cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pullrite Super 5th Hitch and Lube Plate

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone who uses a Pullrite Super 5th (not the slider hitch) use a lube plate between the pin box and the face plate of the hitch? We are moving to the Super 5th from a Superglide because of a different tow vehicle. When I asked customer service at Pullrite one person said yes it was OK another guys says no they don't recommend it. They can't have it both ways.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
14 REPLIES 14

illinoiswoodwor
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted comment

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
phillyg wrote:
Strange to get different answers. The PR setup uses a capture plate on your pinbox...........

And this is why I say follow your manual for your hitch.

Not all pullrites are sliding hitches, and the OP clearly states in his first post his is not.

Doh, schlep is correct. I didn't closely read the OP'S qualifying language about his hitch not being the sliding type. Can I ever be forgiven?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pullrite ISR Super 5th 20k and directly from the owners manual it says you can use a lube plate and I do.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a Pullrite Super Glide to a Pullrite Super 5th as you have. I asked the same question and was told not to use the Teflon plate. Without the plate there was grinding noise and some minor gouges in the metal. I bought one of the Teflon plates and it works just fine. Their reasoning was that the hitch might not engage but they are wrong.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I don't, but when backing up to hitch, when I'm close I stop, get out, check how things look, then spray a little WD40 on the plate so it slides a bit easier.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
phillyg wrote:
Strange to get different answers. The PR setup uses a capture plate on your pinbox that locks the box to the pivot mechanism on the hitch. There is no movement there requiring a lube plate since the pivot is at the PR hitch assembly. That pivot assembly requires a variety of lubes, different depending on your PR type and model year.

And this is why I say follow your manual for your hitch.

Not all pullrites are sliding hitches, and the OP clearly states in his first post his is not.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Strange to get different answers. The PR setup uses a capture plate on your pinbox that locks the box to the pivot mechanism on the hitch. There is no movement there requiring a lube plate since the pivot is at the PR hitch assembly. That pivot assembly requires a variety of lubes, different depending on your PR type and model year.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We get mixed opinions, but a lube plate wasn't recommended by anyone to us. We use a spray graphite. So far this has worked fine.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
rkassl wrote:
That's why I posted this, one tech at Pullrite said it was OK, still on a different call another tech stated that they don't recommend it, that's why I wanted some real world experience.

Thanks

I am guessing that the Techs (just like some here) are assuming you mean the Superglide and tell you "No". If the manual (available on Pullrite's site) says "yes", I'd go with that and be done.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Always refer to the manual for your hitch.
The manual for my superglide says do not use a lube plate. That is the problem with asking on a forum. You will get answers based on what others do for their hitch, not your hitch. And also why you got 2 answers from pullrite. The easy answer is "no". No can not hurt them. As some of there hitches can not use lube plates and some can. Not using one will not hurt them. If they tell you yes without actually getting specific hitch info from you they are guessing. So the person that told you "no" probably didn't want to be bothered with looking it up.

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I posted this, one tech at Pullrite said it was OK, still on a different call another tech stated that they don't recommend it, that's why I wanted some real world experience.

Thanks
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I had a Pullrite Super 5th in my previous F350. Used a lube plate for years. Used it with the OEM pin box and later with a 5th Airborne pin box. No problem at all.

A call to Pullrite should provide the definite answer.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use one on our Pullrite super, haven't had any problems with it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Do a search for pullrite super 5th manual. I looked at one for the 16K hitch, on page 11 it said you can use a lube plate.