cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slider hitch

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
How many people that have a slider hitch have used it and how often?
Short bed trucks. I hear trailers are made so you don't need it but just wondering who has used and under what circumstances?
Those that don't have it do you wish you did?
Thsnks
43 REPLIES 43

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a short bed truck and you have to make really sharp turns you will be glad if you have a slider, I don't have to use mine very often but when I need it I have it, and there have been a few times I had to use it, some of these sights in these RV parks leave a lot to be desired. Happy Camping

Dman1
Explorer
Explorer
Dman1 wrote:
gtsum wrote:
Dman1 wrote:
We are in the same boat. We have a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Standard Box (6'4") with the fifth wheel prep package. We pick up our 2016 Sabre 34TBOK in a few weeks. I have never towed anything larger than a Rockwood Roo 19 hybrid with an SUV, so this is all new to me. I am considering the Superglide and the Andersen. We will likely be camping in a seasonal site most of the time, but we are traveling 2100 km to pick up our camper and will be stopping at four or five campgrounds on the way back...most of which I have never camped at and do not know the terrain, etc. Our seasonal site after that has alot of 90 degree turns throughout the park. Again, I have no experience hauling fifth wheels and that is pushing me to the Superglide as well, so as to minimize the guesswork and giving me one less think to consider when figuring things out. I am not sure if the Anderson will sit back far enough. The weight and the cost are two big factors why I am even thinking about the Anderson, as the removal of the Superglide looks to be challenging.

I wish PulRite had a Superglide model that dropped right into the Ram's fifth wheel puck holes. The B&W Companion would be nice, but is not a slider. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anybody with a similar setup, and if so, what do you use for a hitch?

Edit: What about using a B&W Companion Hitch (I believe they drop right into the Ram's puck system) and a Reese Sidewinder hitch adapter?

I have a 2014 3500 SRW with factory fifth wheel pucks. I went through the same thing as you and ended up with B&W RVK3600 for Ram and then use a 19k sidewinder (2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome). It works great. I am using almost all my payload capacity with hitch, family and pin weight (4074lbs per sticker), so Superglide weight was a concern..as well as sitting up too high (which many have had happen with the newer ram trucks). The B&W hitch is rock solid...love the jaws on it...the sidewinder works slick, but I really wish they made a 19k air ride model (seems 16k is high as the air ride goes).

If I go dually, I would likely get a TS3 hitch and call it a day, but for the 3500 SRW with factory pucks, the B&W/Sidewinder combo is great

Thanks. I got this setup priced up and was amazed at how much more expensive the B&W/Sidewinder option was versus the Superglide/Picture frame option...hence, I am leaning towards the SuperGlide. I have discussed with other people who haul the newer Sabre's with the newer Rams with the Superglide/Picture Frame option and they say that it's that far from being level.

My salesman is pushing the Demco hitch hard. I don't hear much about these so I am a bit leery.

So many options to choose from. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!

Sorry for the late reply. For the record, I went with the Superglide. I know for a fact that this saved me a couple of times and a couple of rear windows. The Sidewinder was not compatible with my trailer (or at least the manufacturer didn't recommend it). I hauled my trailer over 2300 km from Ohio to New Brunswick and there were no worries whatsoever in regards to the hitch...although, with this being my first fiver, I have no basis for comparison.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Timay
Explorer
Explorer

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Reese Sidewinder/Revolution pinbox is a great solution. Mine has had 3 seasons with an F150 CCSB 5'7" bed and now with a 6.75' F350. Fully automatic and over 90 degree turns are no problem.
Reese Sidewinder demo
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Dman1 wrote:

My salesman is pushing the Demco hitch hard. I don't hear much about these so I am a bit leery.

I have the Demco Superslide and quite like it. The good is that you can tow any trailer with it without a 'key' installed on the hitch pin. I had a Reese prior to this one and had chucking and I could not get it to slide -this hitch stopped the chucking and the autoslide works just great! I would recommend the Demco!

Tim

routemaster
Explorer
Explorer
In the Ten years I owned the GMC never used it at all.
2017 Landmark Arlington 365
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

Dman1
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
Dman1 wrote:
We are in the same boat. We have a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Standard Box (6'4") with the fifth wheel prep package. We pick up our 2016 Sabre 34TBOK in a few weeks. I have never towed anything larger than a Rockwood Roo 19 hybrid with an SUV, so this is all new to me. I am considering the Superglide and the Andersen. We will likely be camping in a seasonal site most of the time, but we are traveling 2100 km to pick up our camper and will be stopping at four or five campgrounds on the way back...most of which I have never camped at and do not know the terrain, etc. Our seasonal site after that has alot of 90 degree turns throughout the park. Again, I have no experience hauling fifth wheels and that is pushing me to the Superglide as well, so as to minimize the guesswork and giving me one less think to consider when figuring things out. I am not sure if the Anderson will sit back far enough. The weight and the cost are two big factors why I am even thinking about the Anderson, as the removal of the Superglide looks to be challenging.

I wish PulRite had a Superglide model that dropped right into the Ram's fifth wheel puck holes. The B&W Companion would be nice, but is not a slider. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anybody with a similar setup, and if so, what do you use for a hitch?

Edit: What about using a B&W Companion Hitch (I believe they drop right into the Ram's puck system) and a Reese Sidewinder hitch adapter?

I have a 2014 3500 SRW with factory fifth wheel pucks. I went through the same thing as you and ended up with B&W RVK3600 for Ram and then use a 19k sidewinder (2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome). It works great. I am using almost all my payload capacity with hitch, family and pin weight (4074lbs per sticker), so Superglide weight was a concern..as well as sitting up too high (which many have had happen with the newer ram trucks). The B&W hitch is rock solid...love the jaws on it...the sidewinder works slick, but I really wish they made a 19k air ride model (seems 16k is high as the air ride goes).

If I go dually, I would likely get a TS3 hitch and call it a day, but for the 3500 SRW with factory pucks, the B&W/Sidewinder combo is great

Thanks. I got this setup priced up and was amazed at how much more expensive the B&W/Sidewinder option was versus the Superglide/Picture frame option...hence, I am leaning towards the SuperGlide. I have discussed with other people who haul the newer Sabre's with the newer Rams with the Superglide/Picture Frame option and they say that it's that far from being level.

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Dman1 wrote:

2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Dman1
Explorer
Explorer

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice on the superglide. I went with a sidewinder because superglide doesnt mount directly into my factory pucks, but if they did have a factory mount one, I would have went that route I think (but I love my B&W):)
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a manual for years, never used it, now have a Sidewinder.

Two reasons for spending the dollars on the Airborne:
1. A manual will not be used when needed.
2. It may not seem to be needed but an unlevel spot in the right place will prove that it was needed.

Happy not to have to think about it now.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
jamieline wrote:
Pullrite superglide
Good move. Not cheap but peace of mind is priceless!!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
jamieline wrote:
Pullrite superglide

Only way to go if you are going slider. Good choice .

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite superglide