cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rv insurance

HighSpeedAlumin
Explorer
Explorer
Hello guys, I just bought a fifth wheel and now I need to get insurance. I just called our insurance company that covers our house and our vehicles, and they offered a quote for RV insurance of $77 a year. That almost sounds too good to be true. The policy has the same coverages as our vehicles, but I was wondering what other things do you guys have covered specifically in your trailer RV policy? FWIW our insurance company is Liberty Mutual. When I inquired why the rates were so low, she said or truck covers the trailer when is in tow and the trailer is not much of a liability when it is sitting chocked at the campsite.

This quote is for:
Liability100k/300k
Uninsured 100k/300k
Liability property 100k
Uninsured property damage 50k
Underinsured bodily insurance 100/300k
comprehensive and collision insurance as well w/a $250 deductible.

I just want to make sure the insurance is actually worth something and want to know what to look for after I sift through the policy fine print. Your thoughts please.
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn W/ Air Suspension.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS
25 REPLIES 25

Sharps45120
Explorer
Explorer
We have Erie and also pay around $80/year for full coverage on the RV. When we had the Work and Play, they paid for an awning replacement when the entire unit was ripped from the RV during a pop up storm in the Keys. NEVER leave your awning up when you are away from the camper!
"As I stand on the beach~I slowly surrender~To the child in me~That can't say goodbye." ~ Jimmy Buffet

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We got clobbered with escalated rates because of hail, and my auto insurance jacked the RV X2. I went to Good Sam which was cheaper and I have Replacement value for several years, and purchase value for life. Some other nice perks too, but its by no means cheap.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife is the one who pays the bills/insurance bills and I asked her how much each RV was per year be cause we are on the road I a CG with the 5th wheel down in Tennessee presently and I can't access the bills right now.

She said the Lance TC was $26/6 months or $52 for the year.

Our Carriage Carrilite 5th wheel is $34/6months or $68 for the year.

Full replacement coverage on both the RV and it's contents.

$900/year is insane for even a non-motorized RV of $75,000 value or less. Insurance premiums do vary greatly from state to state and locality within the state be come on, $900/year??? In or the suburbs of big cities of a million+ are naturally higher as the risks is much higher and premiums are based on risk exposure. Economics of the city/area lived in or near make a difference too. My Brother in the West Palm Beach area of Florida (Jupiter) insurance premiums are approx 3 times our for his vehicles and his RV, but that stiil would only be a little over $200/yr.

The key to very low insurance rates is to cover all under a combined blanket policy. When we did ours back in the 1990's, our yearly premiums dropped to 1/3 of what they were. Your credit score makes a big difference (10%+) also as does a clean driving record (no tickets or accidents) and also no claims. We get a 25% blanket plan premium discount for having their "Safe Driver" classification alone and that's a huge savings each year too.

Wife hasn't had a ticket or involved in a fender bender in over 40 years now and I'm 54 years without either. My only accident was when stopped dead for an ambulance with sirens and lights going, was run into by the ambulance from behind that'd had back too soon and took my front fender and bumper literally off forward. Back when I was in college. Tickets gotten kills low insurance rates for years at min plus you get to pay the fine adding to the frosting on your insurance cake. Speed and pay and pay and pay!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We pay around $900 per year, but that includes full replacement with a new unit. In other words, if our unit was a total loss they would replace it with a new model/new model year unit. That part of our policy is what soaks up most of the premium.

Heck, reading some of these other posts maybe I should be calling around though.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toddupton,

Shop around!

We live in West Michigan on the lakeshore and our Carriage 5th wheel and Lance TC ins rates are even well less than the $77 the thread OP had posted.

Our's is insured with Citizens Ins of Michigan which is home based in Howell Michigan.

Our Vehicle/RV coverage is this:

Liability100/300K
Property liability 100K
Uninsured motorist 100/300K
Can't remember the exact amount of the medical coverage but it's adequate.
Uninsured property damage 100K
Bodily injury insurance 100/300k
Glass breakage $100 deductible
Comprehensive/Collision, Storm/Weather related damage, $250 deductible
$1000 personal contents coverage
$2000 trip interruption coverage

On same package coverage with our vehicles and covers when parked and not attacked or carried by a vehicle.

Saved a ton of money each year by having a blanket insurance package which combines, shares, and covers our main 2800 sq ft home, all our vehicles, and our 2 non-motorized RVs. We've had this insurance plan now since the early 1990's. Also has decreasing deductibles by $25/yr for each year you go without any claims or with no "at fault" motorized vehicle claims. Not "at fault" means that you were not issued a citation/ticket for having been the cause.

Had as many as 4 RV's insured at one time and 6 vehicles.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are right in line. I also have LM. When full-timing I cut a corner too tight, clipped the side of the fiver on an overhead canopy on a store, caused 10 grand worth of damage to the trailer (pulled the end cap off!!!) and they paid every penny except my $500 deductible. And didn't raise my rates. And my rates were around $70. Now with the smaller trailer they dropped to $45. Others are right. Liability is covered when towing and when parked, your house liability covers. BUT don't take our word--talk to your agent.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
It sound to low to me. I think I pay $30/month

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gilbert RV Insurance is a multi-line broker specializing in our needs.

Online at www.gilbertrvinsurance.com
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

capehank
Explorer
Explorer
Check into the RV insurance through Good Sam. Check out what it covers. There is a storage rate and on the road rate.
Cheryl Tom
Mulligan -King dog -golden retriever 5 yrs
Teddy -1/10/06-6/29/11 tripawd, always with us!
Missy -American Eskimo 15 yrs at the bridge 4/7/15
Hank -Terrier mix 17 yrs at the bridge 9/7/16
Isabella - Golden Retriever 1/10/06-11/10/16 always with us!

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Does't sound as if you are covered for replacement coverage. That will cover you for full value. Especially if you owe payments.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

HighSpeedAlumin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys guys. I now have some good questions to ask this next week when I get a chance to our insurance agent. If anyone has any more good info I am all ears. Thanks again!
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn W/ Air Suspension.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
When I inquired why the rates were so low, she said or truck covers the trailer when is in tow and the trailer is not much of a liability when it is sitting chocked at the campsite.

So....I was in the same situation; I've been towing a TT for 20 years and asked many times IF my TT was covered for liability and damage while hooked up to my tow vehicle. "Sure" was the answer I got for 20 years and then it happened....... I cut a corner too tight and damaged the siding on the camper with the edge of my tow vehicle.

So called up the insurance company - you guessed it..........

So now I have a separate policy to cover the TT under ALL circumstances for $150/year.

(BTW - the ins company came through and did eventually pay for the damage)

G
Gerry

vinr
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like a great price. My question is what the deductible is set at.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have more or less the same coverage as you and my cost is less than $100 a year for a 2012 34 ft TT
samsontdog:o:W