cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide-outs won't retract evenly

cearly
Explorer
Explorer
Hope y'all have some ideas, because our "warranty" apparently won't cover anything on slide-outs that isn't MAJOR.
Have a 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3850RL that we bought used (about a year old last July).
On our last two trips (in November, average Texas fall weather one weekend, and pretty doggoned cold, near freezing, the next), the street-side slid that holds the entertainment center, cabinets, stove and refrigerator did not want to retract evenly from front to back. The motor noises sounded stressed, and all movement would just stop with no interference from us. Open up the slide a little, then try closing again and get a little bit further. Finally got it closed almost completely square with the sidewall of the trailer. Bedroom slide had a similar problem on the second November weekend. Both of these slides have sort of tracks at the top and bottom of the slide box that you can see. The curb-side slide does not, which I believe means that we have both electric motor and hydraulic driven slides.
Any suggestions on getting the slides squared up so that they work properly again?
Budget limitations prevent us from letting the local shop (Camping World) work on the Dutchmen at this time. Apparently there's a minimum charge of $175 (per hour) for them to just look at the unit to see if they can find a problem. I know there is a problem, so why can't they try to fix it?
Anyway, Jim and I would appreciate suggestions. Sorry it's a long post - don't know the terminology well enough to abbreviate much of anything!
Thanks, and happy RV-ing!
Jim & Chris Early
2012 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed "Moby Dick"
2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3850RL
10 REPLIES 10

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
Schwintek says do not lube their slides, but I agree lubing them really helps.

Our bedroom slide works good but our large (Stove, 4 Door Refig, Microwave, Entertainment Center and Fireplace) Schwintek slide struggles in perfect conditions (Level, Shore Power and 2 Batteries at Full Power).
Keeping it clean and lubed in the tracks and in the rollers and gears in the wall have helped a lot.

Also something else I found was the power connections at the Schwintek controllers was poor and loose, I replaced the connectors with better connectors that have stayed tight.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Infinityrver
Explorer
Explorer
cearly wrote:
Hope y'all have some ideas, because our "warranty" apparently won't cover anything on slide-outs that isn't MAJOR.
Have a 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3850RL that we bought used (about a year old last July).
On our last two trips (in November, average Texas fall weather one weekend, and pretty doggoned cold, near freezing, the next), the street-side slid that holds the entertainment center, cabinets, stove and refrigerator did not want to retract evenly from front to back. The motor noises sounded stressed, and all movement would just stop with no interference from us. Open up the slide a little, then try closing again and get a little bit further. Finally got it closed almost completely square with the sidewall of the trailer. Bedroom slide had a similar problem on the second November weekend. Both of these slides have sort of tracks at the top and bottom of the slide box that you can see. The curb-side slide does not, which I believe means that we have both electric motor and hydraulic driven slides.
Any suggestions on getting the slides squared up so that they work properly again?
Budget limitations prevent us from letting the local shop (Camping World) work on the Dutchmen at this time. Apparently there's a minimum charge of $175 (per hour) for them to just look at the unit to see if they can find a problem. I know there is a problem, so why can't they try to fix it?
Anyway, Jim and I would appreciate suggestions. Sorry it's a long post - don't know the terminology well enough to abbreviate much of anything!
Thanks, and happy RV-ing!

Hello, Jim & Chris. Welcome to the wonderful world of Infinity and the Dutchmen way of Schwintec installation. If you look on the Website for our 3850RL you will notice three new models and they've omitted our model and 7 other models. The new models have a bedroom slide that is just the width of the bed with a Schwintec slide. The Galley slide is no longer Schwintec. Obviously, Dutchmen finally figured out that they were out of their league with nice large slides that had the Schwintec system.
The people at the Dutchmen factory are clueless and could not give a darn (been there done that). The people at Schwintec know that their system is far superior to anyones (just talk to them). When you combine Dutchmen & Schwintec you get what you get.
I've just been through a 2000.00 dollar repair on my bedroom/closet slide. I've had less of an issue with my Galley/entertainment slide. Although we've done some modifications to that.
As stated in one of these post use a lubricant/dry lube on the squirly rail and into the gears in the wall cavity. Also, try running the slide back and fourth 2 or 3 times about 12" out and then back in. If your bedroom slide is doing what your galley slide is doing then you may have look into the outer box of the slide. I'll explain if needed.
If the lube and running them back and fourth don't help, look out.
Best o'luck to ya'.
Have a Happy New Year.
'12 Infinity 3850RL
'11 Ford F350 FX4 Diesel

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I have Schwintek slides. Mine started doing that, had dealer look at it. It needed lubing. Use silicone spray lube. Open slides, and pull back the seals at each track/motor. Spray lube in there, Kind of hard, just spray around as much as possible. The operator in there needs lube once in a while.

xPIXx
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

How is your battery voltage??

Low voltage will cause start/stop operation

I have seen problems with battery voltage even when plugged in to shore power because of corroded battery connections.

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a Schwintek Slide, always make sure you are plugged up to shore power when operating the slide and make sure the RV is level front to rear and left to right when operating them, they will work much better and not struggle as much.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lippert Schwintek System Info.......LINK

How is your battery voltage??

Low voltage will cause start/stop operation
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fnswhitfield
Explorer
Explorer
If the slide consistently does not close evenly on one side, it may be out of adjustment, causing one side of the slide to do all the pulling, thus the strained sound on the motor. I suggest looking for an adjustment point at the end of the slide arms.
I had a Dutchmen years ago that used a solid axle with two pinion gears that ran in a rack on each slide arm. One of these pinion gear's set screw came loose and the pinion gear jumped off the rack, causing the problem you describe. I squared up the slide, raised it slightly, slid the pinion gear back in place, and it was fine. That trailer had hydraulic slide. Good luck.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
The Schwintek slide is what I think you have with the tracks. (looks like a gear track)

Those are easily synchronized, and you can do it yourself. Look them up through Lippert Conponents, Inc website and they have videos on how to do it. Should cure the problem.

Here is a link to all the videos

Lippert University
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
I would also recommend that you do a search for threads related to slide issues. There are many that provided some detailed instructions on how to close slides when they won't retract well, or at all (could be your next issue). Also, the manufacturers of the slides can sometimes provide good advice and help pinpoint your problems. Know where your manual cranks are should you have to retract them manually.

Good luck.
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing i would suspect is dry brittle slide seals. The electric motors i stalled on Many slide rooms are marginal at best. Anything that might hinder smooth movement will cause your problems. Get some cleaner, clean the seals and lube them with slide seal lube, baby powder or dry lube. Same for the gears, rack, and tubes that support the slide rooms. I know you wont get all of them, but do what you can and then try them.