Rubber roof cleaning

BARRY2010
Explorer
Explorer
Was just wandering how most of you clean your rubber roof. I generally
Get on top of mine at the beginning of camping season - mid summer and
late fall. I usually just always use Thretford rubber roof cleaner and a scrub
brush. Even though our camper is always under a camper awning, the roof
still gets very dirty. There are several places that has what looks like little black
mold dots that are very hard to remove. I only want to use products that want hurt
or remove the wax finish off the fiberglass. I didn't know if a electric pressure washer
would help or could harm the roof - that in itself could be a chore to get on top. Just
wanted to see what most folks used to keep their rubber roof looking new. Thanks and
happy camping to all.
14 REPLIES 14

pickjare
Explorer
Explorer
I think all manufacturers recommend cleaning the rubber roof. Dicor sure does. I don't know if it will help the owners who keep theirs for only 6 or 7 years, probably not. But if you want to take care of the whole exterior of yours, clean and protect the roof.

I use "protect-all " brand cleaner and treatment. You'll need a good sponge, soft brush, and 2 buckets one with clean water, one to ring out the sponge and brush. Do it in the morning before it gets too hot. Allow it to dry before putting on the treatment--which I just wipe on heavy.

The cleaning removes the sacrificial white colored sludge like material that runs down sides of trailer and leaves black streaks. The treatment is like a clear wax when dry. It is very slippery, like a thick wax, so dirt doesn't stick to the roof easy. Plus it blocks some uv rays from penetrating the rubber roof thus leading to longer life.

Most importantly, you will know every square inch of your roof and can spot areas that need touched up with sealant. I do it and will continue to take the best care of the roof as I can--when the roof fails I think that is the end of a trailer unless it's caught immediately.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
gbopp wrote:
NMDriver wrote:
I do not wash my sticks and bricks roof either. 😉

Can we assume you wash and wax the sides of your S&B the same as you do your RV? :B

I don't wax it, but yes, I wash my house once a year (outside)... Too much dirt dust, corn and bean dust where I live!

Dirt dust, corn dust and bean dust.....what do you use on that *white* dust??

:@

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
oldbird1965 wrote:
If you wax the front bugs come off ten times easier!

Negats! - only *eight* times easier!

..:R

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
oldbird1965 wrote:

10 times easier for me to clean the bugs off than it is to wax on-wax off. One I can do with a hose and the other requires me to get a ladder and rub the surface and then go over it again, and still I have to spray the bugs off anyway.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
NMDriver wrote:

Can we assume you wash and wax the sides of your S&B the same as you do your RV? :B

I don't wax it, but yes, I wash my house once a year (outside)... Too much dirt dust, corn and bean dust where I live!

OP: I do not advise a power washer on the roof of your camper. But you are doing the best thing for it by washing with a soft brush and RV roof cleaner. Keep doing what your doing.

oldbird1965
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Mobil Suites 36TK3, powerstroke one ton dually.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
NMDriver wrote:

You can assume what ever you want. I shine my boots but otherwise I do not wax anything I own. Wax is for show not for go 😉

Touch up paint occasionally as needed and wash when dirty. As another poster noted I do wash my stucco walls, paint the woodwork on the house, patch what needs patching, and cut my grass.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
NMDriver wrote:

I'm one of those that does not wash either my fiver's roof or my roof at home. And yes, I do pressure wash the siding of my S&B on occasion. Just never saw the need to spend that much time up on the roof.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just did mine today. Used some Dawn dishwashing liquid plus a cup of bleach in a bucket of water. Used a soft bristle brush on the rubber and a wash mit on the AC, vent covers, and skylight. Did a lot of rinsing. Then washed the rest of the MH with car soap.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you need to have a rubber roof that is cleaner than my roof....why scrub the roof? I don't care how it looks. I only care about water intrusion. Pressure washing an RV roof is a mistake IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaner
Treatment

I have used these two products for about 15 years. Work excellently and nothing drips down the side of the unit ever.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I let the wind and rain take care of it. The likely hood of doing more harm than good and no good reason to wash it that I have ever heard of. I do not wash my sticks and bricks roof either. 😉
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spick & span with muphry oil soap

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS