cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for New 5th Wheel

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking for a new 5th wheel and would like some recommendations. We currently have a 2008 Cougar 314BHS (bunkhouse) and are ready to move away from the bunkhouse stage... We do have two kids, but believe they will be OK sleeping on couches, etc.

We would like to have lots more room in the living room, have a large TV acrosss from a couch/relciner setup, have a seperate room for the bath/shower, and have a larger bedroom with a slide. We will use the trailer year round from near zero temps up to 110 degrees in the summer.

We enjoy state parks and have found our current 35' 5th wheel fits in most places... I am concerned about the ability to fit the larger 5th wheels into these types of places.

Features we want:
-auto level
-good insulation
-well sealed (to keep mice/insects out)
-TV across from recliners/couch
-prefer a residential electric fridge
-as close to 35' as possible
-dual pane windows
-dual air conditioners

5th Wheels we are considering:
-Grand Design Solitude 320X
-Grand Design Solitude 369RL
-Open Range 3X378RL
-Montana 3791RD
-Montana High Country 353RL
-Heartland???

I have a 2011 F-350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 6.7L Diesel truck. I will not be replacing the truck, so I need to stay within it's limits.

My wife really likes the Solitude 369RL and that is where we are leaning... Just wanting to make sure we are not overlooking something obvious. There is a dealer close to us as well.
34 REPLIES 34

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
-auto level
-good insulation
-dual pane windows

Have you looked at Arctic Fox fifth wheels by Northwood Mfg? We recently bought one and there is quite a bit of difference regarding insulation and well-sealed from our previous campers. We are in it all winter and I have noticed a huge difference in heating/cooling. Also, other camper seemed "drafty" or something?? whereas this one is not that way. We are much happier with the roomy floor plan also. You can order whatever options you want or can afford.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again for all the replies. My wife and I will go through all of them and see where we end up. I have looked at the Artic Fox... at least on paper. There is not a dealer any where around me that carries them?

If you really want one. It is easy. Fly to Portland or even to the factory in La Grande and see them. Then if you want one drive out and get it.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Your decision, get the one you want.
HR

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Might consider looking at the Jayco Pinnacle line or maybe drop down to the Premier. I know this is blasphemous to mention Jayco with all these other great fifth-wheels, but I couldn't help it.
John A. Lichty

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I have been searching for something similar. Here are a few others you might want to look at:

CrossRoads Rushmore Springfield

Blue Ridge 3025RL

Redwood Cypress CY36CRL

Ed

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the replies. My wife and I will go through all of them and see where we end up. I have looked at the Artic Fox... at least on paper. There is not a dealer any where around me that carries them?

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
You asked! I would look at Arctic Fox. It may not have all the features you like/need but it will likely go the distance with less issues, solid frame, and well insulated.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you will be close to or over weight specs by the time you are all loaded up & hitting the road but you won't be alone running on the heavy side.

You might think about moving the target length down abit & be prepared to go as long as what the target is now. Agree with others that you are looking for an awful lot in a 35'er. Also right that going too big starts to give serious limitations in SPs & NPs.

Kids are adaptable. They sleep anywhere. Put them ouside in a tent. A residential fridge is going to need a serious battery bank if you ever want to dry camp without frequent use of a noisy genny.

Set out a list of 'must haves', 'like to haves' & 'really not that importants', then start eliminating. You will come down to a short list very quickly.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, one other point, we were over weight for our TV, had an extra leaf spring added, and differant load range tires, the shop that did the work certified the TV for the added weight and replaced the factory sticker with a new one.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Solitude 320, model and love it! The 369 is also very nice IMHO either would be fine, if DW likes the floor plan of the 369, go for it. GD has some very nice products and the Customer Service is Number ONE! You will not regret it!! Enjoy!

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
MOST of those are already OVERWEIGHT for your truck. Per the Ford tow guide you have a GROSS capacity of just over 11,000 lbs. Keep looking and be safe.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the opposing slides and curb side dinette like this one

The opposing LR slides provide a roomier LR.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Heartland Bighorn has some good floor plans. They also have good customer service.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
scotjima wrote:
My wife and I are looking for a new 5th wheel and would like some recommendations. We currently have a 2008 Cougar 314BHS (bunkhouse) and are ready to move away from the bunkhouse stage... We do have two kids, but believe they will be OK sleeping on couches, etc.

We would like to have lots more room in the living room, have a large TV acrosss from a couch/relciner setup, have a seperate room for the bath/shower, and have a larger bedroom with a slide. We will use the trailer year round from near zero temps up to 110 degrees in the summer.

We enjoy state parks and have found our current 35' 5th wheel fits in most places... I am concerned about the ability to fit the larger 5th wheels into these types of places.

Features we want:
-auto level
-good insulation
-prefer a residential electric fridge
-as close to 35' as possible
-dual pane windows
-dual air conditioners

5th Wheels we are considering:
-Grand Design Solitude 320X
-Grand Design Solitude 369RL
-Open Range 3X378RL
-Montana 3791RD
-Montana High Country 353RL
-Heartland???

I have a 2011 F-350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 6.7L Diesel truck. I will not be replacing the truck, so I need to stay within it's limits.

My wife really likes the Solitude 369RL and that is where we are leaning... Just wanting to make sure we are not overlooking something obvious. There is a dealer close to us as well.

Don't forget to look at Cedar Creek or Silverback
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a front living room design? Very spacious living room.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE