cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panel mounting; screws or toggle bolts?

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Brain Trust,

I am about to add some more solar to the roof. When I did my first panel, I used toggle bolts and just went through the plywood. So the holes were a little large; that's what Dicor is for!

My first 6' x 3' panel has four brackets and hasn't blown off in over 20,000 miles of travel.

I am using 4" x 2" aluminum angle. My question to you all is can I just use 4 #12 x 1" screws on each bracket, rather than the bulldozer approach of the toggle bolts and still have enough holding power?

What is everyone else doing for amounting method?

Thanks in advance, Rick
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out
10 REPLIES 10

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
Wet Coast wrote:
Hello Brain Trust,

I am about to add some more solar to the roof. When I did my first panel, I used toggle bolts and just went through the plywood. So the holes were a little large; that's what Dicor is for!

My first 6' x 3' panel has four brackets and hasn't blown off in over 20,000 miles of travel.

I am using 4" x 2" aluminum angle. My question to you all is can I just use 4 #12 x 1" screws on each bracket, rather than the bulldozer approach of the toggle bolts and still have enough holding power?

What is everyone else doing for amounting method?

Thanks in advance, Rick

I used Well Nuts:

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
EgorKC wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Frankly, the modern thing to do is use 3M VHB 4950 double sided tape and stop putting holes in your roof.

If the VHB tape is going over a rubber roof the mechanical connection is only as strong as the adhesive bond between rubber and wood. The VHB will likely Never fail. However, the wind uplift could cause the rubber roof adhesive to fail. We have all seen that trailer coming down the opposite side of the highway with the giant air bubble beneath. I would not risk having an 8 square foot kite peeling my roof off. Could be a problem for traffic behind too.
Greg

Very True. The OP did not say he had a rubber roof so I didn't know.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd try to get at least the most forward screws/bolts into a roof truss. They will be the parts that have the most uplift.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
I would just use lag bolts and Dicor the heck out of the bolts and brackets. Put butyl tale under the bracket before you bolt them down.

Ken

x2, exactly what I did. 3 seasons and no leaks.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my roof I put down a strip of Eternabond under the "feet" of the solar panels, then put down some Dicor and set the "feet" down and screw that down to the roof.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Frankly, the modern thing to do is use 3M VHB 4950 double sided tape and stop putting holes in your roof.

If the VHB tape is going over a rubber roof the mechanical connection is only as strong as the adhesive bond between rubber and wood. The VHB will likely Never fail. However, the wind uplift could cause the rubber roof adhesive to fail. We have all seen that trailer coming down the opposite side of the highway with the giant air bubble beneath. I would not risk having an 8 square foot kite peeling my roof off. Could be a problem for traffic behind too.
Greg
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to YouTube and search for well nuts.
I've used well nuts on two campers and consider them the best way to attach solar panels.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dicor over screws into 3/8 plywood has held up well for me. Tape is a good idea except I have a rubber roof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just use lag bolts and Dicor the heck out of the bolts and brackets. Put butyl tale under the bracket before you bolt them down.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot