2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
45 REPLIES 45

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
According to a recent article in Trailer Life, ST's have stiffer sidewalls than LT's and handle better. They went on to explain that they also can handle the side stresses of tight turns better than LT tire construction.
I have no idea how accurate any of that is but it is plausible.

Riiiiight. Put two similar tires, one ST and one LT on the scales and see which it the "heavier duty" tire. I'll give you an ST is stiffer than a P tire, but no way are they stiffer than a good LT.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
He works for Trailers of the East Coast that tells me that he is trying to sale push ST tires, as a lots of trailers owners have gone to LT tires. JMHO

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
I think this would be a great story for the "Myth Busters" to solve..

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
According to a recent article in Trailer Life, ST's have stiffer sidewalls than LT's and handle better. They went on to explain that they also can handle the side stresses of tight turns better than LT tire construction.
I have no idea how accurate any of that is but it is plausible.

If you think (believe) it's "plausible" why spend the (any) extra bucks for brand name LT tires?

Just get the latest & greatest brand of ST tires and enjoy!..:C

BTW - Trailer Life (Affinity Group):
GY (Marathon STs) is a major advertiser in TL, GY sold at CW - and.....they can fix you right up with GS ERS (which is probably a good idea for the Maypops).

Do you really think -in your wildest dreams- TL would consider an article in any way, shape or form - negative toward ST tires?..:S

Looks like a win, win, win - for "somebody"!..:W

~

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Semi trucks use "Light Truck" tires?
Come one now!:W

My bad, they just don't have any LT/ST/P designations on them :). I just had it in my head that I saw the letters LT on our bus tires at work. bah, I must be going cross-eyed with all the******I look at every so often. Good ol' LR-J tires though, I know for sure that's the load rating we run.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
He forgot to check sidewall stiffness on the LT.
His primary evidence of strength is the weight rating on the sidewall :R

I was hoping he would show the cut cross section to see what is really there.
Better salesman than engineer IMHO.

I find it intresting that the 16" LT tire was load rated at 2,680# what size was it 210/75-16 E ????

The standard 16" tire on most PU is 245/75-16 E and have a rating of 3,084#, he was blowing smoke!

My 5er runs LT tires now and when replaced they will be LT's also!!!

Semi's runn the same tire and carcass, in all positions, so will I!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
He forgot to check sidewall stiffness on the LT.
His primary evidence of strength is the weight rating on the sidewall :R

I was hoping he would show the cut cross section to see what is really there.
Better salesman than engineer IMHO.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting video... Thanks for sharing. Good to know that all those tread separations and blow-outs were just from old tires....kind of like this three year old tire, great tread, just checked the air pressure...and then this....sidewall failure...

Love me some ST tires...after all...if we all ran LT tires we wouldn't have anything to complain about. Lol

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
Why don't the majority of major tire manufactures make ST tires? Goodyear is one of the few. Haven't seem much from Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone, BF Goodrich etc. None bother with ST's. Almost all are off brand Chinese manufactures.

Firestone/BFG/Goodyear/Delta/Cooper/Carlisle and others I've forgotten all made a ST tire here in the USA years back. Sometime in the '80s era they started dropping their ST lines or started moving them out of the USA.
I was using BFG and Goodyear ST tires back then with little success. Goodyear dropped me as I was having too many Marathons replaced under warranty on my equipment/flatdeck trailers.
BFG said their P and LT tire lines were a better choice.

The ST is a niche tire and simply doesn't have shear numbers of tires sold to be profitable so I've read. Same with much of the tires used in the agriculture/construction industry. At one time they also were all made in the USA.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't the majority of major tire manufactures make ST tires? Goodyear is one of the few. Haven't seem much from Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone, BF Goodrich etc. None bother with ST's. Almost all are off brand Chinese manufactures.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow Catcher wrote:
ST's are not tested to the same standard as LT particularly with regards to speed. All of the ST's I could find were made in China and they do not have a good reputation.

Maxxis is not made in China.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
jus2shy wrote:
More "pacifically", I think he is speaking way too generally in regards to vehicle tires. I guess those LT tires on Semi Trucks & Trailers are completely wrong. I keep seeing "LT" on those tires! ๐Ÿ˜›

Semi trucks use "Light Truck" tires?
Come one now!:W

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
ST's are not tested to the same standard as LT particularly with regards to speed. All of the ST's I could find were made in China and they do not have a good reputation.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
May be plausible, but if you've checked out ST tires and LT tires side-by-side you'll see that the statement "ST's have stiffer sidewalls than LT's" is nonsense.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
More "pacifically", I think he is speaking way too generally in regards to vehicle tires. I guess those LT tires on Semi Trucks & Trailers are completely wrong. I keep seeing "LT" on those tires! ๐Ÿ˜›
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)