cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shackles, springs, etc.

dave14117
Explorer
Explorer
Our 07 Carriage Cameo tows nicely. But with about 27K miles on it, I wonder if there's anything that needs to be checked as far as the suspension is concerned. Any regular service required? Brakes have been checked and serviced.
Thanks,

Dave
6 REPLIES 6

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2010 Montana also had all of those problems. Long story short if you have a heavy trailer around 15000 lbs the only way to stop the problem is to take it to Mor/yde in Elkhart Indiana and let them install the IS suspension . That eliminates axles and springs and undersized bushings all at once. Their IS suspension is all fully adjustable and includes shock absorbers. I found them very honest and very fair to deal with. We also had them install disc brakes at same time WOW. I believe Cameo offered the IS suspension as an option as a friend of mine had it on his.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave14117 wrote:
Our 07 Carriage Cameo tows nicely. But with about 27K miles on it, I wonder if there's anything that needs to be checked as far as the suspension is concerned. Any regular service required? Brakes have been checked and serviced.

Keep an eye on the suspension, friends have about the same era Cameo and they had sagging/broken springs and the axles actually beat a mould of the top of the axle in the frame where the axle was pounding up into the frame. They added wet bolts and new heavier rated springs.

I was shocked at the carnage under there.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Our '09 Carriage had major wear in the shackles & moryde equalizer after 15k miles. I replaced the shackles, put in wet bolts, welded a sleeve through the oval worn bolt holes in the equalizer.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
My '05 Montana has about the same mileage on it and I just had the springs, equlizers and shackels & hardware replaced as they were completely shot. It pulled good also, but tires on rear axle showed signs of something wrong.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Jack_in_Alaska
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to service the wheel bearings.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 CTD 325/610 Laramie DRW 4x4 6spd 3.73
Smarty Jr; HiJacker Hitch;TrailAir pinbox;Prodigy;PacBrake;
Access cover;DeeZee;LightForce road lites; Westach EGT/Boost

2012 Jayco Jay Flite 40FER Bungalow TT

Yamaha 3000 iSEB gen.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's always a good idea to check spring eye bushings for play & any signs of oblonging.

Check shackles for any bending, cracked welds

Look for spring pack sagging/lack of arch. Check spring pack for any leafs shifting/loose-missing bands------cracked springs

Check u-bolts...spring perch for unusual marks.

Braking wiring/condition of insulation/connections for corrosion

Just a few of the things I look at when servicing my trailer.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31