cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Tanks

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't they put mounted tanks in FW like they have in Class A or C? With that being said has anyone had one mounted in their FW.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
22 REPLIES 22

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
My biggest issue is that they most often, nowadays, put the damn tanks on opposite sides from each other. I =like= my tanks next to each other.

Lyle

Our first 5er had them both on the same side. 1986 King of the Road 28' the tanks were on a full extension slide out, meaning the inside tank was 3' outside the body of the 56er when the tray was all the way out, so easy to change either.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
But it sure helps clear up some storage by having them on both sides outside the actual frame. Mine have always been that way and never found it to be an inconvenience.

What I did find to be an inconvenience was our Motorhome with an ASME tank and trying to maneuver that thing up close to some of these small ma and pa fueling stations that installed propone fill convenience as an afterthought. I could have never got into half of them with a 40 ft fifth wheel and truck.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
My biggest issue is that they most often, nowadays, put the damn tanks on opposite sides from each other. I =like= my tanks next to each other.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a fiver at the show last year. It had a 90 gallon tank mounted underneath, and you could also take bottles with you too. I had to talk to the guy about this because its the first time I heard of a permanently mounted tank on a fiver. Thats a lot of propane! I forget what manufacturer it was, but it was a nice rig and priced at the 90 range.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MM49 wrote:
Colo Native wrote:
Why don't they put mounted tanks in FW like they have in Class A or C? With that being said has anyone had one mounted in their FW.

I don't know if I would want a fixed tank. I would however like improved larger, lighter aluminum tanks.

I fish in the Michigan UP a met a senior that was camping in an Airstream. The trailer was an original from the 50's. It had 40# polished aluminum tanks. I helped the senior unload his generator and took his tanks to be refilled. I was amazed at how light they were.

If I had a RV with enough room I would consider upgrading to 40# aluminum cylinders used on commercial lift trucks.
MM49

Check the cost of those aluminum cylinders
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiSmuggs wrote:
If you wanted mounted tanks on your fiver, you could just leave them in place and tow it to be filled. Then you get the experience without the cost. If you don't like it, you are not out anything.
Hey, great idea!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
If you wanted mounted tanks on your fiver, you could just leave them in place and tow it to be filled. Then you get the experience without the cost. If you don't like it, you are not out anything.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:

I don't know if I would want a fixed tank. I would however like improved larger, lighter aluminum tanks.

I fish in the Michigan UP a met a senior that was camping in an Airstream. The trailer was an original from the 50's. It had 40# polished aluminum tanks. I helped the senior unload his generator and took his tanks to be refilled. I was amazed at how light they were.

If I had a RV with enough room I would consider upgrading to 40# aluminum cylinders used on commercial lift trucks.
MM49

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually propane cylinders are under DOT jurisdiction....that is why they have to be re-certified 12 yrs. after mfg. date.

Permanent tanks are under ASME Pressure Vessel/NFPA jurisdiction.......do not need re-certification.

I would rather cart a propane cylinder to be refilled vs towing my 5vr to get a propane tank refilled.

Propane cylinders are easier to stow/locate in 5vr/TT's.
Not sure where a propane tank would be installed

We typically go 6 weeks on a 30# cylinder.

What benefit would there be having a permanent tank ?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I can't justify, but Motor Homes come under DOT Propane Code rules. Towablescome under ASTME Propane code.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The only advantage I can think of for the frame mounted tanks is I believe they are larger capacity. We have two 40# tanks, but I think our old motor home tank was over 100# if I remember.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Not all MH's drag a toad, so going to refill propane tanks would involve driving the MH to the filling station no matter what. All trailers have a TV, and by being removable you just put the empties in the TV, take them to be filled, and return - all without touching (other then R&R) the trailer. No braking camp needed. My 405 has 3 tanks, 2 in use and the third on the side as a spare. I just upgraded the 2 main tanks to 40's (from 30's) for more winter fun. When needed I fish the propane hose to the spare, run off that and refill the main tanks. I put 5' pigtails on the auto changeover regulator, so I can reach the spare, or any tank sitting on the ground without needing any extra pieces. The trailer lives in my backyard when not in use, so a standard 20lb bbq tank is attached for heat during the random power outages, keeps the onboard tanks full for camping. I plan on taking the -now extra- 30's along to use when camping in the snow.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was just wondering, what the advantage would be to having permanently mounted LP tanks? Seems like more of a hassle to me. It's a lot easier to pull mine and take them to the fill station than hauling my 40' toyhauler to the same place.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
MH are motor vehicles therefore required by DOT to have the tanks permanently mounted. I think if it weren't for that they would have re moveable also. I can't think of any advantage to a permanently installed tank. It's more of a hassle to fill, can't be "swapped", can't be traded in when re certification is necessary, etc.
However, if you really want one, by all means, get one installed. I'm not sure who would do the work. Possible a MH manufacturer. Does the maker of your trailer also make MHs? That's where I would start.