cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Pin Box...Flex Air or MORryde ?

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a Pin Box to get rid of the chucking...fore and aft movement on rough interstate roads... not a bouncing problem with my rig.

Is the Trail Air Flex Air really worth twice the price and also having the airbag to worry about?

Trail Air Flex Air

Seems all I might need it the MORryde rubber Pin Box at half the price and less maintenance of adding air all the time.

MORryde Rubber Pin Box
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion
29 REPLIES 29

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the 5th airborne and the Tri-Glide, much prefer the Tri-glide even though they don't make it anymore. The tri-glide was a combination of the Demco Glide Ride technology added to the base plate of the standard trailair. The new Trailair Air-Flex is a combination of their Roto-Flex and standard Trailair, which is the replacement for the Tri-glide. I have no experience with that one, or the mor-ryde.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I currently have the 5th Airbourne system. Better than nothing but nowhere near as good as the Trail Air"

People that have had them both will say the same. I have had the TrailAire with and with out the TriGlide portion. The TrailAire is the best option out there unless you have an air hitch.

You can see by looking at the 5th AirBorne it would not work as well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO comparing the 2 is sort of apples & oranges.

I have had the Trail Air. Really liked it. It was great for dampening vertical shock. Lots of potential travel with the system. Not much to ease the fore & aft chucking.

I currently have the 5th Airbourne system. Better than nothing but nowhere near as good as the Trail Air. Nowhere near as much potential travel to dampen vertical shock.

No experience with the Moreryde but it looks to be the better one to reduce fore & aft chucking but do little for vertical shocks.

You choose your compromises.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Made my first trip with the new MorRyde pin box....very happy ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for all the advice.
B&W Ram Companion

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
grampscamper wrote:
I have the Mor/ryde. I'm very happy with the improvement. Like you said no maintenance and it will dramatically reduce chucking.

X2

X3
scott

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Gib3633 wrote:
Learjet: I know I'm not answering OP although could help both. I have and had tonneau covers on both of my late model 4x4 GM trucks and the Mor/yde pin boxes. In both cases the rail for tonneau cover was getting damaged. I also noticed and talked with others and some even damaged the top rail.
The problem is if you look at your second picture where your five grade eight bolts are and look just beneath the front row or row of three the tapered piece of metal where it flares out flat at 90 degrees will cut into your truck on very tight turns backing up.
The fix at Mor/yde was to cut a relief out of that area and weld in a small patch. That was the recommendation from the engineer at Lippard. It didn't look as pretty as new but appears to have solved the problem and better than damaging the truck.

That is not part of the pin box on my set up, that is part of the BAL frame. The Wings are square, except for the turn-up in the rear that you are seeing. The pin box slides into those wings. I do have clearance thought...just barely.

There are several different models of Morryde pin boxes.
B&W Ram Companion

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet: I know I'm not answering OP although could help both. I have and had tonneau covers on both of my late model 4x4 GM trucks and the Mor/yde pin boxes. In both cases the rail for tonneau cover was getting damaged. I also noticed and talked with others and some even damaged the top rail.
The problem is if you look at your second picture where your five grade eight bolts are and look just beneath the front row or row of three the tapered piece of metal where it flares out flat at 90 degrees will cut into your truck on very tight turns backing up.
The fix at Mor/yde was to cut a relief out of that area and weld in a small patch. That was the recommendation from the engineer at Lippard. It didn't look as pretty as new but appears to have solved the problem and better than damaging the truck.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
New Morryde pin box is installed, test drive to follow soon.

One thing I did was not to drill into the box to attach the break-away switch. I used an unused hole to attach. Also, used new Grade 8 bolts.

I'll report back after a few trips on the ride after install.

B&W Ram Companion

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
I have the Mor/ryde. I'm very happy with the improvement. Like you said no maintenance and it will dramatically reduce chucking.

Happy = X - whatever number it's up to.

Bought (new) 5th in 2006 with MorRyde.

MorRyde is only one I've had - never had any chucking.

(Hitch is a PR SG.)

Pin weight is approx 2200.

~

lakefinder
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5th Airborne, seems to help with the chucking, but not eliminate. It's best for smoothing out bad roads. The Mor/Ryde looks like the best for chucking. In the north, the expansion joints cause my rig to chuck, but I don't have any chucking when towing in the south (no expansion joints).

gwcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a trail air pin box rated at 21000lbs it also has the glide action. My truck has air bags and the ride is very nice. The pin box was expensive but worth every penny.It was factory installed.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. Truck air bags. B&W companion slider hitch. 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3750FL Fifth wheel Camper. Cummins 5.5 generator Goodyear G614 tires.Trail AIR pin box.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
gdweb wrote:
just curious, why not compare with trailair rota flex instead of the flex air? i think it is closer design.

I'm not a fan of the rocking motion of the head, rather the back-in-forth action of the Morryde. It seems the rocking would be transferred to the hitch head and pivot points....JMHO

FYI...I ordered the Morryde today.

I'll report back once I get it set up.
B&W Ram Companion

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
just curious, why not compare with trailair rota flex instead of the flex air? i think it is closer design.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a MorRyde pinbox and a Hensley BD3 air hitch.

I really like the MorRyde - it pretty much eliminates all the back and forth chucking.

SIMPLE IS GOOD.

I have been full timing for about 2 years now with this setup.