cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raptor 300mp with SRW F350 Diesel?

Vt_Rv
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at a used 2011 Raptor 300MP. I have a 2011 Ford F350 SRW Diesel. My head is spinning looking at all these weights, gross, combined, CCC, etc..

Anyone have any advise on this combo. I'm looking at towing to Sturgis from Vt. with two Harley Ultra Classic's.

My other concern is the garage. A 10' garage seems small to have the bikes and still be able to use one of the electric beds. In a perfect world I'd like to be able to load the two dressers and a smaller Honda Shadow.
2003 Damon Challenger 348
2011 Ford F350 Diesel
2005 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
So many toys, so little time! Retirement? Tick Tock, Tick Tock
12 REPLIES 12

Vt_Rv
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the advise and feedback. Taking it all into consideration and trying to decide on the 5er or Class A.
2011 Ford F350 Diesel

Quick_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
You can see my setup so I am not going to comment on your truck but as far as the bunks go mine came with (4) pins that you can put in and lower the bottom bunk only. We have lowered the bunk down to the toys and have been able to sleep on it when on extended trips that require pulling over to rest.
2015 Renegade Classic Volvo D16
2015 RZR 1000 Magnum Offroad #553
2014 RZR 570 Magnum Offroad #437
2012 RZR 570 Holz #553
2014 Trophy Kart JR-Mod #437
2011 RZR 900 Turbo

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Having towed a Fuzion 322 all over the Sierras with a 2001 7.3 F250 the truck trailer combo should be fine if driven sanely. I would not go any bigger myself mine was comfortable even in a couple quick manuver situations.

The garage is your big issue IMHO, somethings going to end up swapping paint going down the road.

Good luck

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a similar trailer with a DRW, but I have friends that pull both a similar Fuzion as to me and a Voltage with a SRW 350 and 3500s. I would not be afraid of that load with a SRW. A DRW would add an additional level of comfort in case of a blow out on the rear, but assuming your tires are up to the task, and I am sure your capacity is fine with that pin weight, I would not pass on the trailer if that is the one you want.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
People get all caught up in the "the load in the garage will take weight off the pin", but it doesn't seem to work that way with long 5th wheel haulers. It seems to have a much greater effect on bumper pull haulers.

My personal experience with my weighed trailer (Sherline scale)in every loaded/unloaded situation is that my 1400 pound sandrail has no effect on reducing or adding to the tongue weight of my TT, TH. I know the OP is talking about a FW but, for those with TT,TH that's my experience. My fresh water tanks (2) are located one in front and one behind the 2 axles, then grey in front of forward fresh tank then black tank.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

taken
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking for personal experience then mine will tell you that you'll be absolutely fine. Our 30C has a touch over 3k on the pin and it hauls like it's not back there. Of course, when I put 2k in ATV's in the back, the pin get's lighter, but it actually hauls better with the garage empty. Our trailer's GVWR is 16k and loaded to the gills we are close to that. Been over 5k miles in the last two years and couldn't be happier with the experience.

Go for the trailer and HAVE FUN!
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody is an expert, yet none of them have actually offered real world experience towing the trailer you are asking about with the truck you have. I basically have the same truck and I tow a Fuzion 315 which is almost identical to the Raptor 300mp except it is 14" longer.

The pin weight on the 300mp is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 315, but again they are close. There is no doubt that the 300mp will be maxing out your truck. I always hesitate to say you are safe because I have no idea what kind of driver you are or what your experience is. I will say that you truck is more than capable of handling that trailer. I added airbags to help improve the ride, but the truck does sit level without the bags.

People get all caught up in the "the load in the garage will take weight off the pin", but it doesn't seem to work that way with long 5th wheel haulers. It seems to have a much greater effect on bumper pull haulers. With about 1200 lbs of cargo (golf cart, etc) in the garage, it shifts about 60 lbs off the pin. The fresh water tank is directly over the axles and doesn't seem to affect pin weight when it is full. The black and grey tanks really affect pin weight when they are filled. I try to travel with those tanks empty unless I absolutely can't avoid it.

The biggest thing you will need to worry about with your truck is the rear tires. If you have 18" wheels, your tires are probably not rated for the load they will need to carry with the 300mp. The 20" tires are rated a lot higher and their shorter sidewall results in a lot less squirm or sway. Fully loaded, the 300mp is going to put your rear axle weight somewhere around 6600-6700 lbs.

As for the garage, you may be able to use the top bunk if you remove the bottom bunk depending on how your bikes are equipped. The top bunk only has less than 60" clearance in a sleepable position. People get by with Harleys and a 10' garage but it isn't ideal. Unless you can squeeze the bikes 3 wide into an 8' wide space, they aren't going to fit in the 10' garage. Even if you could squeeze them in 3 wide, I think you are going to exceed the weight limit of the garage. You really need a 3 axle trailer with a 12' garage for that load. We settled on the Fuzion 315 because it was the biggest trailer that a SRW truck should be towing. It meets our needs but just barely. I would really like to have a 12' garage, but that will have to wait until I get a dually in a few years.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Vt_Rv
Explorer
Explorer
More info: The GVWR on my truck is 11500, rear axel 7000 front 6000, 5th wheel towing 15,700, empty weight of the 300MP 11,980, carrying capacity 3144 hitch weight 2390.
2011 Ford F350 Diesel

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture of a RV sitting on it's side, so it is easy to see the tanks.

RE: How strong a wind to tip over an RV?

The original post was made a couple of years ago, by Clifford, and he found this RV on it's side. I thought that the picture was pretty cool, and makes it easy to show people how the tanks are mounted, because the owners put it on the side yard, wind funnels through the houses, increased speed due to venturi effect, and well you have easy to see tanks.

Wayyyyy back in November someone asked if they'd stay in a parked RV in a high wind advisory. The general consensus was that most people would, a few argued that winds sufficient to tip an RV are very rare. I knew if I waited it would happen and I didn't have to wait long. I took these pictures today after this weekends High Wind Advisory. Officially we didn't reach a gust over 53 MPH. Officially the official records are full crap. We went wayyyy over 53 MPH.

People are always asking about how the tanks are attached to the bottom of the RV, this is a great example, with the forward tank having the 3" line to the black tank, middle tank is 1-1/2" line for grey water, next tank looks like the fresh water, with the rearmost tank probably being a gasoline tank in this toyhauler.

How nice of them to flip it on the side like this, to get such a great view! LOL

Once the winds are this strong, it is time to park the RV, not consider driving in it! And if in a RV park, consider filling the tanks for ballast! Or get out and spend the night in the restrooms, hopefully they are block wall construction, that is common in Toronado Alley. Fred. If it is that windy, I want to be in a sleeping bag or wrapped in a heavy blanket, sleeping in the block wall rest rooms. The RV is replaceable, you already agreed on a replacement price if the RV is totaled with your insurance agent. Fred.

You can see the whole story at this web page.

Link

Back to your question. If the fuel tanks are located toward the rear, then fill them to take away weight from the pin. Leave them empty if forward of the rear axle, until you are near South Dakota. Leave the forward fresh water tank empty, but spend a night in a campground a day's drive from Sturgis and fill it there.

By the way when at Mt. Rushmore, there are 4 tunnels lined up directly with the monument on highway 16. Stop at tunnel #2 or #3 for the least crowds, tunnel #1 from the south or north will always be much more crowded.

Also as you leave Mt. Rushmore, turn to the right and go about 1/4 mile to a small parking area, where you can get a nice side shot of Washington.

Have fun at Sturgis!

Fred.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Do you have any more information for us to go with?

Do you know the trailer GVWR, pin weight (normally empty)? Location of the fresh water tank helps as well.

If you could find a used Glendale RV toyhauler, it has a much lower pin weight, and both fresh water tanks are located between the axles, so they do not add to much pin weight.

Your motorcycles will take away pin weight because it is behind the rear axles of the trailer, a good thing in your case. If you need a larger garage, then buy what you will be happy with, not someone else's 'opps I need something larger now so I need to trade up again'.

Check out this website. RvSearch.com You can find many toyhaulers, even some diesel class C with the GMC chassis and a 19,500 GVWR. Just click on "Toyhauler" and enter your zip code and within 500 miles, you should get a good list to pick from. Do not pick a manufacture or type (class C or trailer).

Any travel trailer type will have a much lower hitch weight, but have all the drawbacks of a travel trailer in strong winds. I agree that a fifth wheel will tow much better, but the Hensley hitch, or it's upgraded version will work well with a travel trailer.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

GT_Roach
Explorer
Explorer
IMO way too much trailer for a srw truck. The gross weight is about 15k and with 20-25% on the pin that's close to 3.5k on the rear axle. I know you will say you won't have anywhere near the gross but after a season or two you'll be surprised how close you get when loaded assuming you weigh your rig. Of course many don't weigh their rigs when loaded and go blissfully off but they are courting a disaster. A dually is the safe way to haul that much and keep yourselves and us other motorists safe. And that is why I have a dually and I weigh my whole rig when ready to roll.

Brodie3Az
Explorer
Explorer
Just remove the lower garage bunk and leave at home. The garage was not really meant to be occupied when transporting motorized toys.