cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slider hitch or regular

teschman
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Silverado 3500HD crew cab 6.6 foot bed. We are also buying a Keystone Laredo 329RE that claims to have Max Turn Technology. The salesman says we don't need a slider a waste of money. But from everything I've read you should always use a slider on a short bed. We were trailer pullers before and this was never an issue. Advice would be appreciated as sales guys are interested in one thing "making the sale"
32 REPLIES 32

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
My slider hitch was $200 more than the non-slider. Why not pay that little difference and not worry about it?
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
I've also ready where the driver had a manual slider, but was too lazy to get out and slide it backward. The result was a dent in the 5er and a broken glass. I've also read where the driver had an auto slider but it failed to do what it was intended to do and the result was a dent in the 5er and a broken glass.
I have the 5er that will not make a 90* with my truck. I opted away from any slider and take nothing for granted, so now, and always have had my wife stand beside as spotter for any closeness that happens. We haven't hit in 9 years, but it could happen just as it can and has happened to others with a slider of some type.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer I watched a guy backing in blow out his back window. He had a manual slider. He forgot to pull the handle. My point is nothing is 100% foolproof.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
I have a Pullrite SuperGlide autoslide hitch. Bought it some 6 years ago. Paid a fortune for it. Needed it then. Now my trailer is the relieved corner design.

You can probably get along without a slider, if you are careful. Watch out for tight off camber backing turns, and tight 180 degree U-Turns. Even with a relieved corner trailer this two cases can get you. And when that happens, the cost of the slider seems much cheaper.

Agree with Vulcaneer. Everyone may have clearance when the truck and trailer are level. That 3" clearance between the front of the trailer and back window will soon disappear if you are backing into a site that is slightly up hill. If those trailer tires are 3" above the truck tires then the 3" clearance is gone.

For the little extra money for a manual slider, it's good insurance.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pullrite SuperGlide autoslide hitch. Bought it some 6 years ago. Paid a fortune for it. Needed it then. Now my trailer is the relieved corner design.

You can probably get along without a slider, if you are careful. Watch out for tight off camber backing turns, and tight 180 degree U-Turns. Even with a relieved corner trailer this two cases can get you. And when that happens, the cost of the slider seems much cheaper.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
The decision to use a sliding hitch is a math problem.

If having a slider makes you feel better, buy one.

If the math shows you don't need a slider, then don't buy one.

I did the math, I don't need one.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
teschman wrote:
We are also buying a Keystone Laredo 329RE that claims to have Max Turn Technology. The salesman says we don't need a slider a waste of money.

ask the salesman and dealership if he will put a promise in writing along with a commitment to repair, at no charge, any damage that might to be caused to the truck and/or camper for so long as you own them

Jim

As times and technology changes, a lot of mind sets do not. I think folks should be given the facts or opinions if that is what they ask for and they should make up their own mind. Laredo used to demonstrate that technology on their site. It works for me.

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
ask the salesman and dealership if he will put a promise in writing along with a commitment to repair, at no charge, any damage that might to be caused to the truck and/or camper for so long as you own them

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Are you serious????

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
teschman wrote:
We are also buying a Keystone Laredo 329RE that claims to have Max Turn Technology. The salesman says we don't need a slider a waste of money.

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

TrooperTaylor
Explorer
Explorer
teschman wrote:
Just bought a Silverado 3500HD crew cab 6.6 foot bed. We are also buying a Keystone Laredo 329RE that claims to have Max Turn Technology. The salesman says we don't need a slider a waste of money. But from everything I've read you should always use a slider on a short bed. We were trailer pullers before and this was never an issue. Advice would be appreciated as sales guys are interested in one thing "making the sale"

Your 6.6 foot bed is not a short bed its a standard bed. Short beds are a foot shorter usually and long beds are 8 foot.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500. I measure 6'6" from the back of the cab to the inside of the tailgate.

I just purchased a B&W Companion hitch ( non sliding ) and a 2014 Cougar 330rbk with max turn technology.

Backing into my driveway I had to turn past 90 degrees to get in.

So in my application I do not need a slider.
2012 Ram 2500 4X2 6.7 CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar 330RBK

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
Get a slider.Dont need it till you need it.I wouldnt want to find out I needed a slider when the nose hits my cab.Jmo

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2500 Chevy, and use a Curt hitch with a slider. Not sure is a must but is good to know I have it if necessary.

txdutt
Explorer
Explorer
My setup is similar but I went ahead & bought a slider on my Curt hitch--all it takes is one time to need it....so far I haven't but...
2011 Ford F250 Lariat C/C 6.7 PSD w/Curt 20K Lb Hitch & rear Timbrens
2013 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2013 Infinity 3860MS 5'er/15.5K GVW/41'
U.S. Navy 1978-1986

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 GMC 3500HD with a 6.5' bed.

I tow an Excel Winslow 5th wheel with a standard B&W Companion hitch.

20K miles towing without incident.

With my combo I feel no need for a sliding hitch.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
GM trucks normally have good cab clearance, with the 6.5 bed.

The newer FWs that are designed to work with the short bed also give good clearance.

I have not used a slider with my last two Fords, due to good clearance.

If you are used to backing a TT, you know you need to pay attention, so your bumper doesn't hit the TT.

I would get a quality hitch, but agree with the sales person, you don't need to have a slider.

Welcome to the forum!!

Jerry