cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about clearance on new 5er

mmanske
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I just bought a new 2016 Crusader 32' 5th wheel. My previous 5er was a 34' Cruiser that had plenty of room between the rear of the truck and the front compartment of the trailer when connected. I now have very little room in that area, although it is enough to clear when making turns. I'm a little uneasy about this tight clearance. I emailed Prime Time Mfg about getting an extended pinbox to allow for more clearance and asked if this would void the warranty or create any structural problems. A rep responded that "Adding an extension may cause issues, we would recommend that you work with the dealer as they know more about the aftermarket products." I have yet to get with my dealer (heading there tomorrow) but wanted to ask someone that has had experience with this.
My question is has anyone run into this and if so, what was the outcome. I don't want to have to spend $1500 on an automatic sliding hitch. My TV is a 2005 F250 CC with a ProSeries 15k sliding hitch (manual operated).
Also, I have searched the Forum and read thru 17 pages and found nothing on this.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
2012 F250 CC 6.7PSD w/3.55s
2016 Crusader 295RST
Reese 15k slider
19' Predator bay boat
wife and 2 girls
2 cats (they don't camp)
11 REPLIES 11

mmanske
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it seems this is more common than I thought. I was used to about 1 1/2' more space with my other FW and I guess it spoiled me. I can open the tailgate and compartment door but it's very tight. I could walk easily between the truck and other camper whereas now I gotta squeeze thru. Oh well, I will just get have to get used to it. I made a near 90 deg turn just inching along to make sure that they will not hit anywhere. And I know that I have the slider option as well.

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain what advantage a Sidewinder turret is? I watched a video on etrailer.com but still not sure about it.

Thanks to all for the replies and comparisons. I do appreciate it.
2016 Crusader 295RST
Reese 15k slider
19' Predator bay boat
wife and 2 girls
2 cats (they don't camp)

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't drop the TV tailgate, nor open the front compartment of the FW, when hooked up. Think thus is very common.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I think if there was an issue, you would have already discovered it. For example, if your open tailgate hit the compartment door. Lots of fivers these days will not clear an open tailgate. Mine won't. But when hitched up, there is no problem jackknifing in a 90 degree turn.

I solved the tailgate issue by going to a Vee gate.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled my Crusader 315 with a 2012 F250 SWB and now with an F350 LWB, no issues with either one.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Crusader (see signature) I have no issues I can put the tailgate down to hitch and un-hitch and have about 3" -4" of room and I have had it at 90degrees no problem
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Lippert will tell you that you can use the Resee Sidewinder. They supply this as original equipment on some of the fiver frames they provide.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
When my slider hitch is in tow mode location, and if I am parked with a small angle between the TV & 5er, the storage door will not open all the way. That's why I put the slider hitch in maneuvering mode once we get to the campground entrance.

I do actually prefer a tight fit in the back. Never had a problem with the truck and 5er ever hitting each other along the truck rear.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well our 1st 5er had very little clearance between the bumper and front compartment. I could not lower the Tailgate with the 5er connected. Once I knew I could turn, I no longer worried about it. In fact I am looking a a shorter pin box for the current 5er to draw it closer to the TV.

This is about the only picture how close they set.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
mmanske wrote:
TusconJim, thanks for the reply. I didn't think of contacting Lippert. I think that will be my next move. Thanks.

Lippert is actually pretty responsive to these kinds of requests. I've called them in the past about brakes and adding a bicycle carrier to the frame. Good luck.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

mmanske
Explorer
Explorer
TusconJim, thanks for the reply. I didn't think of contacting Lippert. I think that will be my next move. Thanks.
2016 Crusader 295RST
Reese 15k slider
19' Predator bay boat
wife and 2 girls
2 cats (they don't camp)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the best thing for you to do is find an open parking lot. Back up the rig and turn until you are just about to jack-knife into the cab. If this angle is insufficient for your normal driving, you either need to extend the hitch or get an automatic slider. If you can live with it and only engage the manual slider when needed, so be it.

As for the extended hitch. I'd call the frame manufacturer (Lippert?) and discuss it with one of their engineers. If the RV manufacturer won't commit to an answer, I'm doubtful if the dealership will either. I believe the frame manufacturer is the best one to make this decision.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)