cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide usage while making pit stops..

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at toy hauler 5r's and one thing that bothers me are the floor plans that require you to open a slide or two to access the bathroom. It seems that there are very few floor plans that meet all our criteria so something is going to have to give - momma wants a wardrobe slide and I suspect she will get it.

We generally like to use "own" bathroom while on the road.
Having never had a rig with slides - is it a PIA to open and close the slides just to take a leak? does the rig need to level to run the slides in/out?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
43 REPLIES 43

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
If a slide blocks anything I don't buy it.
And you didn't. I doubt there's a coach on the market that would not block something with a slide in.

Can't speak for new units, but on our 2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39S, the only thing we can't operate with the slides closed is that we can't fully open the oven door. Other than that, everything is fully usable. That was one of the reasons we bought our particular MH. Great MH.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
And you didn't. I doubt there's a coach on the market that would not block something with a slide in.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, slides are only SEALED when fully open or closed. Anything in between can allow water, weather, critters inside ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about the same as most but ended up getting one that has to have the slides out some to get to the main bath and bedroom and even the frig. Fortunately I have the 1/2 bath in the garage that's easily accessed through the garage so the bath isn't an issue. Bedroom and frig is a different matter. You about have to get an rv with the bath on the street side in order to get access to bed and bath without slides out. We mainly wanted to be able to load the frig at home so the frig had to be on the curbside of the rv.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Explorer II
Explorer II
We do not have access to our fridge/pantry with the LR slide in. I need to bump it out about a foot to get to it. I find it no issue at all. Heck, DW has done it at a stop light to get some snacks.

We fully deploy it for lunch wherever we are, close it when we turn in while Wally or truck stop camping. Even at a truck stop I can still bump it out enough if a truck pulls in next to us.

But if we didn't have access to the head or the bed I probably wouldn't have bought it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Learned our lesson with a previous trailer...

Deal breaker: a slide that blocks access to bedroom, bathroom, refrigerator, pantry.

X10
Why buy an rv that restricts you from using items inside which is the whole reason you buy an rv to travel in?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Y-Guy
We've WallyDocked a few times, and had to pull in the slides during high wins or extreme cold/heat, so for me not having access to the bathroom or panty/fridge or bedroom is a deal breaker. There are almost always other floorplans out there that can work, but ultimately its 100% up to you.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
I would not have a camper that did not have everything accessible with the slides in. We use our camper a lot ... especially in winter ... with slides "in," in order to help on heating propane usage. It makes a world of difference with slides in or out when heating the camper when it's below freezing temperatures.

When traveling, we have access to everything without deploying the slides. No matter where we stop, there's never a problem. And many, many times we've simply pulled over on the shoulder, run back in the camper, and used the bathroom. Deploying slides on the shoulder of an highway or an interstate, well .... that's just never going to happen! So, accessibility is an absolute must for us.

Ours is a TT, not a 5er. For lots of reasons we opted for a TT instead of a 5er, and still happy with our decision. I think TT's are more forgiving on accessibility with slides in than 5er's. Maybe you could rethink your RV of choice if accessibility is critical in your world? (It's just a thought there).

I do know, the wrong camper will be no fun. You need to make sure it's functional under any condition. You never know when you'll need to use it under less than pristine conditions.

Dutchmen I hear ya but being able To fully use your RV with all slides in is the exception not the rule. Having access to bathroom at all times is a must. Having access to your bed is also a nice feature.
But having full access to the entire rig is really not necessary.
You may find the need to over night or use the bathroom while traveling. Having access to the fridge is also a big plus. But I don't need to watch TV, do laundry or sit at the table with slides in.
Slides in scenario's are usually just for a couple of hours or possibly overnight.
But I have yet to need to be turtled (slides in). for a full 24 hour period. If I am going to be in the same place for an extended period
I open the slides and use my rig the way it was intended.
Slides provide a bonus/extra space.
Expecting the RV to be fully accessible with slides in or out amounts to overkill and is not a reasonable requirement or for most
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
A toy hauler like the Grand Design 328m has no central island that could get in the way with the slide in.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We use ours at rest stops all the time. My only suggestion would be to not deploy it if the RV is leaning heavily. I've found slides don't seem to have much power to overcome gravity.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
If you like, post up the make/model you are looking at and maybe someone can suggest a very similar model that doesn't have those limitations ๐Ÿ˜‰

Either way, it must suit YOU and YOUR family, not us. But it is helpful to know why others prefer or don't...

I will confess that a blocked non-access to bathroom and walking through living area and fridge with slides in made us consider a different camper- ultimately the next one was the one we wanted.

Good luck!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, as Dutchmen mentioned above you can have a lot warmer rig with the slides in and therefore save propane also. And the reverse is true of being easier to stay cool when it's over 100F. To do this you need to be able to access everything with the slides in.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I would not have a camper that did not have everything accessible with the slides in. We use our camper a lot ... especially in winter ... with slides "in," in order to help on heating propane usage. It makes a world of difference with slides in or out when heating the camper when it's below freezing temperatures.

When traveling, we have access to everything without deploying the slides. No matter where we stop, there's never a problem. And many, many times we've simply pulled over on the shoulder, run back in the camper, and used the bathroom. Deploying slides on the shoulder of an highway or an interstate, well .... that's just never going to happen! So, accessibility is an absolute must for us.

Ours is a TT, not a 5er. For lots of reasons we opted for a TT instead of a 5er, and still happy with our decision. I think TT's are more forgiving on accessibility with slides in than 5er's. Maybe you could rethink your RV of choice if accessibility is critical in your world? (It's just a thought there).

I do know, the wrong camper will be no fun. You need to make sure it's functional under any condition. You never know when you'll need to use it under less than pristine conditions.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Learned our lesson with a previous trailer...

Deal breaker: a slide that blocks access to bedroom, bathroom, refrigerator, pantry.

For me only the bathroom is a true deal breaker.
Access to the other areas is negotiable
Yep, me too. Our fridge is only accessible with the kitchen slide out, but it's the small one so it's not a biggie. But I really wouldn't want to have to open a slide every time to use the bathroom. We sometimes stop for a bathroom break on the side of the road or Exit/Entry ramps, usually not very level at all.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m looking for a fiver with the refrigerator accessible, though itโ€™s not a complete deal breaker. I donโ€™t think itโ€™s a big deal if you run out the slide to have lunch. It is a big deal if you forget to bring it back in before leaving.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS