing beats familiarity with doing it many times. You learn your own ques.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
Just get your wife to adjust when you back up to it; are I get out and adjust once I get close against pin.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It would take me longer to try some of these suggestions than just getting out of the truck and walking back to see how far I need to lower/raise the trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚ I back up until I'm within a couple of inches of the pin, get out and raise/lower to where I want it, then get back in and back into the hitch. No muss, no fuss.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
I like that Level+Plus. I wish they made one that just had the upper portion.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
blacktop wrote:
What about putting a mark on your jacks when you finalize the right height so you know how high to go every time you hook up?

You could put a piece of tape on the leg. There's probably easier ways to go.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
blacktop wrote:
What about putting a mark on your jacks when you finalize the right height so you know how high to go every time you hook up?

Won't work unless you park in the same, exact spot, each time you unhook. Sites can be out of level or have humps or hollows that affect where the landing legs extend to. Loading could also have an effect. You're very light one time or very heavy the next might affect where the legs end up.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hiking Hunter wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Got to ask why this will not work with a Curt hitch, when it is the recomeded method for all other 5th wheel hitch.

avvidclif1 is right...

The Curt Q20 is a different kind of hitch and is not hitched up like other hitches. Some people who have had other brands of hitches have trouble with this. I did too, until I realized the reason.
Most fifth wheel hitch plates โ€œfall backโ€ at an angle to provide a โ€œrampโ€ for the trailer hitch plate to ride up on when hitching. This doesnโ€™t work very well for the Curt hitch because of the way it is made. The Curt hitch has a solid steel shank that is affixed to the hitch plate that extends down into a thick, rigid, rubber mount. This mount provides damping and prevents most โ€œchucking and buckingโ€ prevalent in many hitches. When the hitch is not coupled, the "resting" or "static" position of the hitch plate is parallel to the ground instead of tilting back like most hitches. The plate does have a slight bevel at the trailing edge of the hitch plate. When you are hitching to the Curt hitch, I have found it is best to elevate the trailer pin so that the hitch plate is almost at the same height as the truck hitch plate โ€“ within ยฝโ€. Most other hitches are a little more forgiving on the height because they will elevate the trailer 1-3 inches with the โ€œRampโ€.

Not according to the Curt Q20 Owners Manual pg. 3 & 4 'Coupling' Section

Pg. 3
. Adjust the front trailer lifting jacks so the trailer's kingpin skid plate is approximately 1/2" below the top surface of 5th wheel
skid plate. Hooking up in this manner helps ensure proper
engagement of the trailer kingpin to most 5th wheel systems.
Never lower the trailer's kingpin into the 5th wheel hitch head.

Pg. 4
.Back-up the towing vehicle while remaining centered and aligned to trailer's kingpin. The trailer's kingpin skid plate will compress the towing vehicle's suspension and ramp up onto the 5th wheel skid plate

Pretty much sounds like hitching is the same ...trailer king pin plate lower than 5th wheel hitch plate...back in/up onto hitch

Granted the 1" to 2" might be a bit too low for some hitches.....but king pin plate lower than 5th wheel hitch is a good method that will help eliminate some issues

Well, that's what I said - reread my last two sentences.

The difference with the Curt hitch is that the ramp on the trailing edge is very steep (for the reasons I stated before). That requires a closer VERTICAL coupling spacing between the plates. If you try to raise your fiver 2-3" with the CURT ramp you end up bowing the front legs back because it "pushes" the camper instead of raising it - not good. In addition, I've noticed that if I take (practically) all the hitching weight off the plate and I don't expect the ramp to raise the camper at all, it hitches very smoothly, easily and without putting backward "push" on the camper.

No matter what type of hitching method is used, it's always best to get out and check to look for high hitching. Also do a pull test.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.