cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rash of Stolen Trucks in KC

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had posted about my F350 being stolen in June. Here is a link to that thread.

I got a call from a KC Police detective Friday. He said one of the local TV stations wanted to interview me about my truck being stolen. I agreed in the hope that it might shed some light on the problem and just maybe help prevent someone else from having theirs stolen.

I thought some of you here might be interested in it.

Here is the link to the report that aired Friday night.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
17 REPLIES 17

bigg-limo
Explorer
Explorer
Ravelco is what I have in all of my vehicles,....three pickup trucks, a suburban, and a Kenworth RV hauler. Vehicles, simply will not start, nor run without your plug. The plugs are not universal as well. The plug for my Suburban will not work in any of my other vehicles, and vice versa with the others. Therefore, no one can steal a Revelco plug to use in another vehicle that is required to use one. One of the installers told me that the Ford Superduties are the eases to steal. I forgot why, because it was about 3 years ago when I had them done. I wish I had known about it 10 years ago. I would've saved a ton of money by not buying aftermarket alarms. If I get a chance, I will post a video of how it works.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
SO one thing that got me thinking after I thought my TV had been stolen while camping away from home, is now that most cars have electronic/chipped keys,
how do cars still get stolen?

I ask because one of my fears is having the TV stolen while 1,000 miles away from home and what (if anything) I can do do diminish the possibility of car theft.

If the thief does not have the fob/key - how do they steal a car? (obviously a rhetorical question !!!)

Gerry

I wonder if that is why the news said up to 2007. I know my 2001, 2006 did not have the chipped key. I don't remember if my 2008 did but my 2014 does. I always thought it was odd that even in 2006 my key was not chipped.

Thanks for posting the video, great awareness.

Just to add - for the newer trucks your exhaust is vulnerable now. New F350 in our group had the entire exhaust stolen while parked at a hotel - $5,400 repair.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, I still like the old "James Bond Car Alarm". You break into the car, it blows up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:
fitznj wrote:
SO one thing that got me thinking after I thought my TV had been stolen while camping away from home, is now that most cars have electronic/chipped keys,

I ask because one of my fears is having the TV stolen while 1,000 miles away from home and what (if anything) I can do do diminish the possibility of car theft.

If the thief does not have the fob/key - how do they steal a car? (obviously a rhetorical question !!!)

Gerry

Around here they simply use a tow vehicle, they use the type that they can slide out a device that cradles the rear tires and they drive away with your vehicle. Gone in 30 seconds.

"Denver Boot" - on one of the front wheels?...:@

Also - check for theft deterrents on any of the brand specific truck forums for various methods - and discussion of same...:W

~

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
Just buy a Ram no one wants them :B

I thought of that. I am cheap but I do have my standards!!! LOL

Got to keep your standards ,and pride . I have no shame I drive ones of those Rams :S

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
up2nogood wrote:

I thought of that. I am cheap but I do have my standards!!! LOL

In response to fitznj, on Super Dutys they didn't start using the chip in the key until the 2008 model year.

To Iraqvet05, it is a metro wide problem hense the formation of a task force.

To Laknox, I did add a Cyclops Anti Theft device to my truck. It comes with 2 key fobs and a relay. The relay replaces on my truck the IDM relay. I have a buddy who bought one for his 06' SD and his replaces the PCM relay.
Any way you must press the button on the key fob in order to start the truck. If you don't on mine it will turn over but it won't fire.

Thanks for all the responses. Like I said before just thought some here might be interested. Thanks, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:

Gerry

Around here they simply use a tow vehicle, they use the type that they can slide out a device that cradles the rear tires and they drive away with your vehicle. Gone in 30 seconds.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
justme wrote:
With today's technology vehicle hacking has became a real threat-- especially when a smart phone is connect to the vehicle. OnStar, Ford Sync and others are especially vulnerable. Do a Google on "car hacking" and get educated on a good defense before you become a victim. Just saying.... ๐Ÿ™‚

I've had more than a few friends who have put a simple toggle switch in line with the ignition system. Hide the switch under the dash, in the glove box, etc. OFF and it won't even crank.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

justme
Explorer
Explorer
With today's technology vehicle hacking has became a real threat-- especially when a smart phone is connect to the vehicle. OnStar, Ford Sync and others are especially vulnerable. Do a Google on "car hacking" and get educated on a good defense before you become a victim. Just saying.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I bought a GMC and it came with Onstar......then they wanted 30 bucks a month to keep it activated.....what a crock......I did not bite.....I wonder if my truck got stolen would they be able to find it?? Or would a subscription be required...

I doubt they would help you after you declined the service.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a GMC and it came with Onstar......then they wanted 30 bucks a month to keep it activated.....what a crock......I did not bite.....I wonder if my truck got stolen would they be able to find it?? Or would a subscription be required...

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
shadows4 wrote:
I had posted about my F350 being stolen in June. Here is a link to that thread.

I got a call from a KC Police detective Friday. He said one of the local TV stations wanted to interview me about my truck being stolen. I agreed in the hope that it might shed some light on the problem and just maybe help prevent someone else from having theirs stolen.

I thought some of you here might be interested in it.

Here is the link to the report that aired Friday night.

Would like to watch it but, as usual, Flash keep crashing my browsers; both IE and Firefox. I wish like hell people would dump Flash...

Glad you got your truck back. Was wondering if you updated the security system in it to an ignition kill type? What about Lo-Jack, or something similar?

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if there is a specific county where this is happening or if it is metro wide.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran