Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recall on some door locks

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Check Here

Got a letter today on a lock recall for our KZ, might want to look at the web site to see if ur RV lock is in the recall, this is not just for KZ.
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch
18 REPLIES 18

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
I learned about this recall from another forum last August, about two weeks prior to leaving on an extended trip. Since my lock was in the recall series I contacted Fastec by phone and explained my predicament. The good folks at Fastec had new lock cores in my hands in less that a week. It literally took me more time to open the package than to replace the cores.

Great service from Fastec.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

D5-W - ?
DeoxIT D5 (if that's what you mean) is an expensive lubricant and *cleaner* - removes oxidation. WD-40 will lubricate - but it's mainly a *solvent*.

milo wrote:

Larry you really used D5-W? Hmmmm May I ask how you used it cuz D5W is 5% dextrose in a water solution or better known as an Intravenous sugar solution used in IV's. Maybe you sprayed WD-40 in them instead.

Okay, I messed up. Yes I did mean WD40. I worked in the medical field for a few decades and am now retired, so I will chalk this one up to having a โ€œsenior moment,โ€ or maybe it was the wine I was drinking while posting here? Thanks for the correction.:B
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

N6761U
Explorer
Explorer
Just read about the recall on here and my 09 Big Country is affected and so is my brothers 11 Montana.

Steve

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you dip the Oreos in the milk before you try to push them into the key slot, they go in easier.

Getting the mess out is another thread.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I use lactated Ringers on mine. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larryzv7 wrote:
I had to learn the hard way to lube my locks every now and then with some D5-W or other light lubricate

Larry you really used D5-W? Hmmmm May I ask how you used it cuz D5W is 5% dextrose in a water solution or better known as an Intravenous sugar solution used in IV's. Maybe you sprayed WD-40 in them instead.
I never got a recall notice but thanks to RV.Net, saw it on here and got on there website and they sent the 2 I needed.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Larryzv7 wrote:
My door lock is not on the recall list but I did have a lesson involving door locks that I will share here. My key broke off in my door lock and I had to learn the hard way to lube my locks every now and then with some D5-W or other light lubricate.

D5-W - ?

DeoxIT D5 (if that's what you mean) is an expensive lubricant and *cleaner* - removes oxidation.

WD-40 will lubricate - but it's mainly a *solvent*.

Ask a locksmith - graphite or a dry graphite spray for locks.
(SlipPlate is a good inexpensive solution).

~

As "tbred" indicates, the WESCO Fastec Industrial letter indicates - "If you have already paid to have your lock cylinders replaced to address the problem, you may be eligible for reimbursement."

"Contact Fastec at - Link

(fastec industrial dot com) or call toll free (800) 837-2505"

~

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
This is funny. We are currently on the road fulltiming. Our lock broke last week - luckily we have two doors. The second lock is difficult so we are replacing them both today. Had we known about the recall before we left last month, we could have fixed it. Instead, we have to pay to get the entire lock and handle replaced. At least I know now it wasn't my fault.

Save your receipts, if your locks are indeed involved in the recall they should reimburse you for the parts at least.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
This is funny. We are currently on the road fulltiming. Our lock broke last week - luckily we have two doors. The second lock is difficult so we are replacing them both today. Had we known about the recall before we left last month, we could have fixed it. Instead, we have to pay to get the entire lock and handle replaced. At least I know now it wasn't my fault.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
My door lock is not on the recall list but I did have a lesson involving door locks that I will share here. My key broke off in my door lock and I had to learn the hard way to lube my locks every now and then with some D5-W or other light lubricate. It was just a matter of the lock being stiff and I had to order a new one from the manufacture because where the key broke off was stuck in the lockโ€™s key hole and I could not remove it. I could have paid a locksmith to remove it but thought Iโ€™d just buy a new one; which was only $30. There are a few things on the 5th wheel that need periodic lubrication, bearings, etc., and now I will add door locks to that list.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for this, as the owner of a used fiver, we would not have known about this if it wasn't for this forum. Our Toy hauler happens to have one of the recalled lock sets.
Thanks again for taking the time to let others know.

Chad
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the tumbler on my Lance FIC door lock several months back. It was st most a 5 minute job, then returned the old tumbler to FIC. The instruction that came with the replacement said to check and see if the door key could be removed at any position other than locked or open. My keys would pull out at any position, so the tumblers, both needed to be replaced.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I called the company and was told the recall is ONLY for FIC door keys - not baggage compartment keys. Since my door is not FIC did not apply to me.

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
yes, I received on a few days ago.
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter