cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So the itch won't go away

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
I've had it for a couple years now. Very happy with my Jayco 5er, but the very near future is going to result in a new rv. DW and I have gone back and forth between keeping ours, upgrading to a TH and even jumping to a Moho. After all is said and done (and to keep the bank account out of the morgue), We think a shiny new TH is the answer. Here's my question for all you experts--- what don't I know about a toy hauler? What have you learned the hard way, or wished you knew then that you know now? What do I "have to have" or should what should be left off that I'm not thinking of yet? The motivation for the jump is to be able to take a cart with us and have separate bedrooms for the sons and daughter. The other half of the equation is a new truck, most definitely a one ton diesel dually as "the one" is 44 feet and 16000lbs. Wow that sounds like a lot. Anyways, thanks for the input, much appreciated.
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Dually Duramax L5P
2015.5 Jayco Seismic 3902
2015 EZGO Express S4 buggy
15 REPLIES 15

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
benb21601 wrote:
BlueknightWI wrote:
I'm brand new to this site. I'm retiring the end of Feb. We will continue to use a TH as a camper but with the Harley along. I'm looking at mid-line units as I want to stay around the 11,000 UVWR. I have a 2008 Duramax without duals. Occasionally we would tow out to Sturgis from central WI. Maybe a week in Nashville area or similar. I'm looking at a lightly used 2011 Raptor 300MP. Anyone have any insight into those rigs? I think I can pull it okay, and Raptor is known for quality. Someone give me some insight on anything. Looking at attending the Mpls. RV show as well. Also looking at adding air bags to the truck per my son-in-law.
Thanks!

I put bags on my SRW and it helped greatly. Skip all the other options and do it right--get the bags.

Had airbags on my 05 LLY, now have Timbrens on my F350. I like the Timbrens much better. Don't have to adjust for loaded or unloaded weights. Just hitch up and go. Ride unloaded is factory, ride loaded is level and comfortable.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
BlueknightWI wrote:
I'm brand new to this site. I'm retiring the end of Feb. We will continue to use a TH as a camper but with the Harley along. I'm looking at mid-line units as I want to stay around the 11,000 UVWR. I have a 2008 Duramax without duals. Occasionally we would tow out to Sturgis from central WI. Maybe a week in Nashville area or similar. I'm looking at a lightly used 2011 Raptor 300MP. Anyone have any insight into those rigs? I think I can pull it okay, and Raptor is known for quality. Someone give me some insight on anything. Looking at attending the Mpls. RV show as well. Also looking at adding air bags to the truck per my son-in-law.
Thanks!

I put bags on my SRW and it helped greatly. Skip all the other options and do it right--get the bags.

BlueknightWI
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
We're brand new to RV'g, 5th Wheel and TH ! so not not sure my uninformed opinion would count for much.....but what little I've learned in getting ready over the last year and 1/2 for our next adventure....

We considered a 5er BH for the extra sleeping, but the TH;s all seemed to have greater Cargo capacity, greater tankage and almost universally come with the Onan genset as a standard. That plus having the flexibility of using the garage for various purposes rather than dedicated bunkhouse finally swayed us.

My TV is a (new to me) 2013 F450 that we flew down to Chicago to pickup and drove back up the hwy last fall. Awesome truck, unbelievable turning radius, 24k towing and 14k GVW. I picked up a 24ft enclosed for my son while we were down there and averaged 12.8 mpg (ok it was empty) for the 4k return trip. With no regard to trying to maximize mileage (often cruising at 70+ where safely able)

that's my 2 cents..........

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
honda4us wrote:
Dmax is up to the take 🙂 See our signature
Love our toy hauler!

16-17k sure, the D-max will handle it. I know with my setup, it was either Ram or Ford, as GM 1-ton did not support my trailer and aux tank. Just because the truck is rated to pull a 17k trailer, does not mean that the truck axle weights and the GVWR numbers are legit. Since we travel as a family, staying within the engineered safety limits was a concern for me.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
honda4us wrote:
Love our toy hauler!

Thanks for the positive on the dmax. What in wis are you? I grew up in wild rose. About 90 min north of madison. Planning a trip up there next year.

honda4us
Explorer
Explorer
Love our toy hauler!
Martin & Wendy
Jessica & Alex
Sundance the guard dog
'15 3500HD C/C LTZ BLACK LMLD/A 4X4,B & W HITCH :B
'12 3500 EC/LB SRW
'13 Raptor 381LEV W/GOODYEAR G614's
4 Honda ATV's,:B '14 Can-AM Spyder RT-Limited :B

Ralleys attended 17 and counting :B:B

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
5500 onan gen is std. I'm figuring 16-17000 total weight. Dually Duramax should do the job or at least I hope it will.

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Weight, weight, weight!!! We went from an Outback BH to a Voltage TH. We upgraded the truck first...the trailer, fully loaded for us to hit the road is 19,600. We have a few hundred to spare, but she is heavy. Even with my shiny new truck with the 14k GVWR package, we are barely within the numbers. With the dog, fuel, and people, we are 13,900, verified last month, though I do have a 100 gallon aux tank, if not for that, we would have plenty of weight to spare, but would have to fuel during the day, instead of at night.

I think you will find the TH to be made of heavier materials, since it will take more of a beating than a non TH.

The length definitely will knock some parks out of contention. Some of our favorite places are no longer an option, or there aren't enough big spots.

Not sure if I saw it, but the generator on board is great. The DW fires the generator up and starts setting up and cooling the coach until I get around to hooking up power.

Cale

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Length is the main issue for some parks but

We got a TH so the grown kids can come along (total 5 adults 1 child, 2-3 dogs plenty of room when needed).......... 4 queen size beds plus the table bed are a plus. 2 Queens in the garage, 1 queen loft, the the main bedroom over the front) A separate extra bedroom is a plus, yes the golf cart can come along easily, the garage is an extra bedroom, a garage, a living room, or what ever...... we have no regrets.........

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a hell of a rig! I concur on the party deck, would rather sit out under the awning on the ground.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
Completed the order sheet. Added 3 airs, thermopane windows, double fridge, fireplace cooktop + convection microwave and a half bath. Already comes with 6 point leveling and dual awnings and everything else I think of. Opted out of the party deck. I can't see me ever choosing that instead of grass. Now onto the truck.

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with Dutchmen, weight is the biggest difference. Second is furniture quality/comfort. They seem to be getting better but some of the TH brands have some crappy furniture for what they cost.
If you plan to do lots of state parks 40+ feet can be a challenge. Some of these parks (at least in FL)haven't change much since they were first open, back when a big camper was 26ft.
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

DennisVR
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new to us 40' Fuzion 405 and loving it. This is our first trip with it and staying here in Lake Havasu for 2 months. We had 5th wheels in the past and we love the TH. We came across this one used and fell in love with the floorplan, it has a 12' garage and 1 1/2 bath. We boondock a lot so the 2 43 gallon black tanks and the 120 gallon fresh water tank will work great for us.