Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended 5th Wheel to live in full time in Alaska

mcrivelli
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

My name is Mary, I am a new member to this forum. Hoping you can help a newbie out here.... Currently I am living in Maryland but am looking to move to Homer, Alaska within the next year or two. My goal is that I buy a used fifth wheel and live in that full time on a 5+ acre piece of property in Homer while I save money to build a log cabin. I am pretty sure I will live in this for 5 or more years so I it will need to be well insulated and roomy. Does anyone have any recommendations on year, make & model? In case you are not familiar with where Homer is, it is approximately 4 hours south of Anchorage. The average winter temperature is around 20 degrees with about 4-5' of snowfall annually. Summertime the average temp is 65 degrees, which means a/c will not be necessary.

I am specifically looking for a 34'+ model that has lots of windows and natural light, at least 3 slides but preferably 4 or more, one bedroom, washer / dryer hook up. Any advise y'all can give would help me with my search and budget.

Thanks,
Mary
20 REPLIES 20

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Excel. Arctic Fox. Teton. A couple more,
Live safe and comfortably wothout worry. Put the big windows in your cabin. Windows in an rv are not well insulated with their aluminum frames.
Winters in Alaskas short daylight hours wont give you anything to look out at anyways.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for a Teton Home.
In the 40' range with three to four slides. Very well built and insulated. They are heavy so just hire a delivery to get to your lot. Arctic Fox is a poor suggestion for what you are doing.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Homer's weather isn't all that bad (compared to Fairbanks), so an Arctic Fox will probably suit you well. Don't think I'd go with much of any other brand for this. You'll have to skirt it to insulate the bottom, but that's not until you get there and put it where you want. Your water and sewer will have to be heated as well to keep them from freezing. Again, not a really hard thing to do, but you've GOT to have power to your site first. And you really don't want a lot of windows since they let in a lot of cold.

This from someone who's spent three years up there.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Storm windows for sure. Heated tanks, lots of auxillury propane. Generator back up. You can do it!
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd look at Arctic Fox brand, they are heavily winterized. However lots of windows probably does not fit well with winter in Alaska. You might want to ask this over in the Alaska-Canada forum here, they may have some ideas. You would certainly want to install skirting around the bottom of the RV and add heat tape and maybe insulation under it. You have to worry about propane bottles getting too cold as well as the water connections freezing.

How many hours of light does Homer get in winter? Not many is my guess. I see the sun rises around 10 AM and sets at 5 PM and the average high is 29 deg with a low of 19 (This for mid January)
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go: Redwood 38FL.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload