cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Light" type fifth wheels versus "regular"???

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Need some advice on advantages (or disadvantages) of the "light" fifth wheels (other than weight). Most of them don't seem to allow much cargo weight for the overall gross vehicle weight (some ~1200 to 1500 lbs) versus a "normal" fifth wheel that might allow 2400 or more cargo pounds. Is that because the frame is lighter duty? I am not sure I have paid much attention to cargo weight in the past on cargo weight as we have been limited on overall space on my hybrid camper so maybe it wasn't an issue. Are there other disadvantages to "light" fifth wheels? Longevity?

We are looking at several brands between 29 and 34 feet and really like some of the "light" versions but are looking at normal 5'ers as well.

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD (Duramax / Allison trans). Have had it since it was new. I don't want to overwork it by pushing its limits but I have more pulling power than a typical 1/2 ton. (Most of the lites seem geared toward 1/2 ton tow vehicles)

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!!!!
John and Patti
Chevy 2500 HD / Duramax/Allison
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
http://www.painthorsefarm.com
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
gillman wrote:
Need some advice on advantages (or disadvantages) of the "light" fifth wheels (other than weight). Most of them don't seem to allow much cargo weight for the overall gross vehicle weight (some ~1200 to 1500 lbs) versus a "normal" fifth wheel that might allow 2400 or more cargo pounds. Is that because the frame is lighter duty? I am not sure I have paid much attention to cargo weight in the past on cargo weight as we have been limited on overall space on my hybrid camper so maybe it wasn't an issue. Are there other disadvantages to "light" fifth wheels? Longevity?

We are looking at several brands between 29 and 34 feet and really like some of the "light" versions but are looking at normal 5'ers as well.

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD (Duramax / Allison trans). Have had it since it was new. I don't want to overwork it by pushing its limits but I have more pulling power than a typical 1/2 ton. (Most of the lites seem geared toward 1/2 ton tow vehicles)

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!!!!

It's not what you can tow, it's what you can carry. I know that my '02 D'max is at its limits when I'm towing heavy. Frankly, I simply don't know how my Komfort can carry 4,000+ lbs of cargo, even with full tanks. I can only conclude that the CCC was computed when the frame and superstructure were weighed with absolutely no interior yet installed. I give about as much credence to CCC as I do dry weights.

Regarding "lights" vs "standard" FWs, they're using lighter materials, construction methods and cutting tank capacities. Personally, I'd like to be able to move my axles 6" forward.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goukcats
Explorer
Explorer
There are several "lite" RVs available that are lighter in weight but still have decent features & quality. My current 5er is a Cougar High Country & some people are towing these with Ford EB half tons. I did tow mine with an 08' GMC 2500 6.0 gas. I was very pleased with the tow capability of the GMC & only changed to diesel so I could use cruise most of the time on long trips.

Someone else also mentioned Montana HC. Your TV should also tow some of those floor plans just fine. Check the pin & total weight.

Check out some of the various "lite" RVs & compare their quality to the other RVs for yourself. You might be surprised. If someone has actually owned a "lite" RV & has negative comments, you should probably listen.

The materials & processes are much better today than they were even 10 years ago. Some things are lighter and stronger. Check dealers stock & reviews from "lite" owners; then make an informed decision. Good luck & happy trails.
Wayne & Sheryl
Plus Ollie & Sophie
(they don't know they're dogs)
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320

"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're getting a Cougar X-Lite for our little 13' Ecoboost HD to pull around
Dry #'s
shipping weight 7047
axle weight 5857
pin weight 1190
CC 2943
&
GVWR 9990

Guess this is what Keystone claims in lite
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
What about the ones that tout using lighter materials like the Keystone Montana High Country vs a regular Montana? I like the High Country models and they seem nice to me, but I am a novice. I do notice the regular (heavier) Montanas are a good bit more money
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Making things lighter without sacrificing some durability costs money. Better engineering, construction and more expensive materials etc. I think one would expect to pay more for a really good lightweight than they would for a regular model. Think race cars and aircraft.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
We had a JayFlight 285RLS, Had a GVWR of 9200# the spec empty is 7300# and IIRC it's actual was just under 7500#. We had about 1500# of Carry Capacity and we used most all of it. The walls were thin and our biggest complaint was that there were no 110V outlets on any outside wall. They were just to thin. And as said by previous posters the bracing in the wall was minimal. We also had issues cooling the trailer, if you didn't have shade the AC didn't keep up.
Compare to the current Montana Mountaineer 285RLD. Very similar floorplan, but with bedroom slideout. Spec UVW of 9425, actual sticker weight of 9470 and GVWR of 14120. This give of Carry Capacity of 4650. I at 6'2" can stand in the living room slide of this trailer and I can stand in the bedroom. We have 50amp electric and 2 AC units so we stay cool. But the walls are twice as thick, and there are outlets where you expect to find them. We also have a 10 gal water heater and the 8 cubic foot fridge both are nice to have. I don't see us ever filling all the storage, or getting any where near GVWR.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Laredo 1/2 ton series (their version of lite). we've had it a little over a year and it seems well built. CCC has been fine for us. It only has one slide which isn't much by today's standards, but it suits us.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have a so called lite 5'er.
Sticker dry weights are
Pin 1385
UVW 7385
CCC 4315

Loaded up for camping
Pin 1800
Total 9000+/-
I can pretty much carry whatever I need.

Need to shop around for high CCC numbers. The more the better. That's why we went with a Northwood Fox Mountain.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your truck probably has a GVWR of 9200# with a RAWR of 6084# and a max tow rating (under idea conditions) of 12,000#

Numbers on Data Plate....door jamb

Go weigh your truck camp ready (you, all passengers, fuel, stuff in cab/bed)
Subtract that actual scaled weight from trucks GVWR......difference is available pin weight (5vrs typically run 20% of trailers GVWR---ie: 12K trailer GVWR would ~2400# pin weight)

Also look at available rear axle weight and rear tire load capacity.

Once you have the scaled numbers......finding a 5th wheel within your trucks weight rating capacity is easier.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jettech109
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a lite 32 foot larado. I would have to agree that it has plenty of insulation and is constructed well. Had it out this winter at hunting spot with temps at high of 14 one weekend and 20 the next. I had to get on roof to knock snow off slide because it was not melting quick enough. We had one electric heater and used propane to bring up to temp. Used 2 30# tanks for 3 solid weekends. Plan on getting another electric for nex season Main frame all heavy steal construction however the upper deck is all alluminum. It is on 2 5K# axles so I have like 2300 payload. We have only had for a couple of trips but seams to work for us. I pull with a 2011 Chevy 2500 D/A and reall can hardly notice it is back there. Trip from STL to DAL we got about 11.5 and had 28mph winds in OK did not feel unstable to me. Fresh tank is small 30gl but have 30black and 60 of gray. Plenty for a weekend in my opinion. But would require full hookup for much more.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a lite unit and it was well built. Fully laminated walls, roof and floor so wall strength was sufficient that studs every 16" was not needed. But cargo capacity was limited along with floor plans, otherwise we would have stayed with that brand. Another issue can be limited number of electrical outlets/switches on exterior walls on any unit (lite or normal) using laminated construction.

In reality, regardless of lite or normal, there are well engineered and assembled brands and plenty of the opposite as well. Any can have quality issues from time to time and with the limited number of component suppliers, all brands can experience component problems like Dometic and Norcold refer reliability issues causing RV fires.

If I were looking for a lite unit today, Forest River Flagstaff and Rockwood twins would certainly be on my short list to check out.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Explorer II
Explorer II
I concluded that our Lite has the same quality and construction as a larger, heavier FW but in a smaller package. I don't know about less insulation but it does a great job staying comfortable.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Our Flagstaff dry wt 6637 max cargo 2149.....26.3 ft.......plenty of insulation.....100 + w heat index 125 on rocks no shade a/c comes on and shuts off some during heat of day....temp very cool.....15000 ......14 degrees with ice ......single digit index.....two 1500 w set on low kept it in upper 60s..on low they put out about 900 w each......polar package kept everything from freezing.....when wind got up I turned on drop cord light in basement near water inlets.....and also left front 12v light on in front bay......good luck with whatever you choose.....TV is 2500hd crew 8 ft bed...Gas long wheel base

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bottom line is that you are going to get what you pay for. The light weights are light because of their construction from the ground up, starting with smaller, lighter wheels, through the less robust frame & on through materials ontop of that frame.

I guess the lightweight is fine for the weekend warrior who goes out to the local CG every weekend so the trailer does not get the road wear & tear of a long distance/long time/fulltime traveler. Don't expect an inexpensive lightweight trailer to stand up to tens of thousands of miles each year of that kind of use.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995